Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

101 - 125 of 571 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Antonio P B

Oct 21, 2020

I really love this course, the videos are very engaging and very fun to watch, you learn a lot. It really inspires you you to be better, even you know where you can improved.

By Alejandro M G M

Sep 18, 2017

I loved it. It is a very fun and entertaining way to introduce people to the world of video game design. It is fun but at the same time you learn a lot. Thank you very much.

By M L W

Oct 16, 2016

Best of the bunch so far. I wish the others went deeper into the concepts explored here. You immediately apply what you learn to your own ideas and produce something/a game.

By Pragya J

Jul 28, 2020

Amazing teacher, everything was so easy and understandable and i loved every task and assignment. Would love to work in future with the teacher. He was amazing at teaching.

By Guilherme d S R

Oct 16, 2015

It goes direct to very basic and fundamentally important aspects of game design. Will make you ponder (and exercise) everything in a simple and meaningful way. Recommended!

By Taciane M

Aug 7, 2019

I learned a lot of cool and interesting concepts. The teacher passes the contents of the course in a very clear and simple way, and the peer-reviewing always helps a lot!

By Sarah-Louise H

Feb 7, 2017

Very good introductory course. Nice little assignments to complete. My peers were supportive and encouraging with their feedback. Would definitely recommend this course!

By Bojan P

Dec 22, 2015

Great course for beginners in game design, I feel that I learned a lot here, and what is maybe more important, gain big desire to continue learning about creating games.

By Regina P

The course really breaks down designing a game into the basics. It's easy to understand the lessons and the assignments allow you to truly incorporate what you learned.

By Gonzalez V E

es fantástico para ser el primero de la especialización en cada vídeo aprendías algo nuevo, me encanto como llevaron las clases a través de un juego de mesa, brillante

By Linda A

Apr 22, 2020

This course is very useful because you can practice creating a simple but functioning game! Also the lessons are very funny and interesting and the teacher is adorable!

By Gerardo D

May 9, 2020

The instructor is excellent. His videos are creative and well thought out. The concepts where very well explained and leaves you craving for more. Great introduction.

By Herris

Apr 5, 2018

这真的是一个很棒的课程。视频制作得很棒,作业也安排得很合理。四周的时间,从基本的概念开始一点一点的完成一个游戏,感觉真是很棒。推荐给和我一样想要尝试游戏设计,但不知道从何下手的朋友。大家一定要认真完成作业,这门课程的效果非常依赖于你的作业。只要完成每周指定的任务就好,不用试着在作业里放下太多的东西(实际上这也会给你的同学造成麻烦)

By Liza D

Mar 9, 2016

Engaging material, and the assignments and the way in which they built on each other were really ingenious. An impressive way to teach game design without any coding!

By Shelagh R

Feb 4, 2020

A great course, very good instructional videos, all ideas and terms are conveyed with great detail and respect for the learner. Good interaction with other students.

By Rike J

Aug 1, 2020

Wonderful! The lectrues are fun and informative, the homework is selected to introduce the students step by step to first simple game designs. Thank you very much!

By Anthony S

Jul 3, 2016

I love this course. I love the videos and the assignments. I want to go to Cal Arts and actually take a real course. I would recommend anyone to take this course.

By Kim N D R

Jun 14, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. The instructor was entertaining. I never really thought about the technicalities of designing a game so this was really insightful.

By Michal S

Jun 30, 2020

All 4 weeks were huge fun, sometimes it felt like playing instead of learning, but still I learn a lot from this field, which i think was a goal of this course.

By Alex L L C

Oct 9, 2015

I really into dive directly into the programming aspect of games but this course is teaching me a lot in a really interesting and funny way! Well done, Thanks!

By sean o

Jun 25, 2017

Excellent course. I learned a lot about the fundamentals of game design. The assignments were fun and helpful. The material was presented in an engaging way.

By Vesna S

Aug 14, 2016

I really liked how the course was organised and it was actually really fun and enjoyable, making the learning process all the more easier. Fran is awesome :)

By Grace M

Feb 15, 2016

This course was very fun to take part in, the videos were enjoyable to watch, and the weekly projects were very fun to not only create, but to also critique.

By Jaime K

Oct 23, 2017

This course was very fun and challenging. The instruction and assignments were very clearly communicated. I had a great time learning and evolving my ideas!

By Alan S

May 13, 2016

Bastante interessante para pessoas que tem uma certa noção com jogos. O professor tem bastante habilidade em passar a informação e tem exercícios práticos.