Back to Diversity and inclusion in the workplace

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Diversity and inclusion in the workplace by ESSEC Business School

Diversity is a fact. It is also paradoxical. We need to be capable of seeing and hearing differences in order to reap the benefits of diversity. But seeing and hearing differences hone our discriminating reflexes and can also lead to discrimination. If you take this MOOC, you will: 1. understand this paradox, 2. understand its dynamics, and 3. identify ways to manage it, so that you can better channel the diversity potential in the workplace for greater performance and innovation....

MF
Apr 4, 2021

Open my eyes for some points that I am already thinking are fine. We are not ready yet, we are receiving wrong messages for a long time and doing so little to fix the gaps. Great Course.

SL
Apr 5, 2020

Amazing course with so much to learn\n\nI like that we had to write an essay which helped me really look back on everything i had learnt\n\nI am so impressed and cant wait to do more

1 - 25 of 182 Reviews for Diversity and inclusion in the workplace

By Daniel W

Dec 1, 2019

I thought this course was uninteresting, hard to understand in some of its language & with the way that it explained some things as well as when it came to directions and what was expected of you for certain assignments particularly essays. Parts of the course lacked direction and one could argue that some of the material was heavily biased. I would also like to say that many of the articles and videos outside Coursera that we were asked to read and watch were either no longer active or hidden behind a pay wall which made it hard to complete some assignments and understand certain parts of the course. Most of the videos were long, rambling, and hard to follow. A lot of the language and ideas/laws discussed seemed largely geared toward certain European countries or Europe as a whole and didn't really apply much to the United States. Certain parts of the course would say that they were optional or that participation in that section was optional but if you had not completed that exercise you would not be able to finish other assignments later down the line which could get kind of confusing, if something is "optional" you should not have to participate in it in order to complete the course.

By Uwanibe U P

Jul 16, 2020

It was an inspiring course. Opened my understanding of diversity issues in general. I would recommend this course to anyone ready to embrace the cultural dynamic of our society.

By Kanchan K W

Feb 4, 2019

I learnt and enjoyed benefited from the course. I especially liked the way the course was designed , it had the perfect pace and flexibility. The material , presentations , videos were an immense knowledge sharing tools .

By Abha G

Jun 17, 2020

It was a great course that had amazing data insights. The fact that the course forced you to write your own assignments and interact on discussion threads made it very interesting.

By Linda B

Sep 22, 2020

I loved the international feel of the work. It was really great to see all of the different aspects, gender and age were a great aspect as well as race, LGBTQ and disability.

By Cynthia C

Jul 2, 2020

Difficult to follow, data seems to be out of date, lots of stereotypes, and not much knowledge about the world outside of Europe!

By Tara T

Aug 10, 2020

I learned so much from a global perspective! This was really great information and helped me understand how to build my own foundation as I go further into DEI.

By Daniel F M

Nov 29, 2020

Pros: like the self-pacing. Like the examples and illustrations. Liked the crossword puzzles. I liked the ability to finish my assignments early. I enjoyed the peer-review approach. (I even did a few extra). I also liked the explanations giving on all answers on the quizzes. I liked hearing about the different constraints around the world.

Cons: Did not like hearing the term "colored" in module four. I understand that this class was not made in USA but am shocked such an offensive term was used multiple times. I would have giving the course 5-stars if it was not for the inclusion of this offensive term.

By Treca S

Sep 21, 2019

Great course overall; however, the cases should be more broadly applicable. There was an assumption that everyone had a workplace encounter and that they worked in a company with a diversity initiative with which they were intimately familiar.

By Rafal M

Feb 28, 2019

Excellent course, thank you. Information was clear, understandable, valuable. For me it was just enough challenging, not too easy, not too difficult. I liked it being divided into parts - Weeks 1-4. I hope to be able to come back to some videos later in my work. I liked the control questions towards the end of some vids, they kept me in check and I had to focus and listen attentively to the lectures. Oh, and the course was quite inexpensive.

Tiny things to improve - some lecturers' audio was not quite there (technically mainly, but some accents were a tad heavy, too). I'd like to have known in advance (in intro perhaps) that the final essay would be a little demanding, I had to postpone my submission as I struggled gathering data. But these are little things and they do not stop me from giving the course 5 stars.

By Raj R

Jan 19, 2021

Solid introduction. Not quite as strategic or practical as I would have hoped for. More references and reading or case studies would be useful.

