Back to Feminism and Social Justice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Feminism and Social Justice by University of California, Santa Cruz

"Feminism and Social Justice" is an adaptation of Distinguished Professor Bettina Aptheker's long-running course at UC Santa Cruz. In the course, Professor Aptheker presents a broad definition of feminism that serves to frame three significant events in the history of feminism and social justice: the Empire Zinc strike of 1951, the 1971-1972 trial of Angela Davis, and the #metoo Movement....

IS

Feb 12, 2020

This course was very impactful, I now understand the history of rape as a crime, the attitudes that have diminished and undermine women's rights. I am hoping that we will get things right as a people

G

Jun 05, 2019

This was an enlightening course! I had a limited understanding on the issues around feminism and social justice and I got listen to perspectives from many angles. And the Professor Bettina is great.

1 - 25 of 120 Reviews for Feminism and Social Justice

By Ahmad A

May 04, 2019

It's a useful course, But it is too historical and narrative instead of Focus on concepts

By Tara M

Jun 30, 2019

I greatly enjoyed this course. It was very engaging and I found Bettina's teaching style warm and accessible. I was disappointed the course didn't run for longer as I so enjoyed learning about the origins of feminism and key historical events that have shaped our position in the world today.

By Richa A

Jun 22, 2019

Beautiful course. A sensitive topic very lucidly compiled. Hope that such a course is available in the Indian context too.

By Elena D

Jun 23, 2019

Inspiring, informative, enthusiastic, fantastic!

By Esther A

Jun 24, 2019

I have found the course of great help, giving me a whole thorough look at the social justice movement and feminism.

By Tanya L

Jul 14, 2019

This course gives me a better understanding of what ferminism is.

By soumya p

Apr 08, 2020

I really enjoyed the course and was able to finish it way before the stipulated time because of how much i could relate to the experiences shared throughout the course. The discussion forum was really informative as well as the question aimed to get a more wholesome understanding of how abuse operates in different parts of the world and reading through it really made me feel like women essentially have the same experiences throughout the world. Some of the cases studied during the course took place before I was even born and reading about them really helped me in broadening my understanding of how social movements and Feminism has evolved over centuries of struggle.

By Завьялова Л И

Mar 30, 2020

The course Feminism and Social Justice is really great! Thanks to Bettina Aptheker, I know more of the history of feminism and how it developed. Incredibly interesting, quite brief and powerful, it made me think of the current social environment in my country and in the world in general. As a consequence, I should say I am ready to spur into immediate action to help people treated unfairly. Moreover, the professor is very knowledgeable. She managed to make many complicated concepts into easily understandable parts. I would definitely recommend the course to my friends and acquaintances as the information given here is worth knowing and studying.

By Zainab R

Apr 08, 2020

I am so glad I was able to take this course and I wish more and more people would take it:

a) Dr Aptheker is a brilliant teacher—her lectures are coherent and she is very clear about what she is talking about. It was a delight to take this course from someone like who has been a part of such great movements.

b) It is an important course for anyone who is interested in feminism and social justice; it focuses on intersectionality, Dr Aptheker makes use of cases that we have heard of to go ahead with what she wants to talk about, the course looks through an interdisciplinary lens which makes it all the more interesting.

By Veronica N

Feb 02, 2020

I found this course to be incredibly interesting. The lectures were the right links and covered the right amount of detail. The instructor has a great deal of in-depth knowledge about the subject, and even first-hand knowledge. I liked the learning checks during the lecture, the discussion questions, and the quizzes. I especially liked that there was no writing required on my part. I have taken this course to familiarize myself with the subject and had there been a lot of writing involved, I would not have signed up. My life is too busy so this course is perfect as it is designed.

By Vitályos R

Mar 21, 2020

It was a very structured and informative course! I enjoyed it very much. I wish there were more lecures though. She could've discussed the different waves of feminism and maybe reflect a bit on the issues and history of feminism in other countries and continent. It was very US-centered. Altough I could follow most of her thoughts, you probably need a deeper knowlegde on general US history to fully understand all her references and statements. All in all, I am very glad to have been able to take this course!

By Lisa H

Feb 25, 2020

The professor was very knowledgeable and did an excellent job of distilling a lot of complicated concepts into easily understandable parts. She is in command of the related historical concepts. Her presentation was organized and clear. I also found her to be very personable, with a great sense of humor (appropriately so). I also enjoyed the variety of topics covered and the specific examples that she used as the basis for her lectures. I would take another course taught by her without hesitation.

