Back to Essential Design Principles for Tableau

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Essential Design Principles for Tableau by University of California, Davis

In this course, you will analyze and apply essential design principles to your Tableau visualizations. This course assumes you understand the tools within Tableau and have some knowledge of the fundamental concepts of data visualization. You will define and examine the similarities and differences of exploratory and explanatory analysis as well as begin to ask the right questions about what’s needed in a visualization. You will assess how data and design work together, including how to choose the appropriate visual representation for your data, and the difference between effective and ineffective visuals. You will apply effective best practice design principles to your data visualizations and be able to illustrate examples of strategic use of contrast to highlight important elements. You will evaluate pre-attentive attributes and why they are important in visualizations. You will exam the importance of using the "right" amount of color and in the right place and be able to apply design principles to de-clutter your data visualization....

VL

Mar 11, 2018

The course uncovers the science of the design for data. It is certainly very helpful for my job where have to present a lot of data in different perspectives for senior management.

NN

May 20, 2019

The course is not only focusing on the Tableau project, but also discussing key notes that need applying to make visualization become more effective. That is great course! Thanks!

1 - 25 of 134 Reviews for Essential Design Principles for Tableau

By Víctor M C

Aug 08, 2018

A really poor course.

I don't get how this Course is rated so high.

There is a lot of chit-chat about Colors, Principles, and the use of lines. But Tableau contents are scarce and just scratched.

Don't be fooled with the "Tableau" word. Tableau is just anecdotal here. There is a whole week where Tableau is not even shown during this course! Run away.

Rename "Essential Design Principles for Tableau" to "Essential Design Principles" and the course would be fit much better.

For those thinking about the Specialization:

I'm doing the Specialization "Data Visualization with Tableau" and contents through the courses are soooo repetitive. First two courses done from 5 up to now. My review: If you sum all the videos, just barely 2 weeks, or even less, (from 8 weeks) are talking about Tableau! A Joke. Hands on? 4 times in 2 courses, and say thank you.

The other 6 weeks repeats again and again how to use Colors, how to be Ethical with graphs, and several theoretical principles about how your Brain works. Cool for 1 week, but they have filled 7 weeks of such artifacts, repeating once and again the same videos from different povs. Again and again. Again and again. Sounds repetitive? Again and again. Even using same slides.

I'm not here to teach me about "perception", "colors", and "3d charts sucks for 2D charts", or better said...it would be cool if you tell me ONCE. Not in each course, forgetting about why we're here: Tableau.

Feel free to jump the first two courses. I bet they will repeat again the unique decent videos in the 3,4,and 5th course of the specialization.

Shame...

By Nhan T N

May 20, 2019

By Claudia G G

Feb 08, 2019

It was a exelent course for me, I was thinking just in technology, but the topics reviewed are exelent to know, how design a presentation. It's amazing, now I can apply this knowlodege in all aspect of my work. Thank you!!!

By Yichi Z

Aug 21, 2018

The materials involving Tableau are simple and can be completed in a short time, so no need to spend a lot of hours on watching videos and submitting discussions. Some assignments are not quite related to operating Tableau.

By David R

Jul 15, 2018

Mostly irrelevant theory and virtually no hands on use of Tableau. Curriculum is weak, doesn't walk you through how to do enough in Tableau.

By Bruno G d F e S

Jan 05, 2018

The material is not encapsuled on the course and the use of only peers evaluation on practical exercises.

By Gil Y

Oct 23, 2017

Not sure I would recommend this course. The course doesn't walk you through an example of how to meet and complete the requirements of the peer graded assignment. I got a notice that I needed to redo the peer assignment, but no feedback was given as to what I needed to be corrected in order to resubmit. I've also been looking for some sort of practical application video to show me how to actually use Tableau. Whenever I submit some feedback, I can never get a response from anybody. Is this course actually being facilitated by the instructor? HELP!!!!! I'm asking for help and assistance!!!

By Dumitru P

Jun 22, 2019

Great course! I enjoyed it a lot. I think I will do all in this specialization.

By Sumit C

Jun 22, 2019

Nice Course

By Pasa C

Jun 20, 2019

A very nice and informative course for intro to data visualization.

By Ankit S D

Jun 17, 2019

In depth training of design principles. excellent job. cleared all my doubts.

By Melanie

Jun 15, 2019

Enjoyed the assignment.it was not too time consuming and complicated but very useful, and the ability for peers to review and review others.

By Ussia N

Jun 14, 2019

Good introduction to Tableau essentials. I enjoy the step by step instructions on creating analytics in Tableau. Receiving a year long subscritpion to the license is also AMAZING

By Vishnu N S

May 16, 2019

Good Content and good project at last

By Avijeet S

May 15, 2019

An excellent course which is a must for a data visualisation associate!

By shruthi

May 15, 2019

Excellent Topics

By Shola E

Interesting course. Very value adding

By yaoyaoholiday

May 04, 2019

Too much psychology theory part. I want to learn Tableau rather than how System I or System II works in my brain. I read Kahneman's book when I have leisure time, but I don't want to do such multiple choice problems in a computer class.

By YUAN X

May 04, 2019

It was good and definately a worth tring efforts for anyone who's intereted in this topic!

By René G B

Apr 01, 2019

Great course

By Marcello B

Mar 17, 2019

A valued view of the necessary principels to build a professional data visualization. Few Tableau, a lot of theory, but here it's necessary to leverage Tableau in the next courses of the specialization.

By Ponciano R

Mar 12, 2019

Good for an introductory course, needs more practice exercises.

By Jamiil T A

Mar 01, 2019

Well taught course .. I highly recommend to enroll for this course 2 of the specialization if you want to build your path gradualy to creating very efficient and well communicating visualizaion. Happy Learning!

By Pravesh

Feb 25, 2019

Great course. Great Videos

By Manjunatha G

Feb 14, 2019

Essential Design Principles for Tableau Course is very useful in designing Tableau Dashboards by applying Principles