Back to Econometrics: Methods and Applications

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Econometrics: Methods and Applications by Erasmus University Rotterdam

Welcome! Do you wish to know how to analyze and solve business and economic questions with data analysis tools? Then Econometrics by Erasmus University Rotterdam is the right course for you, as you learn how to translate data into models to make forecasts and to support decision making. * What do I learn? When you know econometrics, you are able to translate data into models to make forecasts and to support decision making in a wide variety of fields, ranging from macroeconomics to finance and marketing. Our course starts with introductory lectures on simple and multiple regression, followed by topics of special interest to deal with model specification, endogenous variables, binary choice data, and time series data. You learn these key topics in econometrics by watching the videos with in-video quizzes and by making post-video training exercises. * Do I need prior knowledge? The course is suitable for (advanced undergraduate) students in economics, finance, business, engineering, and data analysis, as well as for those who work in these fields. The course requires some basics of matrices, probability, and statistics, which are reviewed in the Building Blocks module. If you are searching for a MOOC on econometrics of a more introductory nature that needs less background in mathematics, you may be interested in the Coursera course “Enjoyable Econometrics” that is also from Erasmus University Rotterdam. * What literature can I consult to support my studies? You can follow the MOOC without studying additional sources. Further reading of the discussed topics (including the Building Blocks) is provided in the textbook that we wrote and on which the MOOC is based: Econometric Methods with Applications in Business and Economics, Oxford University Press. The connection between the MOOC modules and the book chapters is shown in the Course Guide – Further Information – How can I continue my studies. * Will there be teaching assistants active to guide me through the course? Staff and PhD students of our Econometric Institute will provide guidance in January and February of each year. In other periods, we provide only elementary guidance. We always advise you to connect with fellow learners of this course to discuss topics and exercises. * How will I get a certificate? To gain the certificate of this course, you are asked to make six Test Exercises (one per module) and a Case Project. Further, you perform peer-reviewing activities of the work of three of your fellow learners of this MOOC. You gain the certificate if you pass all seven assignments. Have a nice journey into the world of Econometrics! The Econometrics team...

DT
Feb 13, 2020

Course was very well structured, pacing was very pleasant (albeit a little fast for the chapter about time series). Teachers were top notch! I had lots of fun while learning . Thank you!

JJ
Nov 15, 2015

The design of the course is very Helpful and efficient. The course is well explained. The instructors are very clear and master the subject. They very detailed and well organized.

26 - 50 of 226 Reviews for Econometrics: Methods and Applications

By Alesia N

Jan 6, 2019

it's a very deep course

By Sergio A G P

Apr 21, 2020

Overall, it was a good project. The use of real datasets made the learning experience so much rich.

Pros: it is very rigurous. If one pays enough attention, it will provide the necessary knowledge to perform robust analysis. Linear regressions ara a basic algortithm. Still, most of the time people do not know how to use them properly.

Cons: the explanations are poor. The slides are sometimes quite unclear. This course would benefit a lot if it had guided implementations. Also, something that I really disliked was that the solutions for the tests (which you use to review others in peer activities) were extremely simple and vague. It seems as if they were made carelessly. From test 1, the course should instill the importance of the analysis, rather than getting the calculations correct.

Having said so, the course is great. I do recommend it for enhancing the intuition for model specification and robust analysis.

By Chen S

Jul 26, 2017

This course is giving us useful insights, however, what it is talking about is not beginner-friendly. If there would be reading materials talking about what we can be using, it would be much better. As a beginner, it is just too hard to continue even for the first week.

By David O

May 22, 2018

Good course but too challenging unless you have a background in maths. Should go slower with clearer examples.

By Keith S

Mar 13, 2021

This course is poorly taught, leaving out almost all intuition of what's going. the lectures don't adequately describe the materials used for the exercises, which is where the large majority of the actual learning takes place, however it is often harder to parse what the questions are really asking and why they are asking these questions than than the questions themselves.

Overall I'm sure this course is technically accurate and rigorous, but I am often not sure why as the material is not remotely made interesting nor is it well explained.

"Now I invite you to train yourself by making the training exercise." has become my least favorite sentence in the English language.

By viveksampy

Feb 13, 2017

The class recording could have been made simple. Lots of notations, and would definitely be difficult for people without prior econometrics background.

By Serge d V

Apr 24, 2016

Very useful course for those who want to learn what is behind econometric tools and what their limitations are. The combination between practice and theory makes it an exciting learning experience that is worth the time investment. For those, like myself, that were not 100% up to speed at the start, a significant time investment is needed. To finish the course I had to spend in excess of 20 hours a week to satisfactorily understand the material and be able to reproduce the main takeaways. I am sure the course can be successfully completed with less effort, but grasping the essence of the material made sense to me as I am trying to get a better idea of how to use econometric tools. Conclusion: it is completely worth your time, but if you are not sufficiently well versed in math and statistics, basic college level, you will need to make a significant time investment to make full use of the material.

By Ke-Chung " L

Mar 14, 2017

This course is great and satisfying. It's also challenging and demanding. It teaches you how to apply regression and time series to build model for forecasting real world events. It also requires you to have certain level of calculus, linear algebra and statistics to understand the underlying theory. Besides, statistics tools, like R, SPSS or Excel (of your choice), is a must for you to do exercises and projects. Studying all those videos, slides and exercise would take you many hours a week, but you will be very satisfying with modeling skills and working knowledge of time series learned from the course. Studying this course is a wonderful and unforgettable experience for me. I strongly recommend it to those who want to build a solid foundation of modeling data (not only economical data).

