Back to Foundations of Mindfulness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Foundations of Mindfulness by Rice University

This course provides a broad overview of the fundamental concepts, principles, and practices of mindfulness. With interactive exercises to help students explore their own attitudes, mental habits and behaviors, Foundations of Mindfulness offers a pathway for living with more freedom, authenticity and ease. Featured components of the course include experiential exercises, guided meditations, personal reflection and interactive discussions....

BR
Jan 11, 2021

Well organized course material. Many opportunities to engage with other students. Active learning throughout course. Excellent resources. Lectures are good length with meaningful content.

WR
Aug 26, 2020

In four weeks you can move from someone who has never experienced mindfulness to someone who has a solid foundation to build a transformational practice. I highly recommend this course!!

26 - 50 of 159 Reviews for Foundations of Mindfulness

By Spencer B

Aug 7, 2020

I was genuinely happy with the course. But I kept trying to complete the final part and it kept saying that I did not complete the past segment. I was completely frustrated. May not have been the instructor's fault but made the experience rather dreadful.

By Alicia L

May 28, 2021

I really enjoyed this course and I love how Dr Elizabeth Slator explained the concept of mindfulness and how it relates to our daily life. The third week of lecture content is very heart-warming to watch and to listen to. Before this class, I thought that maybe by learning and mastering mindfulness could provide me an accreditation to train someone else. But now, I realize that it's not the case because mindfulness is a never-ending practice throughout our life and there is no so-called as "mastering mindfulness". Life is a process and so is being mindful. It's going to always be a process of discovering self or things in life and there isn't graduation cap for mastering mindfulness skill.

By Sujatha R

Jun 21, 2021

This course is very well designed. Dr. Elizabeth Slater takes us through four weeks of Mindfulness practice in a step by step process, balancing out theory and practice in right measure. The weekly peer graded assignments and reflections ensure that we really focus on practice. After completing the course, I am able to practice mindfulness sessions more effectively. Thanks a lot Dr. Slater for creating this course for the benefit of one and all.

By Sarah P

Feb 20, 2021

This was an excellent course. I enjoyed It very much. I learned more about mindfulness and about myself. The concepts were structured and taught In a way that was easy to digest and then apply. I learned useful tools here I hope to use to make progress In my life. Even without those tools, this was a great way to use the free time I'm fortunate enough to have right now. Loved It! I hope I can find a follow-up course to keep going!

By wilfred c

Dec 5, 2020

This was a pragmatic, well balanced course incorporating reading and activity to discover practices to achieve greater focus. It has inspired me to commence with daily meditation.Particularly during this pandemic it occurs to me that this would be a very useful course for a broad audience. With people forced to stay home, with reduced activities, this would be an excellent supplement to both learn and grow.

By ELICE B

May 25, 2021

Really a great course with a well constructed stepped approach that I have greatly appreciated. All the videos, Weekly Activity Challanges and provided material let inside me something important, able to make me reflect and improve habits and attitude. The benefits gained during the course were really important in a continuous path of inner growth that will improve for sure my new life based on Mindfulness.

By lisa w

Mar 8, 2021

I really enjoyed this course! It was easy to go at your own pace and complete the assignments. I learned a lot from reflecting on my experiences each week, and the actual sessions to guide you through a meditation were so helpful. I will continue to use the practices I learned in the past few weeks, and learn to better listen to my inner voice, senses and body to enrich my future life. Thank you!

By nageswara r g

Jun 10, 2021

The course is really a helpful one in this busy world. One should do this course to get relax from the busy and mechanical life. It certainly provides to have comfort and peace what we require now a days. There are some practice sessions in between the course which make us how to over come pressure and tension. It also teaches us how to control our body and mind to lead peaceful life.

By Panduka N

Jan 18, 2021

The best mindfulness course.

Basic mindfulness concepts are introduced with weekly activities to practise what we learn. If you can spend 2-3 hours per week that would be great and you will have a positive impact on your mind and body. At the end of each week, the teacher will share the experience of a participant. You are encouraged to share and go through additional materials.