By Chad C W

Sep 13, 2020

Having students marking each other is not a productive way for students to learn.

By Sheri L M

Dec 28, 2020

I can't unenroll from this course.

By Chiara M

Jul 12, 2020

Diversity management play a key role in understanding new HR strategies for adding values to workplaces. Adding diversity and inclusion ( #D&I) is also a way to impact on emergent clusters of new customers to the firms values.

In this course by Prof Junko Takagi of Essec Business School I analyzed issues connected to:

- Gender diversity and women empowement

- intergenerational diversity (mixed workplaces with babyboomers, millennials and Z generation)

- people with disabilities

- cultural and social diversity (multiculturalism)

- LGBT issues in the workplace

Is a really helpful lesson for understanding a new global trend in a deep way testing structural and cognitive bias for reaching new scenarios.

By Stacy S

Jul 29, 2019

This was truly fascinating, especially for a non-diversity and inclusion professional in the midst of a career shift that may require a move closer to Human Resources. I really appreciated the volume of information presented in the 4-week period that had a mix of reading and video presentations. The case studies were also great — and reading the assignments of other students helped to understand the issue of D&I from a perspective that sometimes crossed oceans and borders. I highly recommend this course.

By Snigdha T

Oct 5, 2020

Got trained in diversity and inclusion initiative, which i believe will give me professional and personal benefits which can be used for lifelong and also passed on to generations. Diversity and inclusion if taken on priority by every individual and nations it will take the globalisation to the next level. Enjoyed the course and the joy of learning is indeed irreplaceable.

Thank you to Essec Business school and Coursera Team.

Best Regards

Snigdha

By Steven D

Jul 19, 2020

This course is worth the effort to learn more about diversity and inclusion in the workplace. I graduated from college in the 1980s and we never studied this topic. I was looking to learn more in a structured manner more than reading some books. I am glad I found this course. There was a variety of material from different perspectives from around the world. The professor who led the course was excellent. I learned a great deal.

By Sabita R

Apr 22, 2020

This Inclusion and Diversity was a great course. It made me realize a lot of things about myself. I learned a lot about other countries and what they are doing. I have gained perspective on how I can now make a difference in the things that I genuinely believe in and want to change. The lectures and case studies did an excellent job of broadening and opening my mind. I will do other courses from Coursera.

By Vanessa B

Apr 3, 2021

El curso me pareció muy bueno, el diseño facilito mucho mi aprendizaje, el contenido me pareció muy bueno. La manera en la que se explican los conceptos ayudan a la reflexión e identificación de areas de oportunidad en nuestras organizaciones. Las tareas y el calificar tareas de otros compañeros me ayudaron mucho a tener mayor referencia de lo que hacen otras organizaciones.

By Beatriz N A

Aug 17, 2020

It was a great course, you are able to see different points of view and understand why diversity is important and how does it affects the comunity. Doing the activities you can reflect and learn more and more and at the forum and reading the other activities you can see how is diversity in difference part of the world .

I loved it and I think everybody should do this course.

By NIKHIL S

Apr 28, 2020

The course was very well structured, with a great mix of videos, articles, helpful links and intriguing quizzes and assignments. The concept of Diversity and Inclusion is now well embedded in my system due to this fabulous course content. As a future young professional, I will definitely carry forward the objective of this course by ensuring D&I in my workplace!

By Arvin O

Jun 16, 2021

T​his course has been an absolute eye opener. There are many thing I knew but had no foundations and now I can affirm that I have learned various approaches towards Inclusion and Diversity in workplace. I am sure that I will be able to create more empathy within my own workplace and detect and act upon cases of discrimination. Thank You!

By Dilyara T

Mar 23, 2020

I LOVED this course by all means. It has all the necessary resources that I will be able to use moving forward and share within my community. The information is extremely well balanced and walked through step by step, and the tests are challenging. You can totally tell all the work that comes behind that course, thank you.

By Natasha W

Nov 15, 2020

This course really opened my eyes to what Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace entails. I will be a better leader in the field because I am now more aware of the different aspects that go into have a diverse and inclusive team. I will not be afraid to embrace such initiatives due to cognitive dynamics of difference.

By Samia A

Aug 9, 2020

Excellently constructed content delivered with passion and professionalism. An incredibly powerful introduction to the concept of diversity and inclusion - the use of presenters with different accents and nationalities was an exciting way to demonstrate what was being taught. I found the learning riveting and insightful!