Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

1 - 25 of 406 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Anamaria K

Apr 17, 2017

The teacher is wonderful, the course is very fun and wonderfully structured - I would highly recommend it! It is in itself like a multiplayer game that I enjoyed playing! :) The peer-reviewed assignments were really allowing me to learn by doing and to gradually learn from my and others' mistakes. All together, it was great!

By Juliana C R

Jul 13, 2019

It was Awesome!!!

By Aaron O

Jun 30, 2019

This course is excellently presented, with a nice splash of humour. Great core concepts covered and the assignments really impart the importance of play testing and prototyping.

By Steve C

Jun 30, 2019

This was my first class on Coursera. I really enjoyed the lessons and practice activities. The peer review process for grades is understandable but leaves the class vulnerable to evaluations by people who may or may not take the class as seriously as you would like. For someone who has played games for a long time, it was not a difficult class but still worth while.

By Divayansh B

Jun 26, 2019

Amazing instructor!

By Timothy N

Jun 22, 2019

Although I do have a wee bit of experience in game design, I came into this course with an open mind, a clean-slate approach, and a willingness to learn and better myself. This course focuses on some of the fundamentals of game design, and does so in a very fun, very engaging way. You'll never feel like the assignments are "work" - instead, at the beginning of each Week, you'll be chomping at the bit to get to the assignment. All the assignments are really fun and you'll love getting peer-reviewed because your peers on this course are most likely going to be fellow game enthusiasts!

By sergi m

Jun 15, 2019

Good introductory course. Short , simple , and funny!

By Andong Z

Jun 02, 2019

Love this class! A perfect kickstart for game newbies..

By Caitlin T

May 28, 2019

It's awesome, Mr. Krause is great and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself

By Melissa C

May 23, 2019

I think this was a great course for a person like myself who wanted to start learning about Game Design but really had no experience. I enjoyed to class and love the flexibility with being able to take it all on

By Marek J

May 20, 2019

Really liked the course - very important insights and excellent presentation of the content. By creating your own games and reviewing other actual games it's easier to learn teh content. Was fun, too!

By Garrett R W

Apr 08, 2019

I really feel like I gained a lot from this course. The concepts are simple when you think about it, but the point is that we don't often think about these foundations. I am really happy to have taken this course, and I think it set me up well for the rest of the specialization.

By Juan C L R

Apr 04, 2019

It is an excellent introduction to be a game designer

By Махаури Х М

Mar 27, 2019

I liked this course a lot. Thank you for letting me study the GameDesign!

By sugam m

Mar 19, 2019

Good start to understand the game mechanics. Thanks

By Non A

Mar 08, 2019

Great course!

By Liv

Mar 05, 2019

You can tell a lot of love was put into this course. Tons of fun. Really informative and entertaining videos!

By Christopher G

Feb 12, 2019

You learn the basic concepts of game designing with interactive and funny week assessments, very useful and enjoyable!

By Shanna S

Feb 04, 2019

This was my first course on COURSERA and first course about game design. It has really opened my mind to many characteristics of game design. It a super helpful course if your starting in game design(which I am!). You'll have the opportunity to review others and be reviewed, which is very important! The feedback I got really helped me to go forward, and reviewing others gave me the opportunity to see many different designs and ways to build game mechanics. It's very great.

By Wafa' B

Jan 31, 2019

Great course by Mr. Fran and the team at CALARTS. Looking forward to complete this program!

By Ng C L

Jan 03, 2019

It teaches very important basics, and has the information you need to help you get start on Game Design. Instructions are also very clear and simple for you to follow through, so even if you don't have a background knowledge, this will be a good starting point.

By Charlotte H

Dec 14, 2018

Great content, perfect level for beginners with a wide scope that can apply to all sorts of games. The videos are fun, engaging and really worth watching.

By Quentin H

Dec 06, 2018

Great course

By Daniel D

Dec 03, 2018

The videos are excellent and the teacher demonstrate vast knowledge in the area. But, I miss a more professional feedback on our submissions, sometimes it doesn't help at all, we're basically doing it by our own all the time, I believe the results could be even better with a better guidance.

By Ran C

Nov 12, 2018

啊啊啊啊啊太棒了。 so great. so jealous of you American students who have these super fun professor! :joy: