Back to Feminism and Social Justice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Feminism and Social Justice by University of California, Santa Cruz

"Feminism and Social Justice" is an adaptation of Distinguished Professor Bettina Aptheker's long-running course at UC Santa Cruz. In the course, Professor Aptheker presents a broad definition of feminism that serves to frame three significant events in the history of feminism and social justice: the Empire Zinc strike of 1951, the 1971-1972 trial of Angela Davis, and the #metoo Movement....

Jun 23, 2020

Everyone should take up this course because this course has a structured curriculum for feminism. The idea of feminism is something we have learnt from media, one will come to know about the meaning.

IS

Feb 12, 2020

This course was very impactful, I now understand the history of rape as a crime, the attitudes that have diminished and undermine women's rights. I am hoping that we will get things right as a people

26 - 50 of 854 Reviews for Feminism and Social Justice

By Завьялова Л И

Mar 30, 2020

The course Feminism and Social Justice is really great! Thanks to Bettina Aptheker, I know more of the history of feminism and how it developed. Incredibly interesting, quite brief and powerful, it made me think of the current social environment in my country and in the world in general. As a consequence, I should say I am ready to spur into immediate action to help people treated unfairly. Moreover, the professor is very knowledgeable. She managed to make many complicated concepts into easily understandable parts. I would definitely recommend the course to my friends and acquaintances as the information given here is worth knowing and studying.

By estefania l

Aug 05, 2020

Fue un curso bastante satisfactorio para adentrarme a entender que significa feminismo y justicia social , lo recomiendo al 100 por ciento , la profesora te explica de una manera básica como estos términos se relacionan con otros para que toen un significado mas general pero a la vez cambia a través del tiempo y observamos esto con ejemplos de épocas anteriores y las comparamos con casos que suceden hoy en día en nuestro tiempo y como aun estamos en una lucha constante para que la mujer sea considerada en todos los ámbitos existentes igual a u hombre pero en el sentido de igual que verán en el curso , igual en humanidad

By Барташевич М І

This course realli inspired me. I am a philosophy student and the next year I am supposed to write my graduate work, but I had some problems with choosing the topic, because the theme of my bachelor`s work did not inspire me any more. So, it was some kind of creative crisis. But then I saw this course. Earlie I`ve been studying feminism and especially the famous work of Simone de Beauvoir The Second Sex, so I decided to join. And now I`m really thinking of choosing feminism for my graduate work. In conclusion I`d like to point out that this course is really easy to learn and I enjoyed it a lot. Thank you for that!:)

By Zainab R

Apr 08, 2020

I am so glad I was able to take this course and I wish more and more people would take it:

a) Dr Aptheker is a brilliant teacher—her lectures are coherent and she is very clear about what she is talking about. It was a delight to take this course from someone like who has been a part of such great movements.

b) It is an important course for anyone who is interested in feminism and social justice; it focuses on intersectionality, Dr Aptheker makes use of cases that we have heard of to go ahead with what she wants to talk about, the course looks through an interdisciplinary lens which makes it all the more interesting.

By Bryan A G B

Aug 02, 2020

Professor Aptheker is person who has a lot of knowledge and conscience about the topic, having studied it, practicing it and actually taken an active role in many of the most known famous feminist movements in the world. Her course was full of historic background, current issues and a lot of self-deconstruction about the way we live and think. This course focuses on feminism and social justice movements overall, treating every topic with respect and a big amount of awareness, since exact dates, facts, and quotes are brought to the conversation. I absolutely recommend this course made by Professor Aptheker.

By Jennifer S

Jun 27, 2020

Este curso respondió a una de mis pasiones y prinicipios y su construcción es impecable. La profesora Bettina Aptheker es una contadora de historias excepcional, su conocimiento del tema, su amabilidad y deseo de transmitir sus conocimientos y la consciencia social que implican, fueron importantes para el seguimiento y terminación del curso. Los temas son realmente interesantes y pertinentes. El curso está estructurado para enlazar correctamente el feminismo y la necesidad de que el mismo (o los mismos) sean o respondan a luchas sociales omnicomprensivas. Muchas gracias, lo disfruté y aprendí mucho.

