Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

26 - 50 of 584 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Bianca M

Oct 3, 2020

I liked the content that was provided and I enjoyed the assigments! I think that some improvements could be implemented in the Review Homework system, as it is quite common to receive some unhelpful feedback from our peers... I think there should be a way to validate a feedback. Many people just write things like: "nothing" or "..." and so on. Also, I think that it would be nice to have a wider variety of examples of games in classes. It would help to clarify some topics.

By Ethan A

Sep 16, 2019

I really enjoyed the course. The instructor knows what he is talking about, and he leaves you room to be creative. Game design is all about being creative, it is like any art. I believe the instructor can not physically tell someone how to be creative, it is something that is within us all. I am grateful to have had the oppotunity to go through with this course and create some table top games as a basis for game design. Excited for the future of this course.

By Ana R M B

Aug 24, 2018

I found the course to be very well structured and interesting; it was very exciting to learn all the basics of game design. The teacher was very engaging and the homework, while basic enough for beginners, was challenging enough to keep things interesting. My only suggestion is, if possible, also have a teacher grading our projects and not just peers. As much as valuable and important peer feedback is, I think it doesn't replace an expert's evaluation.

By Denisse M L M

Oct 5, 2017

Very good material, visually and content wise. It could have had more content to make it denser, but I guess it has enough to be an introduction course. What I enjoyed the most were the assignments. Having to think how to implement what the video lectures explained was a good challenge. But above all, receiving peer reviews to improve on the ideas, and also trying out the games of other peers is the best part of the learning experience, in my opinion.

By Ashley K

Jan 19, 2017

Content is great, the exercises are thought provoking, and I actually made a pretty decent game at the end. The only shame is that enrollment was very, very low when I took it. I hope that the next time the course is offered Coursera/CalArts advertises it more, share it more on social media, and really garner interest in it. It's a good course and many people would be interested in it if they knew it existed.

By Bee K

Jul 20, 2020

Overall the presentation of course materials was excellent, and I feel like I learned a lot through both the video lectures and the peer-reviewed projects. My one caveat is that occasionally some of the feedback from the peer review was either unhelpful or didn't seem entirely fair, but that's a general fault with the nature of being graded through peer review and not the course itself.

By Lilia P

Jun 1, 2020

This is such a fun course, first of all! All of the lessons and assignments were really clear, and it's such a great beginning step towards game design as a whole. Everything was easy to understand, and really fun to work on! Fran is a fantastic teacher and I highly recommend this course if you want to get into some form of game design/development but you may not be sure where to start.

By Zakhar Z

Oct 8, 2020

It was a nice course since I'm a complete beginner. Although certain things may seem like obvious, for a person who is only starting off altogether, there are interesting thoughts in the course. I liked the homework. It depends on the person: if you're a complete beginner and you take things seriously, you can complete this class in two weeks and gain knowledge from it.

By Nicole R

Aug 17, 2016

It was a well presented course that was easy to follow but offered a lot of information. It helped me put my gaming activities and plans to get into the industry into context. I thoroughly enjoyed the assignments and making a paper based game for my peers to review. I highly recommend taking this course. The use of the puppet was an inspired and well chosen addition.

By Norman J

Feb 5, 2017

I enjoyed the course, I learned a lot about rule development, difficulty evaluation, along with other elements in game design. The peer feedback was important. As someone who designs games, input from your potential customer base is crucial. They definitely helped me design a better game. I could see the improvement from the first week to the last week. Thank you.

By Virginia M

Oct 24, 2015

Well structured lessons and basics concepts to learn. The course is absolutely accessible for everyone and all the concepts and words are perfectly explained with a lot of examples. Also mention that the spoken English is quite easy to understand, thanks to a good pronunciation and excellent pacing. In any case, you can enable the subs if you need them.

By Sitara A B

Apr 8, 2017

Having done this course has given me a better understanding of why games work and how they relate to the different platforms they are designed for. The coursework is limited to a paper based game, which has different dynamics from a video game, but it gave me the practice of evaluating my own work with a lot more clarity than I had before.

By Jenny F

Jun 3, 2016

This course helped me a lot understanding the basics of Game Design! Definately good if you are interested in building a basic Game Design knowledge. I'm going for the specialization so I'm excited to keep learning more as I am currently working at a Game company but not in the Game teams... I would love to join them someday :D

By Wagner d S A

Jun 5, 2017

The course is very funny and objective in the understanding of the Game Design fundamentals and concepts. Apart of that, the week lessons help the peers to keep track of the course and keep focused. The very basic way to design a simple game will turn you into a deep adventure and pleasant journey to the goal over the time.

By Alexandra

Oct 7, 2015

The course is amazing. No, wait, probably I would say THE TEACHER is AMAZING! I loved the way he explains the material, I love the music and graphical part, the jokes. I am very grateful for the CALARTS to share their knowledge with the rest of the world and can't wait to start the next course from the specialization!

By Mohamed S

Sep 22, 2020

Honestly I had so much incredible fun with this class. It felt more like being taken on a journey than taking a course. The presentation feels like it has personality and the barometer that is giving to us in our assignments helps us better understand what needs to be focused on while still giving us liberties.

By Tushar L

Aug 16, 2020

This course covers very basics and foundation of designing a game. The principles and guidelines to design a simple board game are discussed. I would highly recommend to a my colleagues to learn the course. I would like to pay my thanks to instructor Fran Krause, a wonderful teacher. Thank you sir.

By Philipp v S

Jan 27, 2017

This introduction to Game Design was exceptional! The teacher is great and manages to keep the course light and still deliver the necessary knowledge. In this course you learn the basics about games, what they are, what rules are, what characters are etc. For me it was just the perfect start.

By omar a

Aug 12, 2020

As an indie self-learned game developer I say this course is certainly the best for beginners because I have learnt a lot about game design and how to achieve the balance in my game also in this course one can learn how to accept people opinions "feedbacks" whatever that feedback says ✪ ω ✪

By Christopher S

Feb 29, 2016

This course was a great start on the road to game design. The material was delivered in a fun and easy to understand manner. In the end, I was extremely excited and proud of the simple game I made. I would highly recommend this course as a starter for anyone looking to get into game design!

By Lindsay-Anne G

Jan 2, 2016

A LOT of fun, light hearted look into the beginnings of making games of all kinds. This course focuses on starting making games with board games, but the things you learn in this course apply to video games as well. