Back to Econometrics: Methods and Applications

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Econometrics: Methods and Applications by Erasmus University Rotterdam

Welcome! Do you wish to know how to analyze and solve business and economic questions with data analysis tools? Then Econometrics by Erasmus University Rotterdam is the right course for you, as you learn how to translate data into models to make forecasts and to support decision making. * What do I learn? When you know econometrics, you are able to translate data into models to make forecasts and to support decision making in a wide variety of fields, ranging from macroeconomics to finance and marketing. Our course starts with introductory lectures on simple and multiple regression, followed by topics of special interest to deal with model specification, endogenous variables, binary choice data, and time series data. You learn these key topics in econometrics by watching the videos with in-video quizzes and by making post-video training exercises. * Do I need prior knowledge? The course is suitable for (advanced undergraduate) students in economics, finance, business, engineering, and data analysis, as well as for those who work in these fields. The course requires some basics of matrices, probability, and statistics, which are reviewed in the Building Blocks module. If you are searching for a MOOC on econometrics of a more introductory nature that needs less background in mathematics, you may be interested in the Coursera course “Enjoyable Econometrics” that is also from Erasmus University Rotterdam. * What literature can I consult to support my studies? You can follow the MOOC without studying additional sources. Further reading of the discussed topics (including the Building Blocks) is provided in the textbook that we wrote and on which the MOOC is based: Econometric Methods with Applications in Business and Economics, Oxford University Press. The connection between the MOOC modules and the book chapters is shown in the Course Guide – Further Information – How can I continue my studies. * Will there be teaching assistants active to guide me through the course? Staff and PhD students of our Econometric Institute will provide guidance in January and February of each year. In other periods, we provide only elementary guidance. We always advise you to connect with fellow learners of this course to discuss topics and exercises. * How will I get a certificate? To gain the certificate of this course, you are asked to make six Test Exercises (one per module) and a Case Project. Further, you perform peer-reviewing activities of the work of three of your fellow learners of this MOOC. You gain the certificate if you pass all seven assignments. Have a nice journey into the world of Econometrics! The Econometrics team...

DT

Feb 14, 2020

Course was very well structured, pacing was very pleasant (albeit a little fast for the chapter about time series). Teachers were top notch! I had lots of fun while learning . Thank you!

JJ

Nov 16, 2015

The design of the course is very Helpful and efficient. The course is well explained. The instructors are very clear and master the subject. They very detailed and well organized.

126 - 150 of 163 Reviews for Econometrics: Methods and Applications

By Harsha G

Feb 26, 2016

It is a very good course I guess, but being 15 years old, it didn't make any sense.

However, I got to learn a lot of new things about a field which I wish to pursue.

By Yiming C

Jun 05, 2018

Good course, I would recommend people who have basic knowledge about statistics and linear algebra take this course if the topic of econometrics interest you.

By Chun S L

Oct 12, 2017

the video seems fast-forwarded, which makes it quite difficult to follow. not sure if it's only my personal feel of it. otherwise the content were great.

By Anand Y

Jan 17, 2016

More focus should be given on application part in initial modules vs. derivation. Also, the presentation can be made a bit more simple to understand.

By Naim

Aug 16, 2017

This course is really good for recapping what you have learned before. It would be a difficult course if you start it without previous background.

By Francesco

Jul 23, 2017

Some stuff are treated briefly but overall is a good MOOC, well organized and gives good hints to deal with econometrics problems.

By Andrey P

Jan 15, 2018

I'd be happy to have more practical excersises during the course instead/together with formula transformation tasks.

By Fernando F d F M

Nov 23, 2017

Very nice MOOC. Found it a little too theorical, but it was very usefull to put in practice my econometrics skills.

By Maithili M

Nov 13, 2017

Very informative and technically coherent.

My only suggestion would be to provide software codes with solution.

By Utkarsh A

Mar 18, 2017

The level of this course is high. It's better to take a basic course on Econometrics and then take up this.

By quangngu

Jan 21, 2019

There was a drastic increase in difficulty in week 6 and 7 from the rest of the course.

By James Z

Feb 10, 2017

Lecture materials are very rich and well organized.

By Christian H

Nov 19, 2016

It is a good course, but a bit short in my opinion

By Upmanyu B

Feb 22, 2016

Awesome, helped me alot! Thanks MOOC cordinatiors.

By gao f

Nov 24, 2016

many mistakes in the exercise solutions

By Alfonso B M

May 20, 2019

Great. Applied knowledge focus.

By Anh N

May 20, 2016

Excellent Course!

By ayushman g

Dec 08, 2015

nicely explained.

By Galyna U

Feb 21, 2020

With this course, I have definitely expanded my horizon of knowledge. Having completed it, I feel accomplished. At the same time, looking back, there was not clue that more than probability and statistics knowledge is needed - one has to be already familiar with econometrics and modeling. The learning curve is very steep and lectures are describing on the high-level scope of the further reading to be done to be able to solve assignments. Having technical background, I felt very much behind - just until the time when I found some relevant information in the lecture notes on Advanced Econometrics for PhD students. There should be a warning about such prerequisites!

By HU X

Jan 24, 2016

This course will be a good revision if you have known the models before taking it. But if you are new to the models, you may not really understand them. This course tells you which models to use and how to implement, but does not tell you the rationale behind (maybe the theories are too difficult).

The teaching staff are really helpful and answer every question you raise in the discussion forum.

By Chen S

Jul 26, 2017

This course is giving us useful insights, however, what it is talking about is not beginner-friendly. If there would be reading materials talking about what we can be using, it would be much better. As a beginner, it is just too hard to continue even for the first week.

By Tommy L

Dec 17, 2019

The proofs aren't as clear as I wish they were. Lacks a lot of explanation and a lot of practice questions in between are from those proofs which gets hard

By Wadia A

Oct 05, 2017

Generally speaking , I have to say that it is good course , I learned many things. More explanation should be provided for some concepts.

By David O

May 22, 2018

Good course but too challenging unless you have a background in maths. Should go slower with clearer examples.

By Sarah R

Jan 05, 2016

Some of the terminology doesn't seem congruent with what we use in North America