Back to Essential Design Principles for Tableau

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Essential Design Principles for Tableau by University of California, Davis

In this course, you will analyze and apply essential design principles to your Tableau visualizations. This course assumes you understand the tools within Tableau and have some knowledge of the fundamental concepts of data visualization. You will define and examine the similarities and differences of exploratory and explanatory analysis as well as begin to ask the right questions about what’s needed in a visualization. You will assess how data and design work together, including how to choose the appropriate visual representation for your data, and the difference between effective and ineffective visuals. You will apply effective best practice design principles to your data visualizations and be able to illustrate examples of strategic use of contrast to highlight important elements. You will evaluate pre-attentive attributes and why they are important in visualizations. You will exam the importance of using the "right" amount of color and in the right place and be able to apply design principles to de-clutter your data visualization....

VL

Mar 11, 2018

The course uncovers the science of the design for data. It is certainly very helpful for my job where have to present a lot of data in different perspectives for senior management.

NN

May 20, 2019

The course is not only focusing on the Tableau project, but also discussing key notes that need applying to make visualization become more effective. That is great course! Thanks!

1 - 25 of 164 Reviews for Essential Design Principles for Tableau

By Víctor M C

Aug 08, 2018

A really poor course.

I don't get how this Course is rated so high.

There is a lot of chit-chat about Colors, Principles, and the use of lines. But Tableau contents are scarce and just scratched.

Don't be fooled with the "Tableau" word. Tableau is just anecdotal here. There is a whole week where Tableau is not even shown during this course! Run away.

Rename "Essential Design Principles for Tableau" to "Essential Design Principles" and the course would be fit much better.

For those thinking about the Specialization:

I'm doing the Specialization "Data Visualization with Tableau" and contents through the courses are soooo repetitive. First two courses done from 5 up to now. My review: If you sum all the videos, just barely 2 weeks, or even less, (from 8 weeks) are talking about Tableau! A Joke. Hands on? 4 times in 2 courses, and say thank you.

The other 6 weeks repeats again and again how to use Colors, how to be Ethical with graphs, and several theoretical principles about how your Brain works. Cool for 1 week, but they have filled 7 weeks of such artifacts, repeating once and again the same videos from different povs. Again and again. Again and again. Sounds repetitive? Again and again. Even using same slides.

I'm not here to teach me about "perception", "colors", and "3d charts sucks for 2D charts", or better said...it would be cool if you tell me ONCE. Not in each course, forgetting about why we're here: Tableau.

Feel free to jump the first two courses. I bet they will repeat again the unique decent videos in the 3,4,and 5th course of the specialization.

Shame...

By Claudia G G

Feb 08, 2019

It was a exelent course for me, I was thinking just in technology, but the topics reviewed are exelent to know, how design a presentation. It's amazing, now I can apply this knowlodege in all aspect of my work. Thank you!!!

By Anand L

Jul 29, 2019

good

By Prudha J

Aug 01, 2019

This was a great course, it had lots of information on design principle which not only helps for people working on Tableau but any other presentation tools

By Dumitru P

Jun 22, 2019

Great course! I enjoyed it a lot. I think I will do all in this specialization.

By Nhan T N

May 20, 2019

By Ali H

May 30, 2017

It is an excellent course!!! very well designed and very proficient talk on most difficult and most important skills related to data visualization....Enjoyed it sooo much!!!

By Yichi Z

Aug 21, 2018

The materials involving Tableau are simple and can be completed in a short time, so no need to spend a lot of hours on watching videos and submitting discussions. Some assignments are not quite related to operating Tableau.

By Gil Y

Oct 23, 2017

Not sure I would recommend this course. The course doesn't walk you through an example of how to meet and complete the requirements of the peer graded assignment. I got a notice that I needed to redo the peer assignment, but no feedback was given as to what I needed to be corrected in order to resubmit. I've also been looking for some sort of practical application video to show me how to actually use Tableau. Whenever I submit some feedback, I can never get a response from anybody. Is this course actually being facilitated by the instructor? HELP!!!!! I'm asking for help and assistance!!!

By Bruno G d F e S

Jan 05, 2018

The material is not encapsuled on the course and the use of only peers evaluation on practical exercises.

By David R

Jul 15, 2018

Mostly irrelevant theory and virtually no hands on use of Tableau. Curriculum is weak, doesn't walk you through how to do enough in Tableau.

By Nitin K

Feb 25, 2019

Great course. Great Videos

By Jamiil T A

Mar 01, 2019

Well taught course .. I highly recommend to enroll for this course 2 of the specialization if you want to build your path gradualy to creating very efficient and well communicating visualizaion. Happy Learning!

By Abey

Feb 09, 2019

Govind and his team have designed a awesome course. Communicating the concepts in a effective manner

By René G B

Apr 01, 2019

Great course

By Tushar K

Dec 10, 2018

Excellent course content, instructors and assignments.

By Aditya D

Sep 11, 2018

Best course to learn about design principles.

By Atchut S

Sep 30, 2018

Well designed course

By Leonard N B

Sep 04, 2018

Great course. As usual, the lecturers hit it out of the ballpark.

By mahnoush m

Oct 19, 2018

I enjoyed the course, it helped me to understand design principles and design my visualizations based on them. Thank you !

By Гарамжав