By Emanuel M

Mar 8, 2021

In top three best courses on Coursera that I have taken and have gone through quite a few. It has the best exercise sheets I have seen, with actual both math and programming tasks to do and base own reports on, which are afterwards peer reviewed. The course is both theoretically and practically complete and sound for the topic, giving really good background in it. I have checked courses on this topic on other platforms and this one covers pretty much all of it and into a math debt that is enough to get a good grasp of what is going on. From then on, you have the sufficient background to continue on your own.

I can't think of a course that I would recommend more.

By Khiem N T

Feb 23, 2016

I like the structure of the course that different professor is in charge of different chapter but the contents of each chapter are linked to the others. Each chapter offers different topic (of course) but the style and structure are the same. In detail, there are always theoretical and practical part as well as small quizzes in each chapter. In addition, the guideline and syllabus provide students with great details. On top of that, chapter assignments are provided with solution which are necessary for students to check their knowledge.

I would love to participate in follow up course which might deal with more advanced topics after this basic one.

By Felix C

Aug 3, 2020

Great course! Theoretical material is well explained, and practical exercises are nicely tied with the theory. Optional homeworks are well-designed interesting to solve, and they too are quite helpful for the respective final assignment of each week. The time series material was a little disappointing -only passing references to ARMA model theory in full and MLE estimation for such models, but the explanation of ADL models was very good. I was very satisfied in general with the course and the work of the Instructors and the TA's who provided solutions for the homework. Recommended!

By Swapan K P

Nov 3, 2019

The course is well-designed with daily exercises for practice, and weekly tests (7) incl. Case Study in the last week. The course indeed helped me a lot to refresh theoretical knowledge that I learned nearly 2.5 decades ago during graduation/ master degree in Statistics. It's worth trying if you are interested and comfortable with statistical software (Stata, SAS, R) or Excel with add-ins (eg RealStats). Although I use Stata on a daily basis, I solved all problems in Excel Data Analysis and RealStats add-in in order to understand each steps clearly.

By Alok K J

Apr 11, 2020

This Course is really well communicated the important Methods and Applications. It has aspired to go in depth of Econometric, to really understand the mechanism behind the models and mathematics. Instructors are highly involved while delivering the lectures. My Best wishes to all on path of learning this course.

I pray to existence to Bless all Peace and Good Health and higher Consciousness to each Individuals ,so that we care this Beautiful World- I pray we come out of the Covid-19 as a victory over ill mind and best future.

By Alain P

Mar 23, 2019

Very insightful about how to perform multilinear regressions, independly check relevance of each regressor, and simplify your models by eleminating unecessary regressors. Really useful hardskills, well explained by the teaching team, I recommend it.

The class could however benefit from less theory and more pragmatic advices when it comes to check relevance of regression. For instance, it should always favor sample testing over other tests, as even with 95% certainty or so, there is still 5% that your regression is not meaningful.

By Akshata M

I really enjoyed this course. The instructors were really good and it is worth joining this course if you really love Economics and want to learn something new to the field. I found it slightly easier as I had a Calculus base that I had learnt in my high school. But I think those who have a good programming base will also be able to do this course and enjoy it! I really loved this course by the Erasmus University of Rotterdam and I highly recommend this course for people who love Economics

By Agustin G

Sep 9, 2020

Really interesting and highly recommended. Okay, it is not a complete course but from my point of view it has been very useful for the design of econometric models.

Although I had previous knowledge of econometrics, not being subject to any special software, I have been able to apply my knowledge of R without problem. In fact, and from the exercises that I have corrected, this language is the most popular among students, followed by far by eViews.

By Venugopal B

Dec 16, 2015

Very good course, not many available online courses on this subject.

Warning: Course is very fast paced (and the instructors give only broad hints as they move from 1 step to the next and it is left to us to figure out stuff - which is how it should be of course). Therefore expect to be kept busy throughout the course.

I barely had any previous knowledge on the subject, so folks with some basic understanding of the subject may have a different view

By Upananda P

Nov 17, 2020

One of the best online course on Econometrics I have ever attended. Instructors are very clear and designed the modules in such a way that a student can get maximum out of the course. My expectation from the course is completely matched. Thanks to Coursera and instructors for providing t his innovative platform for Innovative learning experience.

By Jhein S

Feb 17, 2021

A very comprehensive introduction to Econometrics and Statistics, in general. Although this is an introduction, this is not a watered-down version of Econometrics; you will learn a lot from the theories as well. The careful balance of theory and practice is also maintained throughout the course.

By Anshuman S

Dec 26, 2016

Excellent faculty. The concepts from week 1 till Week 8 has been very exhaustive and worth the time.

I have learnt a lot in these 8 weeks of the course.

In the end, I would like to thank all faculty members in the course for explaining such complex concepts in a simple and easy manner.

By Абылайхан Т

I am very happy that I have learned how to calculate using econometrics. In the future, I will use my skills in practice and at work, for all these works, I was very happy to learn something really new. And added new knowledge. Thank you Erasmus for such a great learning method.

By Vianney B B E M

Oct 28, 2019

concise effort has been deployed during the course to make econometrics accessecible, comprehensible by the simplicity of the lecture presentation, by the exercices training very closed to lectures. It'was so confortable to participate to this course.

By Hiteshchandra T

Nov 19, 2016

Good experience! Very well organised and presented, given the limitations of the MOOC format. All key topics are covered lucidly and succinctly. Maybe a follow-up course on advanced topics like Stochastic Regressors, Panel Data, etc could be offered?

By Gustavo R e O

Nov 23, 2017

I totally recomend this course for those who are seeking to learn this challenging subject. The material presented in the course provides a great stimulous to stay on track and follow the course until the end.

By Raden M A

Really great course, get your hands dirty in econometrics mathematical concept, even the assignments using softwares are challenging. Unfortunately it was plagued by cheaters who submitted plagiarized tests.