Back to Foundations of Mindfulness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Foundations of Mindfulness by Rice University

This course provides a broad overview of the fundamental concepts, principles, and practices of mindfulness. With interactive exercises to help students explore their own attitudes, mental habits and behaviors, Foundations of Mindfulness offers a pathway for living with more freedom, authenticity and ease. Featured components of the course include experiential exercises, guided meditations, personal reflection and interactive discussions....

BR
Jan 11, 2021

Well organized course material. Many opportunities to engage with other students. Active learning throughout course. Excellent resources. Lectures are good length with meaningful content.

WR
Aug 26, 2020

In four weeks you can move from someone who has never experienced mindfulness to someone who has a solid foundation to build a transformational practice. I highly recommend this course!!

1 - 25 of 71 Reviews for Foundations of Mindfulness

By Nicole D B

Jul 9, 2020

Beautiful course and so easy to understand and relate to.. Full of information that can be used beyond the course and i am truly looking forward in practicing what i have learned more. I especially loved the moments of practicing meditation with the instructo (it showed me how to do it properly instead of trying to figure it out on my own). Loved this course..

By Tarja H

Jul 17, 2020

It was more than I expected. Good theory sessions and nice practices, very good course. It is my pleasure to recommendate this course.

By Chan S C M

Aug 21, 2020

I am glad that I had selected the foundations of mindfulness. Overall, this course is well designed, the lessons are sufficiently paced to benefit learners to get the best out from the practices. I would recommend the foundations of mindfulness to busy people whom could not fine time to relax and reflect. It just takes less than 20 minutes of their schedule for a meditation practice for an overall balance in a purposeful life.

By Nancy S

Aug 23, 2020

The course was engaging and inspiring. The influence of this course in mindfulness has allowed me to transform my inner thoughts and mindset to find more positive feelings and be able to grow older with a new set of skills developed through guided meditation. I hope that I continue to enjoy the practice of mindfulness in my daily life.

By LAVERNE B

Sep 2, 2020

Absolutely a powerful course, this is something I will take with me professionally and personally. With co-workers and relationships outside of work.

By Casey E

Oct 19, 2020

I've taken a few courses on Coursera and I really liked this format the best so far: interactive discussion boards, lectures rooted in science/theory, suggested readings to deepen learning, journaling to get the synapses firing, and tracked practice to pull it all together. I had no clue what to expect and had never practiced mindfulness before. After this course, I find I am hungry for more and am pursuing it on my own. This course definitely changed my life, and sad it's over to be honest!

By Josef M

Oct 4, 2020

I know my review will sound like a pure marketing but anyway - this is really great course and I can really recommend it to everyone who is interested in mindfulness. I enjoyed it very much. You definitely have to try it!

By Pui M

Oct 28, 2020

Good introduction to mindfulness and inspired me to continue with the practice. I hope I can continue to journey, see how much severance I have got.

By Melanie j

Aug 3, 2020

Excellent course! I absolutely loved it. Changed my mindset about life and will help me with my own clients.

By Krishnaveti H

Jul 20, 2020

Wonderful practice-based Mindfulness course!!!

By Spencer B

Aug 7, 2020

I was genuinely happy with the course. But I kept trying to complete the final part and it kept saying that I did not complete the past segment. I was completely frustrated. May not have been the instructor's fault but made the experience rather dreadful.

By Hugo

Jan 26, 2021

It's a great course. Its simple, but with a great impact. A lot of people, including me, might be skeptical about Mindfulness because of the exhausting bombarding of pseudo-scientific and pseudo-spiritual actors selling it as a silver bullet. In this case, this course takes us through the objective elements: science, history, concrete evidence that is a building block of this relatively new exploration of the mind. Remember, that the exploration of the conscience/brain is something "new", and with new technology we are finding more and more data about the plasticity of the brain and the impact generated by our language, speech, culture, etc... Try this, and give yourself the chance to reclaim a space for your own mind.

By Ng S H

Jan 19, 2021

Thank you very much for a very good learning and experiential course on the Foundations of Mindfulness. There were a lot of self-discovery and am trying to make mindfulness as my close friend to understand my mind and body processes and mental tendencies better.