By sofia b l

Aug 26, 2020

I loved the course! Im 16 years old and it really made me think and reflect on many many things and aspects of our society today. Bettina is an amazing woman and lecturer and I will for sure continue to research about her. If yo want to learn about feminism, social justice, the power of social movements, privilege, violence and so much more interesting topics this is your course. I really am thrilled to continue investigating and learn so much more about social justice after doing this course, so I really hope if your reading this you give it a chance because you are not going to regret it. :)

By Veronica N

Feb 02, 2020

I found this course to be incredibly interesting. The lectures were the right links and covered the right amount of detail. The instructor has a great deal of in-depth knowledge about the subject, and even first-hand knowledge. I liked the learning checks during the lecture, the discussion questions, and the quizzes. I especially liked that there was no writing required on my part. I have taken this course to familiarize myself with the subject and had there been a lot of writing involved, I would not have signed up. My life is too busy so this course is perfect as it is designed.

By Ajnabi K P

Jun 08, 2020

Social justice feminism is the practice of recognizing issues of oppression dealing with race, class, sexuality, and citizenship and challenging them through practice rather than theory. This form of feminism allows for a broader audience beyond the white middle aged women who began the movement. It actively fights racism and class privilege by “ensuring that those most affected by policies and practices are at the decision making table.” It advocates for more women of color in leadership roles and allows recognition for global gender justice and women's rights.

By Eunice C

Jun 17, 2020

A very good course especially for someone who wants to learn more about feminism! What made it more interesting to watch is because of Prof. Aptheker; not only did she know what she was talking about, but she has experienced and gone through most of it, too, which made it more personal for her and somehow made me more engaged in the course. This experience was very enjoyable for me and I definitely learned a lot. It has opened my eyes into the various injustices that women face everywhere. I wish the course had been longer!

By Giovana G P

Aug 08, 2020

This course provided a lot of extremely important knowledge to educate me even better about the feminist movement and social justice, Professor Bettina Aptheker's explains in a very clear and intelligent way her ideas, explanations, incredible references in addition to her life stories that undoubtedly make part of the revolution that has been going on over the years. It was an honor to be able to participate, this course should be taught literally everywhere for everyone, thank you very much for this experience.

By Lisa H

Feb 25, 2020

The professor was very knowledgeable and did an excellent job of distilling a lot of complicated concepts into easily understandable parts. She is in command of the related historical concepts. Her presentation was organized and clear. I also found her to be very personable, with a great sense of humor (appropriately so). I also enjoyed the variety of topics covered and the specific examples that she used as the basis for her lectures. I would take another course taught by her without hesitation.

By Zheni Y

Oct 25, 2020

I found this course extremely insightful. I loved how it focused on the intersectionality of feminism and used historical examples to illustrate its main points. Professor Aptheker is an amazing teacher - I thoroughly enjoyed her way of telling stories, engaging not only the students in the classroom with her, but also those of us in front of our screens. Her first-hand experience with the presented events helped perceiving the explained problems as something universal that involves all of us.

By Francesca N

Mar 28, 2020

Brief but powerful. Intersectionality reveals to be an inevitable tool and method to look into only apparently separate struggles. I also appreciated the frequent references to historical facts, anecdotes, and personal stories, again not at all just personal, but rather loud enough to be inspiring and eye-opening about otherwise hidden patterns.

Would certainly recommend it, especially to those who are willing to challenge a stereotypical interpretation of feminism and feminist studies.

