Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN

Apr 13, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG

Feb 13, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

51 - 75 of 524 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Ng C L

Jan 03, 2019

It teaches very important basics, and has the information you need to help you get start on Game Design. Instructions are also very clear and simple for you to follow through, so even if you don't have a background knowledge, this will be a good starting point.

By Marcus J

Jul 08, 2020

The course as a whole is fantastic. Information is easy to understand, and presented in engaging, humorous fashion. The idea of taking a single project and building on it across the different assignments suits the realm of game design and creation perfectly.

By Laureana S

Jun 07, 2020

I had a really fun time learning the introductory concepts to game design. The videos were easy to follow and very informative. The assignments each week built off each other well, and I feel like I ended the course with a final product I was very proud of.

By Jad M

Nov 28, 2016

This course was my first one on this website and I can say that it was a really great start. A very engaging and fruitful course that brings back to you the positive stress and excitement of the college phase.

I recommend it to everyone; even for doctors (:

By Chloe C

Feb 15, 2016

I loved how this course built on the same assignment every week, so I ended up with a really fleshed out game idea by the end of the four weeks. Also, the peer feedback was useful and pushed me to be clear about my game rules, which was definitely a task.

By Tania A

Nov 16, 2015

Even if simple (it's an introduction, after all), the contents are well structured and I appreciate how the assignments can derive from the previous one and peers' feedback. It's satisfying to see the initial idea evolve into something more developed.

By Ivan G

Nov 08, 2015

I really enjoyed taking the Introduction to Game Design course. Looking each week how other follow student's (including mine own) game designs was inspiring. A lot of creativity boost through simple ideas. Doesn't require any special/advanced skills.

By Madison T

Dec 01, 2016

This course was an excellent intro to games from the artistic point of view. I was looking for a course that could teach me the fundamentals of what a game should have to be good and this one was spot on.

My plan is to finish all five Calart courses!

By Maribel

Jul 31, 2020

¡Me encantaron las clases! Son divertidas, te enseñan y te explorar tu creatividad. Utilicé además los conocimientos para transladarlos a la evaluación de varias soluciones de otros proyectos y me encantó la experiencia.

By Gerick T

Jul 23, 2020

Como lo dice el titulo, es un curso introductorio, pero bastante profundo en los conceptos que presenta en cada modulo. Muy recomendado si estas empezando en la industria de videojuegos, o por si deseas repasar principios básicos del Game Design.

By Isac d V O

Mar 02, 2016

This is a superb course for those interested in starting with game design - or just knowing more about games. The teacher is fantastic and the teacher's assistant is... well... as fun as a muppet. Hats off to CalArts, Cousera and Fran Krause!

By Marina Z

Jul 31, 2016

I wasn't really interested in basic concepts of game design, but couldn't stop watching videos until the very end of the course! Blue pal is awesome! Also, I was glad that the assignments are open even for those who don't pay for course

By Alexander G

Feb 13, 2016

Very good course. Learned new information that proved to be useful regarding game design and also designed a board game to play with colleagues at the office. If you want to learn game design this is a great and easy way to start.

By Molly H

Jun 21, 2020

I like the homework part very much, which makes me constantly recall what I have learned in the course. Besides, every homework is a good experience for me, I spend a lot of time on it, and I pay great attention to it every time.

By Diego G

Jun 01, 2020

It was a really fun and educational experience. Improving the game from the simplest possible one player game to a narrative driven multiplayer experience week by week gave a lot of insight and practical challenges to learn from.

By Xavier E

Apr 02, 2020

Brilliant course ! It goes straight to the point, and the videos are super fun ! I've progressed a lot in my game design comprehension ! Thanks "Calarts" and HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE thanks to Fran Krause for this wonderful course !

By Samuel S

Nov 08, 2015

Great introductory course! Everything is very well explained and you really feel how your project develops through the week. I expected it to be a bit more technical and less theoretical, but everything is still very well made

By Varun N

Jun 13, 2020

The short, brief videos that explain the basics of game design in a very informative and humorous way made this course an absolute joy to learn. The fun assignments and extremely supportive peers made the course even better.

By Sarah P

Sep 27, 2015

I have been really enjoying this course! The professor is engaging in the videos and he explains things well. I also really like the assignments and the games are fun to make and review. I am learning a lot from this course!

By Матюшенко У А

Apr 19, 2020

Это было полезно и познавательно. Подача материала очень простая, но при этом я узнала много новых вещей о геймдизайне. Программирование в курсе не нужно! Вы просто знакомитесь с азами создания механики игры, ее нарратива.

By Aripov L

Sep 10, 2016

Only just pass, but I was very interested in since the first week! Fun and cute teacher and his puppet assistant! Everything taught is easy, with the mind and can quite understand even to those who don't know English.

By Sofia A M

Nov 16, 2016

The course is incredibly well done, the video lessons are great, the teacher is very good and the students are participative. The only thing that got a bit behind was a deepening, although the tasks were laborious.

By Daniel J C

Dec 04, 2015

I enjoyed the teacher. He made the class interesting. He introduced interesting concepts and made them enjoyable for the class. The class made me dabble in art which something I wish I could do more. Thank you!

By Thomas D

Oct 09, 2015

Good course, gets you thinking about the important things in Games - why we play them in the first place. Great teacher - mad as a hat! Kept things jovial and fun with good explanations in a professional course

By Xin P

Jan 04, 2016

Interesting course! Game design is a pretty important idea for my major and this course give me further insights into the topic and I get to know more about how to design a better game for my target audience!