Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

101 - 125 of 416 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By David M

May 14, 2018

Entertaining, brings one's creativity out.

By Gabriel V

Sep 10, 2017

Awesome

By Dolapo A

Oct 09, 2017

Excellent course.

Fran is such a good teacher. He addressed all my previous concerns regarding game design and explained the fundamental features in easy to approach and direct ways.

By Mohamed N

May 03, 2018

Best course for aspiring gamer designers!!

By Davide M

May 22, 2018

Really complete!

By Rehanna L

May 03, 2016

This course was fun and informative, with many lessons demonstrating the concepts being relied.

By Xavior T

Nov 05, 2015

really liked it

By Danilo P

Mar 30, 2016

Excelente curso para aprender a crear video juegos.

By jhonatan g r t

Aug 22, 2016

las reglas y elaborar un juego de mesa, nunca imagine que esa era la manera de sacar la esencia de un juego antes de ir a la tecnología, gracias.

By Lin J

Mar 20, 2016

Very good course and the lecturer video is well made and interesting!

By André H K

Nov 30, 2016

Great course! Useful information, great introduction. The videos are fun and really help with the process of creating a game step by step.

By Raul C

Oct 14, 2015

Great Course, great professor, great videos and very very good content.

Eve if you're not a beginner you should do this course to refresh your knowledge.

By Samuel S

Nov 08, 2015

Great introductory course! Everything is very well explained and you really feel how your project develops through the week. I expected it to be a bit more technical and less theoretical, but everything is still very well made

By joshua m

Oct 27, 2015

entertaining

By Valery

Sep 14, 2016

Teacher is great

By Irvin O

Mar 09, 2016

Excellent course, for easy understanding and concise.

By Xindi H

Feb 06, 2016

It's fun.

By Muhammad A

Jul 31, 2017

Amazing teacher, amazing content, it's so so much good

By 张维

Sep 02, 2016

funny and useful!

By Kim S

Feb 22, 2016

Fun and Meaningful

By Christopher S

Mar 01, 2016

This course was a great start on the road to game design. The material was delivered in a fun and easy to understand manner. In the end, I was extremely excited and proud of the simple game I made. I would highly recommend this course as a starter for anyone looking to get into game design!

By Rodrigo G d C

Dec 24, 2015

Great content, nice way to get a basic notion of what it takes to creat a game, nice classes and method of learning,

By Shiran I

Feb 07, 2016

I must admit that the thing that appealed to me foremost was the joy and humor that were used during the lessons. This made each lesson fun to watch.

By Andrea R

Dec 12, 2016

I really liked that course! You should think about it as an introduction class, otherwise you will be really disappointed with its content. Speaking for my academic experience, I already know how to program a game, but I never had the chance to study the Game Design field. This course forced me to use a creatively thinking process to focus on some important aspects, like rules, multiplayer, and more.

Do not take this class if: you are looking for academic resources, books references, lot of theory to study.

Take this class if: you are looking for some challenges, with motivational contents, that can push you to express yourself with your own force and skills!

Videos are also very fun to follow! I think that Frank is an awesome teacher, with great communication skills.

By Brook

Jan 10, 2016

Captivating, clear, simple and informative. The professor does a phenomenal job introducing what makes a game fun.