By Navid S

Apr 07, 2019

This course is truly educational and inspirational. It gives the power of knowledge that is a necessary step in making any kind of change in our society. We owe it to ourselves to learn, increase our awareness and knowledge, before we can change and improve our society. The first step towards change is knowledge, which this course offers, the second step is to change our hearts. That part is our own responsibility. Thank you for the course, Dr. Aptheker, and the gift of the first step.

By Amy A

Sep 16, 2020

I loved this course! I could not wait to log on to learn more from Prof. Bettina Aptheker. The pace of this course was perfect and I especially appreciated the careful balance of theory and application of feminist principles. Thank you Prof. Aptheker (and Coursera) for making this course available. I consider myself a feminist and advocate for vulnerable women, however I have never taken a Women's Studies course. Participating in this class has opened a new door for me. In power.

By Emily C

Jul 18, 2020

Weekly course topics were diverse and covered material and historical events that wouldn't necessarily be included in a typical introductory Women's Studies course. Lectures were accessible, but they provoked thought and listener engagement. Professor Aptheker's humor and personal anecdotes made me feel like I was inside the classroom. This was an interesting crash course in feminism and the intersections of gender-based oppressions with race, class, and other systems of power.

By Katharina M

Aug 11, 2019

Ein großartiger Kurs, in dem man wahnsinnig viel durch spannende Vorträge von Bettina Aptheker erfährt und das Wissen durch das dazugehörige Quiz vertiefen kann. Ich habe den Vorträgen von B. Aptheker mit solch einem Interesse gelauscht und da bekommt man auf jeden Fall Lust mehr zu erfahren und in dieser Richtung zu machen. Ein sehr wertvoller Kurs, kompakt, aber detailliert, mit vielen Ausführungen, einfach nur TOP! Vielen Dank / Thank you so much / Спасибо!

By Rohini M

Aug 29, 2020

The lectures were educational as well as inspiring. The struggles women faced and many challenges they still face now, together around the globe connects us to form a bond. It gives us, women a perspective and vision into what many women are still facing; not all struggles are similar, but nonetheless we all are collectively united in our beliefs that one day things will be better than its today; till then the struggles, confrontations and equality goes on.

By serena s

Jul 18, 2020

this was my first experience. it was incredible. i never had the opportunity to attend college. i am 50 years old and a stay at home mom caring for my disabled son. i was looking for a way to take classes. sharpen my mind. i wasn't even sure i could do this because of my schedule and also because it feels like a lifetime since leaving the 10th grade. i feel such a sense of accomplishment. and look forward to taking more courses. i would highly recommend.

By Maria V G R

Apr 03, 2020

It was a great course, I am so glad I took it! The lectures are interesting, especially because they try to highlight the importance of intersectionality in feminism. I think it is an enjoyable course for beginners who want to have a better understanding of feminism, but also for people who have knowledge about it, as it reviews key events and concepts from an interesting perspective. I would love to take more courses with professor Bettina Aptheker.

By Shriya A

May 08, 2020

I loved that this course addressed interesectionality so wholly, because I feel that otherwise, interesectionality is not given as much importance in the teaching of feminism. The professor was extremely lucid in her lectures, and kept me engaged throughout. I also particularly appreciated that she did not shy away from 'subjective' topics, and did not try to give us an 'objective' understanding of events. Would love to see more courses like this!!

By Belinda

Oct 17, 2019

Short but interesting history of feminism in the US. I would have liked more information about other parts of the world (though I understand and accept that Coursera is a US-centric website).

I found the most value in the theme of the intersectionality of feminism - I was aware of it prior but Prof Aptheker's detailed knowledge expanded my understanding, and gave me more ways to understand and articulate my own intersectional feminism.

Thank you.

By Alexandra G

Aug 05, 2020

Phenomenal. I just wish it were longer or covered a range of other topics related to feminism and social justice such as elaborating on more theoretical concepts or general ideas along with the stories and narratives about women. The videos were also engaging and Ms. Aptheker was a fantastic lecturer. I wish the videos were more broken up but the content and learning experience did make up for the length. Thank you for the course.