Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

1 - 25 of 414 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Anamaria K

Apr 17, 2017

The teacher is wonderful, the course is very fun and wonderfully structured - I would highly recommend it! It is in itself like a multiplayer game that I enjoyed playing! :) The peer-reviewed assignments were really allowing me to learn by doing and to gradually learn from my and others' mistakes. All together, it was great!

By Wafa' B

Jan 31, 2019

Great course by Mr. Fran and the team at CALARTS. Looking forward to complete this program!

By Shanna S

Feb 04, 2019

This was my first course on COURSERA and first course about game design. It has really opened my mind to many characteristics of game design. It a super helpful course if your starting in game design(which I am!). You'll have the opportunity to review others and be reviewed, which is very important! The feedback I got really helped me to go forward, and reviewing others gave me the opportunity to see many different designs and ways to build game mechanics. It's very great.

By Charlotte H

Dec 14, 2018

Great content, perfect level for beginners with a wide scope that can apply to all sorts of games. The videos are fun, engaging and really worth watching.

By Ng C L

Jan 03, 2019

It teaches very important basics, and has the information you need to help you get start on Game Design. Instructions are also very clear and simple for you to follow through, so even if you don't have a background knowledge, this will be a good starting point.

By Christopher G

Feb 12, 2019

You learn the basic concepts of game designing with interactive and funny week assessments, very useful and enjoyable!

By Liv

Mar 05, 2019

You can tell a lot of love was put into this course. Tons of fun. Really informative and entertaining videos!

By Non A

Mar 08, 2019

Great course!

By sugam m

Mar 19, 2019

Good start to understand the game mechanics. Thanks

By Махаури Х М

Mar 27, 2019

I liked this course a lot. Thank you for letting me study the GameDesign!

By Quentin H

Dec 06, 2018

Great course

By Juan C L R

Apr 04, 2019

It is an excellent introduction to be a game designer

By Garrett R W

Apr 08, 2019

I really feel like I gained a lot from this course. The concepts are simple when you think about it, but the point is that we don't often think about these foundations. I am really happy to have taken this course, and I think it set me up well for the rest of the specialization.

By Alexander G

Feb 13, 2016

Very good course. Learned new information that proved to be useful regarding game design and also designed a board game to play with colleagues at the office. If you want to learn game design this is a great and easy way to start.

By Angelo B

Feb 02, 2016

A very good experience, but if it could've helped me to find a job it would have been even better.

By Ilya S

Oct 14, 2015

It's real cool and useful!

Thanks a lot Fran and your fluffy friend too!

By Timothy O

Sep 17, 2017

I loved this class - though as my first exposure to critiquing it was a bit of a shock.

By 彭芊

Aug 18, 2016

讲得真好,第一次理清了游戏设计的环节,之前的上的课都是理论偏多实际作用很少,这门课很切实际,很棒!!!!

By Edgar D B R

Dec 28, 2016

A great course that introducts you to game design in a fun way.

By Guilherme d S R

Oct 17, 2015

It goes direct to very basic and fundamentally important aspects of game design. Will make you ponder (and exercise) everything in a simple and meaningful way. Recommended!

By Muhammad U

Oct 17, 2015

Really Awesome course to take a Start in Game Designing. Very easy English and Visual effect with Character in teaching really increase understanding.

By Aaditya R

Dec 25, 2015

I love this Course!

By Wagner d S A

Jun 05, 2017

The course is very funny and objective in the understanding of the Game Design fundamentals and concepts. Apart of that, the week lessons help the peers to keep track of the course and keep focused. The very basic way to design a simple game will turn you into a deep adventure and pleasant journey to the goal over the time.

By Marcin G

Oct 04, 2017

Clean, funny, entertaining, very educative. What do we need more? :-) Thank you Fran Krause for this course!

By Gabriel G H

Jun 06, 2016

Very interesting and funny.