Back to Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++ by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course teaches learners how to write a program in the C++ language, including how to set up a development environment for writing and debugging C++ code and how to implement data structures as C++ classes. It is the first course in the Accelerated CS Fundamentals specialization, and subsequent courses in this specialization will be using C++ as the language for implementing the data structures covered in class....

DC

Mar 23, 2020

I enjoyed this course so much! Explanations were very clear and now i feel like i can navigate c++ code much easier! It has made me eager to keep exploring this awesome language and data structures!

DC

Jul 05, 2020

A truly well structured course, that knows when to guide you, but also when to let you learn the hard way. Clearest explanations of memory, c++, and object oriented design anywhere online.

1 - 25 of 323 Reviews for Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++

By Aman D A

Dec 22, 2019

A 'not-so student friendly' course of all the courses I have done so far. There is a big gap between the assignments and teachings. It took a lot of pain to study this

By Lester J

Apr 05, 2020

The staff completely abandoned the students. I'm so disappointed with this course. I left 6 questions in discussion and no one answered. Very poor. Will not use University of Illinois again.

By Larry Z

Feb 28, 2020

Coursera sucks balls

By Ruth H

Oct 30, 2019

Very bad structured

By Raul C

Mar 24, 2019

-Lectures were well made and very informative.

-Instructors and staff were very knowledgeable and were able to answer all questions asked by the students in a timely manner.

-Final project was very fun to work on and had a nice level of difficulty.

-Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

By Amar R

Mar 17, 2019

So well designed course! Should be named c++ made easy. I specifically liked the challenge problem and Week 4 programming assignment. Thanks professor Wade Fagen-Ulmschneider and Eric!

By Jonathan K

Mar 27, 2019

The content was presented well. However, the assignments and quizzes were very simplistic and not very challenging. This course is ok if you're very new to programming concepts, but you'll want to skip it if you understand the basics.

By Umang J

Jul 04, 2020

First of all lets see all the pros and cons:-

Pros:

1)The week 1 & 2 lectures are pretty good.

2)The assignments are tough and challenging.

Cons:

1)Using only one example to illustrate every C++ function,constructor and everything else.

2)The challenges are too tough to understand taking reference from the video lectures especially week 3 & 4.You will end up searching for the solution on the web.

3)This course is very difficult for beginners.The week 4 assignment is just at another level.They expected too much for the beginners.

In the end guys, I recommend you to clear your basics from youtube then enroll for this course

By Charles P F

May 15, 2020

I was surprisingly pleased with this class. This class does expect that you have general knowledge of programming, and ideally some basic knowledge of C++. What it does well is explain the core knowledge needed to begin to take advantage of C++ OOP functionality. I've taken a lot of online courses before, including some great Udemy courses and books, but found this teachers explanations and practice for pointers and reference to be the easiest to follow and gave me that 'aha' moment I've been looking for. Some of the challenges were actually very challenging too and provided in a way that, though I was stumped, was laid out in a manner that I could use debugging techniques to figure out the answer, as opposed to fighting with cryptic unit-testing that Ive struggled with in my programming career and training.

By Xiaojiao Z

Mar 14, 2019

The course covers a lot of materials and practice problem. The challenging quizzes and projects are pretty challenging and may need more detailed illustration from the lecture videos. The course is overall great. But I think we'll need to know more fundamental concepts in C++ by reading some supplementary materials and practice more in coding problems in the future.

By Aditya K Y

Jun 24, 2020

Not good for beginners at all, I felt the same. You teach very fast!

By Md. A R Z

Jul 11, 2020

i don't like this course..it is not complete OOP not data structure not c++.. it is very

disappoint...

By Nikhil N

Jul 12, 2020

No Systematic Approch

very confusing for the beginners,

By Thavapalan A

Jul 01, 2020

Not worth course

By Prashant D

Aug 11, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I especially loved the way the lecturer presented the material with all example code made available as a git repo. The challenge with some of the other C++ course I have tried before is that they get into too much detail too soon, or never get into the more "C++" features such as classes and inheritance till much later in the course. This course on the other hand is perfectly paced. The material is easy to digest and the exercises are challenging without being daunting.

