Back to Econometrics: Methods and Applications

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Econometrics: Methods and Applications by Erasmus University Rotterdam

Welcome! Do you wish to know how to analyze and solve business and economic questions with data analysis tools? Then Econometrics by Erasmus University Rotterdam is the right course for you, as you learn how to translate data into models to make forecasts and to support decision making. * What do I learn? When you know econometrics, you are able to translate data into models to make forecasts and to support decision making in a wide variety of fields, ranging from macroeconomics to finance and marketing. Our course starts with introductory lectures on simple and multiple regression, followed by topics of special interest to deal with model specification, endogenous variables, binary choice data, and time series data. You learn these key topics in econometrics by watching the videos with in-video quizzes and by making post-video training exercises. * Do I need prior knowledge? The course is suitable for (advanced undergraduate) students in economics, finance, business, engineering, and data analysis, as well as for those who work in these fields. The course requires some basics of matrices, probability, and statistics, which are reviewed in the Building Blocks module. * What literature can I consult to support my studies? You can follow the MOOC without studying additional sources. Further reading of the discussed topics (including the Building Blocks) is provided in the textbook that we wrote and on which the MOOC is based: Econometric Methods with Applications in Business and Economics, Oxford University Press. The connection between the MOOC modules and the book chapters is shown in the Course Guide – Further Information – How can I continue my studies. * Will there be teaching assistants active to guide me through the course? Staff and PhD students of our Econometric Institute will provide guidance in January and February of each year. In other periods, we provide only elementary guidance. We always advise you to connect with fellow learners of this course to discuss topics and exercises. * How will I get a certificate? To gain the certificate of this course, you are asked to make six Test Exercises (one per module) and a Case Project. Further, you perform peer-reviewing activities of the work of three of your fellow learners of this MOOC. You gain the certificate if you pass all seven assignments. Have a nice journey into the world of Econometrics! The Econometrics team...

JJ

Nov 16, 2015

The design of the course is very Helpful and efficient. The course is well explained. The instructors are very clear and master the subject. They very detailed and well organized.

TM

Jun 09, 2016

Very practical, I would urge people who intend to take this course to come to this course with at least some knowledge of econometrics and statistics. It would come in handy.

126 - 150 of 152 Reviews for Econometrics: Methods and Applications

By Софья

Feb 22, 2017

Some topics that were covered in this course were not explained in details and, in addition, there was no explanation of the theoretical aspects of the course (for instance, formulas transcript ).

By Filippo B

Nov 21, 2016

Very interesting intermediate course in Econometrics. I strongly recommend for both new learners and those are interested in refreshing their knowledge in econometrics.

Maybe some blocks are too theoretical, there are some "bugs" in the content, and I miss a bit more of applied econometrics using statistical softwares.

Definetly a very good example of teaching econometrics through MOOC, my heartfelt congratulations to the Econometrics team of the Erasmus University for the great job, it has been a really valuable course to attend.

By gao f

Nov 24, 2016

many mistakes in the exercise solutions

By Arthur M

Apr 10, 2016

Good content and exercise, very pedagogic.

The only problem are the use of the program: If you don't know how to use a statistical program such as R, you will spend more time struggling with the program than understanding the topic.

By Christian H

Nov 19, 2016

It is a good course, but a bit short in my opinion

By Andrey P

Jan 15, 2018

I'd be happy to have more practical excersises during the course instead/together with formula transformation tasks.

By Maithili M

Nov 13, 2017

Very informative and technically coherent.

My only suggestion would be to provide software codes with solution.

By Thomas B

Aug 25, 2018

Good content and quality. Coming from machine learning this gave me a new perspectives, e.g. a topic like endogeneity or the different kind of statistical tests.

I did the course using R, RStudio and R Markdown for the course assignments and that worked great. However, the course is taught without any reference to specific software packages and I think that's a big plus.

Some of the assignments were too academic for my taste (proving statements). I would have rather liked more examples showing different aspects and situations of the taught topics.

By Adrien

May 13, 2019

Very good insights and step by step methods.

It is more theoretical (manual calculations of different methods) than applied and should be completed by another course for this matter.

By Alfonso B M

May 20, 2019

Great. Applied knowledge focus.

By HU X

Jan 24, 2016

This course will be a good revision if you have known the models before taking it. But if you are new to the models, you may not really understand them. This course tells you which models to use and how to implement, but does not tell you the rationale behind (maybe the theories are too difficult).

The teaching staff are really helpful and answer every question you raise in the discussion forum.

By Wadia A

Oct 05, 2017

Generally speaking , I have to say that it is good course , I learned many things. More explanation should be provided for some concepts.

By Chen S

Jul 26, 2017

This course is giving us useful insights, however, what it is talking about is not beginner-friendly. If there would be reading materials talking about what we can be using, it would be much better. As a beginner, it is just too hard to continue even for the first week.

By Sarah R

Jan 05, 2016

Some of the terminology doesn't seem congruent with what we use in North America

By David O

May 22, 2018

Good course but too challenging unless you have a background in maths. Should go slower with clearer examples.

By Nikhil

Dec 06, 2016

Less practicals involved

By David E R A

Sep 27, 2019

Realmente se necesita la traducción de los cursos

By Nicolas V

Aug 11, 2017

Too much math with not enough explanations.

No explanations on how to solve the exercises on any software.

Exercices are very long (the "10 minutes"/exercise is just a joke - one took nearly an hour). Correction of the exercises are poor (just written answers on paper).

By Paolo M

Dec 12, 2017

The members of faculty participating in this MOOC seem to be knowledgeable of the material, but the presentation lack content. The whole course seems as an outline , rather than a actual course by itself. Needs more core material, not suitable for someone looking to complement or starting fresh in the topic.

By nishant

Jul 09, 2017

I noticed that during video , professor ask test questions and that test question is asked before the professor explains that part. This is irrelevant. How a student can answer that question without any prior knowledge.

By Neda

Apr 23, 2016

poor!

By Hussein C

Mar 29, 2016

If I can understand all of these derivatives, why shall I attend your course? It is not helpful course, especially for persons looking for some practical econometrics applications rather than focusing on the mathematics side of it.

By Ticiano A M C

Nov 03, 2015

If you have to pay for the certificate itself, then the course can't be too serious or maybe even that much helpful.

By Nikolaos T

Apr 11, 2018

Besides the videos there was low supporting content. I needed to search a lot online to find information that were needed. Waste of money.

By viveksampy

Feb 14, 2017

The class recording could have been made simple. Lots of notations, and would definitely be difficult for people without prior econometrics background.