Back to Feminism and Social Justice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Feminism and Social Justice by University of California, Santa Cruz

"Feminism and Social Justice" is an adaptation of Distinguished Professor Bettina Aptheker's long-running course at UC Santa Cruz. In the course, Professor Aptheker presents a broad definition of feminism that serves to frame three significant events in the history of feminism and social justice: the Empire Zinc strike of 1951, the 1971-1972 trial of Angela Davis, and the #metoo Movement....

Jun 23, 2020

Everyone should take up this course because this course has a structured curriculum for feminism. The idea of feminism is something we have learnt from media, one will come to know about the meaning.

IS

Feb 12, 2020

This course was very impactful, I now understand the history of rape as a crime, the attitudes that have diminished and undermine women's rights. I am hoping that we will get things right as a people

101 - 125 of 747 Reviews for Feminism and Social Justice

By Magali C B

Sep 01, 2020

If you are scrolling through reviews to decide whether to take or not this course, this is your sign, do it. The professor is amazing and know from first hand experiences so much about social justice movements and listening to the lectures is just incredible. I would definitely recommend it.

By Indrajeet A S

Jul 10, 2020

Excellent course, so informative and so interesting. Filled with key historical events which i feel everyone should know about, because they are the foundations of today's world. They are narrated very well by Mrs. Bettina and it is fascinating how she was actually a part of these movements.

By mona

Mar 30, 2020

It was amazing. You never get bored when she is talking, she gives a clear picture of feminism and social movements. It is so inspiring and i wish i could have taken more courses with her. Thank you Coursera to give me this opportunity to attend in this course and develop my own perspective.

By ANN M K A

Jul 20, 2020

Feminism and social Justice is an amazing course. It has given a very clear idea of what exactly Feminism is. Prof. Bettina Apthekar has brilliantly organised the lecturers in such way that she has blended her personal experiences along with other historical, political and social movements

By Nisha A

Aug 24, 2020

The course is amazing, and so is the instructor. I wish that there were more lectures by her because they are so interesting and eye-opening as well, to a certain extent. Nevertheless, the experience was absolutely wonderful. I hope that the professor offers more courses on this platform.

By Anaga S

Jun 12, 2020

Dear Prof. Aptheker, thank you for this amazing course. I loved every minute of it. It is a course many have to take up to understand the standing a woman has in her society, anywhere across the world. And you have made this understanding easy, simple and interesting to learn. Thank you!!

By Gulzada X

May 15, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. In my university, there are no courses on gender studies and it was very great to get this kind of background. Thanks to my professor, thanks to my groupmates whose responses I read and informed about the cases in India, Brazil, and other places in the world.

By Marjori C R F

Aug 24, 2020

Me gustó muchísimo. Es un curso muy bueno que se enfoca en el feminismo estadounidense y la conexión que presenta con el racismo. Principalmente, el curso se trata de análisis de casos de justicia social en la historia. Fueron muy entretenidos y la profesora muy dinámica. Lo recomiendo.

By María F L D

Aug 24, 2020

It's a complete course of this important topic, I learned a lot and also I'm so proud of that this tipe of information is an interest fot lot of person, that show that, as a society we're moving forward, isn't much but withthis course we can learn and just move on for a justice society.

By Srithanya S

Jul 04, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, with the wide range of content and examples throughout history and race. Thank you Professor Apthekar, who made this course very engaging and especially interesting. I love Feminism and Social Justice and you made me love it more and know more about it.

By Shreya

Jul 02, 2020

I found this course to be deeply engaging. The way the professor taught this course was amazing ad it helped me understand US history and the interconnected nature of gender, race and class. I would recommend this course to my friends so that the movements can spread like a wildfire :)

By Patricia A M L

Jun 12, 2020

As a young woman and someone who does not know too much about feminism, this course was an excellent beginning to start to get related with the feminist culture and values. It was a beautiful and powerful experience as well, and a motivation to continue learning more about the subject.

By Puneet B

Apr 30, 2020

This is one of those courses that you want to be longer! Its a request to please make this course more elaborate. One of the most important topics, and probably the only course in Coursera dealing with it! It was also a privilege to hear Professor's lectures. Her persona is inspiring.

By Setareh S

Apr 01, 2020

Wonderful course, very informative and engaging. Dr. Aptheker is a great lecturer. The only negative is that the course was too short to be titled "Feminism and Social Justice". Maybe a more accurate title would be "case studies in feminism and social justice in 20th century America".

By Noemi M

Sep 12, 2020

The course has been very interesting, and even though I had already a basic preparation of the general topic - intersectional feminist theory and movement, it taught me more about the specific US environment, and gave me few more points of view and topics of discussions. Recommended!

By Megan F

Jun 02, 2020

Excellent course! I learned an incredible amount about social movements and important women in the history of the feminist movement. I enjoyed Professor Aptheker's teaching style and found her very down-to-earth and relatable. Really enjoyed this class and recommended it to others.

By Ruchi M

Apr 12, 2020

ITs a must learn course for both Men and Women. The Tutor Professor is too good to explain all historical facts so well. I would motivate all to join this and learn how old this women empowerment word is and is strongly worked upon by many people and crossed many global boundaries.

By Milena

Jul 11, 2020

The professor is very clear explaining the content and the material offered during the course is very helpful. I highly recommend this course. I have to outline that the way the professor talks about the content is unique - I am very satisfied with this course. I've learned a lot!

By Noelia F

May 04, 2020

Thank you for having this class available. I wanted to learn more about social justice, and systematic oppression and this was the perfect class to take. It was heavy and useful information that I will share and consider when helping an oppressed community. Thank you again! :-)

By Claudia G

Apr 14, 2020

I have really enjoyed the course, especially for its intersectional focus. The concepts studied are widely documented, including one from the teacher's own experience. I personally liked that the course materials are given in the form of videos, which make the lessons dynamic.

By Eleanor S

May 09, 2020

I loved taking this course! So eye-opening and fascinating to learn in depth about feminist and social justice movements with real, concrete examples. The first-hand experiences from the professor were also incredible. I learned so much, everyone should be taking this course.

By Ana V

Apr 12, 2020

It was one of the most inspiring and clarifying courses in my life. Being an American Latin woman, even in the contest of not living outside of South America, it brings to me that understanding the oppression I suffer is the first step to begin seeing myself as a feminist.

By Daniela R

Jul 23, 2020

Me encantó! Me pareció un curso que explica fácil y dinámicamente conceptos básicos para acercarse al feminismo. La profesora me parece la más indicada para dictarlo pues habla de su experiencia personal y lo hace con un tono amigable y a veces sarcástico/divertido.

By Fernanda R

Mar 05, 2020

I loved bettina, shes so smart and eloquent and explains such complex events in a fantastic manner. I with the course would continue, I learned so much and I am excited to continue learning about feminism and social justice.

Thank you Bettina! you are an inspiration

By Jhon S R M

Jul 11, 2020

Very good and interesting, I think that everyone should do this course because it provides basic tools to better understand the current situation of violence against minorities and especially towards women that occur systematically in practically the whole world.