By Richard

Feb 9, 2021

The content, instructional presentation, activities, and quiz/reflections were well integrated and contributed to an excellent experience. The course presents the historical background of Mindfulness as well as the foundation tools necessary to begin the practice. Dr Slator is an excellent instructor who presents the course content in a knowledgeable and compassionate manner.

By Shruti B

Jun 21, 2021

I found this course at a point in my life that I was struggling with my mental health. It really helped me understand and experience how mindfulness can be an effective tool for me to use. I love the way the course is structured - at no point does it feel overwhelming - and the guided meditations are simply excellent. Thank you, Dr. Slator, for such a brilliant course!

By Maria E C S

Feb 9, 2021

Just to say thanks to Dr Elizabeth Slator and her time from Rice and Coursera. Thanks!!

Time well spent in doing this training in Mindfulness. Now, I have the awareness to stop when I am doing something, a simple task only for the sake of doing. It is really nice to stop and appreciate and be grateful looking it with a different eyes what nature, life have to offer.

By Joe C

Mar 21, 2021

Great course that provided tremendous benefits to me personally. It's one of the few courses that I've taken online that I truly looked forward to returning module after module. I believe everyone can find some takeaways from this course to live more in the present, more mindfully and with greater gratitude.

By Tracey S

Apr 25, 2021

I cannot say enough about this course. Yes the work is self directed but I found I still got a lot of insights and useful information from completing it. I feel I have grown personally from taking this course and that I will take what I learned here through my life. I highly recommend this course.

By Teena I

May 6, 2021

I really did enjoy this class . It helped me a great deal with the re-entry of meditation along with mindfullness . This class brought me back to the importance of daily meditation and how most days I can bring myself back to the present .

Thank you to the instructures ypu were wonderful ,

By Bernadette B

Feb 19, 2021

I enjoyed the course. It was my first experience with mindfulness and meditation. I found the practice a bit challenging; however It opened a new door for me. The instructor was wonderful. I look forward to taking another course soon

Thank you for a wonderful opportunity.

Bernadette

By Armand c

Aug 26, 2020

This course, to my mind, is very valuable. It will help students become more focused, attentive, and aware of the surroundings. Students will have a new set of eyes, and will notice things which they have taken for granted before. I wish I had this course when I was younger.

By Loice S

May 16, 2021

I found the weekly information built on each other. The exercises blended nicely for practice. I found that I could incorporate this into my normal daily life which will make continuing beyond the course easier. I found the course to be extremely. beneficial to my life.

By MANI A P

Aug 18, 2020

Initially this course helps in opening our ears and followed by insight view on both breath and body.

I would like my sincere gratitude to start from Buddha , Jon Kabat-Zin , RICE(Professor Dr.Elizabeth), Coursera and not least our sponsored Group of College RAMCO.

By Candice L

Feb 15, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, it's helped me in so many ways and I learned valuable skills that can be used in everyday life and help me navigate tough situations and emotions as they arise. Dr. Slator made it such a welcoming, safe and enjoyable experience.

By Victor G

Feb 28, 2021

Excellent course. The ability to communicate and to empathize of Dr Slator doubled its value. I really recommend it to everyone which has a honest and curious interest in what mindfulness really is and of course to everyone which is in the search of himself.

By Elizabeth M

Feb 7, 2021

Dr. Elizabeth Slator does a remarkable job of explaining the benefits and various ways of practicing mindfulness in a way that encourages sustainable growth as much as educates. I truly enjoyed this course and am grateful for the opportunity to participate.

By Kimberly R

Oct 29, 2020

I enjoyed this course so much. The instructor was relatable and her presentation kept me interested in the course. I highly recommend Foundations of Mindfulness for anyone wanting to start a journey of meditation and mindfulness. Great course! :)

By Aikaterini S

Feb 14, 2021

An exceptional course led by a calming and positive figure, Dr. Slator, who deeply inspired me to make Mindfulness a part of my everyday life. Thank you very much for all the effort you put into making this course so enjoyable and educational.

By Subnaveesu V R S V

Feb 14, 2021

Really, Inspired and learnt a lot by the way Faculty members Professors, Technicians and all other's who worked very hard to making this Course Successful

Thanks to Coursera for providing all of us Such a wonderful Course like Mindfulness.