I would definitely recommend this course to students who have a reasonable experience of programming in either C or Python, but who have never done C++ and are fascinated by it.

I am definitely doing the remaining two courses in this specialization.

By Ezekiel Q

Jan 13, 2020

Honestly, this is a great crash course in OOP for C++ (though the ideas can be applied to any language). Previous experience with C++ is almost a necessity, the lessons can be complicated for novices.

By Daniel C C

Mar 23, 2020

By Oscar G

Nov 20, 2019

Very well constructed course, gives a very concise and clear run-through of a lot of fundamental concepts in computer science and how those concepts are expressed in the C++ language.

By Marcin P

Oct 22, 2019

Very good course for getting around objects and classes in C++. If you are only new to the topic, this is a must. If you had any previous experience, I should give it a try as well.

By Tang K D N

Sep 16, 2019

This is a very intuitive course and great to review all C/C++ knowledge. Thank Professor.

By Evelyn C

Mar 15, 2020

This course waffles between whether or not you should already have a deep understanding of C++ and computer programming and math or no previous experience at all. It is clear the instructor is working really hard to help all the students and respond to forum questions. I came into this having just taken object oriented c++ at the local community college and I got stuck in a few places where I just couldn't figure out the equations. (Challenge "Spotlight" problem).

By Chedro G C

Oct 23, 2019

Not recommend from the begining is an struggle, why dont make as simple to use VISUAL STUDIO instead of this amazon IDE that has request my payment INFO and know I cant access my account worst experience

By Aren T

Nov 26, 2019

Superb course.

Starts off with an in depth analysis of the different types of memory storage in C++ (and how they are used by a computer in general). After this detailed start, using very minimal but precise code, It then rapidly starts developing the all the other fundamental data structures in C++, moving at quite a fast pace until one has a nice broad overview. It then culminates in a substantial project, where the requirement is not so much to add a large amount of new code, but instead to assimilate the code base and use very precise logic to implement the functions.

The course develops a rigorous approached to coding based on unit test/test frameworks.

The multiple choice quiz questions are challenging and very well thought out, such that you will really have to think carefully about them, and in so doing will consolidate your knowledge.

Overall, I've really enjoyed this first course in the Specialization and look forward to progressing onward through the rest of it.

If you have no prior coding experience, or are new to Computer Science, you will probably find this course tough going, so I'd advise you perhaps do a couple of easier introductory courses first.

The fact that this course is based on C++ is a major PLUS in my view, as far too many courses are now dominated by Python, yet C++ is an industry standard language used for serious software engineering projects and major systems due to its extreme power and performance. (This does come at a price in terms of complexity, however!).

By Joel S

Oct 12, 2019

This course provided a great learning experience and really helped open up my understanding of data structures. This is a very good course for someone who is not too easily frustrated and is willing to persist despite not feeling total mastery after the first exposure to the material. There were many times that I reviewed a video 10+ times or looked up C++ syntax, lexis, and concepts in other references, but in the end, I was always able to puzzle out the problems when they came up. I was stumped for a couple of days on one aspect of the final task, but eventually I was able to work my way through. It was a nice feeling of accomplishment when my functions finally passed all the tests -- felt like I'd finally 'beat the level'.

Anyway, many thanks to the development team and instructor(s). This has convinced me that I'm capable of moving forward with my CS learning -- a great outcome!

By Nikhil K G

Dec 08, 2019

This is a really amazing course. I have been a hardware engineer for nearly 18 years. The last time I coded in C++ was in college. As I had a background in Python and Perl, it was a really good refresher. The professor is really the best. I was very skeptic when I started the course. I could complete the course in about 10 days. Never expected this. The fact that this course does not need addition books is really true. I did get a few books from the library just to refer but really one can complete this without any additional material. The assignments are also really good. They make you go back to the notes and slides. If I meet professor Wade Fagen-Ulmschneider, I will really thank him for this. The discussion forums are also a good source of information. It helps reading what others have asked and learn from their mistakes.