The impactful words of the 7 Attitudinal Foundations of Trust, Patience, Non-striving, Non-judgmental, Acceptance, Letting go and Beginner's mind, and R.AI.N of Recognise, Allow, Investigate and Nurture are extremely helpful in my life journey of mindfulness.

Thank you very much to the course instructor, Dr. Elizabeth and her team of assistants for a wonderful excellent course on the foundations of mindfulness. Thank you.

By Ana E A

Jan 17, 2021

Foundation of mindfulness allows us to calm the mind and connect with body sensations which appears to be absent as we tackle our day to day. Through subtle meditation, we are able to calm the central nervous system and become aware of present moments. It helps with training the mind to focus on the now. As the outcome, we are able to fully embrace experiences, and accomplish tasks. We also learn how to be forgiving and empathetic understanding that behavioral changes are practices requiring patience.

By Vlasiuk O

Aug 22, 2020

This is a great course on mindfulness and meditation. Material is very brief and everything is useful, complete and necessary. Teacher is very positive, good explanations, nice case study (example of the student), nice meditation audio tracks. I really organased myself and practiced regularly. Forum (discussions) are very useful, it helps to see that you are not alone with your hardships, back pain and monkey mind during meditation. I recommend you this course for sure!

By Abeywardena, H

Dec 26, 2020

This was a wonderful course and a wonderful experience. The each lecture session was like therapy for me. I started this course without knowing anything about mindfulness but now I can surely say I have improved my self in various aspects otherwise I would not have even noticed or cared for at all. I would like to thank Dr. Elizabeth Slator for sharing this valuable information and I wish her all the best to continue what she's doing.

By Sue L C

Jan 25, 2021

Mindfulness can be taught very effectively online without an expensive fee (in fact FREE!) and without a famous brand name like "Chopra" or "MBSR". I enjoyed taking the course, and having the concepts of mindfulness so well-explained and illustrated. I highly recommend this course to anyone seeking to better understand mindfulness, and perhaps try to put some of the concepts into practice.

Thank you Rice U and Dr. Elizabeth Slator!

By Wilfred j c

Dec 5, 2020

This was a pragmatic, well balanced course incorporating reading and activity to discover practices to achieve greater focus. It has inspired me to commence with daily meditation.Particularly during this pandemic it occurs to me that this would be a very useful course for a broad audience. With people forced to stay home, with reduced activities, this would be an excellent supplement to both learn and grow.

By Panduka N

Jan 18, 2021

The best mindfulness course.

Basic mindfulness concepts are introduced with weekly activities to practise what we learn. If you can spend 2-3 hours per week that would be great and you will have a positive impact on your mind and body. At the end of each week, the teacher will share the experience of a participant. You are encouraged to share and go through additional materials.

By Maria E C S

Sep 16, 2020

Just to say thanks to Dr Elizabeth Slator and her time from Rice and Coursera. Thanks!!

Time well spent in doing this training in Mindfulness. Now, I have the awareness to stop when I am doing something, a simple task only for the sake of doing. It is really nice to stop and appreciate and be grateful looking it with a different eyes what nature, life have to offer.

By Armand c

Aug 26, 2020

This course, to my mind, is very valuable. It will help students become more focused, attentive, and aware of the surroundings. Students will have a new set of eyes, and will notice things which they have taken for granted before. I wish I had this course when I was younger.

By MANI A P

Aug 18, 2020

Initially this course helps in opening our ears and followed by insight view on both breath and body.

I would like my sincere gratitude to start from Buddha , Jon Kabat-Zin , RICE(Professor Dr.Elizabeth), Coursera and not least our sponsored Group of College RAMCO.

By Kimberly R

Oct 29, 2020

I enjoyed this course so much. The instructor was relatable and her presentation kept me interested in the course. I highly recommend Foundations of Mindfulness for anyone wanting to start a journey of meditation and mindfulness. Great course! :)

By Simone L

Dec 7, 2020

This course was instrumental to opening my eyes to the difference of meditation and a mindfulness practice - some similarities, but differences too. I feel so fortunate to have come across Dr. Elizabeth Slator's course!

By Orit A

Sep 2, 2020

Although I was familiar with some of the techniques used, I was made aware to many insights that were new to me. It was a good grounding space to start and deepening my relationship with mindfulness and myself.