By Francesca N

Mar 28, 2020

Brief but powerful. Intersectionality reveals to be an inevitable tool and method to look into only apparently separate struggles. I also appreciated the frequent references to historical facts, anecdotes, and personal stories, again not at all just personal, but rather loud enough to be inspiring and eye-opening about otherwise hidden patterns.

Would certainly recommend it, especially to those who are willing to challenge a stereotypical interpretation of feminism and feminist studies.

By Navid S

Apr 07, 2019

This course is truly educational and inspirational. It gives the power of knowledge that is a necessary step in making any kind of change in our society. We owe it to ourselves to learn, increase our awareness and knowledge, before we can change and improve our society. The first step towards change is knowledge, which this course offers, the second step is to change our hearts. That part is our own responsibility. Thank you for the course, Dr. Aptheker, and the gift of the first step.

By Katharina M

Aug 11, 2019

Ein großartiger Kurs, in dem man wahnsinnig viel durch spannende Vorträge von Bettina Aptheker erfährt und das Wissen durch das dazugehörige Quiz vertiefen kann. Ich habe den Vorträgen von B. Aptheker mit solch einem Interesse gelauscht und da bekommt man auf jeden Fall Lust mehr zu erfahren und in dieser Richtung zu machen. Ein sehr wertvoller Kurs, kompakt, aber detailliert, mit vielen Ausführungen, einfach nur TOP! Vielen Dank / Thank you so much / Спасибо!

By Maria V G R

Apr 03, 2020

It was a great course, I am so glad I took it! The lectures are interesting, especially because they try to highlight the importance of intersectionality in feminism. I think it is an enjoyable course for beginners who want to have a better understanding of feminism, but also for people who have knowledge about it, as it reviews key events and concepts from an interesting perspective. I would love to take more courses with professor Bettina Aptheker.

By Belinda

Oct 17, 2019

Short but interesting history of feminism in the US. I would have liked more information about other parts of the world (though I understand and accept that Coursera is a US-centric website).

I found the most value in the theme of the intersectionality of feminism - I was aware of it prior but Prof Aptheker's detailed knowledge expanded my understanding, and gave me more ways to understand and articulate my own intersectional feminism.

Thank you.

By Paloma A d O

Feb 02, 2020

This is a fundamental fantastic course that should be presented in every basic school, every company, to everyone and everywhere. I want to thank Prof. Aptheker for a wonderful curriculum and for explaining in a clear way the fundamentals of interesection-feminism. I would like very much to have an extended curriculum and would appreciate eve more if could include other worldwide examples.

By Mathx

Nov 03, 2019

I am trying to get the basics of Feminism correct - and this course helped me build a historical context of the movement. I found it very useful and even though the context is American (just an observation not a criticism) but there are so many paralells with the situation in my country. I guess all I can say is that it was perfect - and now I am looking for the next level

By Alice D

Jan 31, 2020

Amazing! This course really put the current feminism and social justice movements into a historical context for me and gave a really great overview but also insight into some of the theoretical framework. I really enjoyed Professor Aptheker's teaching, her personal stories and sensitivity. Thank you so much for sharing this important resource, respect.

By amy f

Apr 09, 2020

The course held my interest and gave a short and sweet overview on feminism and social justice issues. It provides context and background leading up to the current state of the oppression of women. I also think it's interesting that Pressor Aptheker has been personally involved in some of the movements discussed.

By MADHUVADHANI M

Dec 25, 2019

The course "FEMINISM AND SOCIAL JUSTICE" provides a clear view about the various struggles and history of the feminist wave and social movement. Professor Aptheker, clearly explains all the aspects and the syllabus is also quite reasonable. This is a worthy course for people interested in feminist studies.

By B B

Feb 26, 2020

Thoroughly rewarding. Thank You, especially to Bettina for developing and presenting the course. When I was 13 (in 1970) I never foresaw a time when I would be studying Angela Davis or the Soledad Brothers. Times have changed (slightly) for the better. But so much more to be done. Don't give up.

By mona

Mar 30, 2020

It was amazing. You never get bored when she is talking, she gives a clear picture of feminism and social movements. It is so inspiring and i wish i could have taken more courses with her. Thank you Coursera to give me this opportunity to attend in this course and develop my own perspective.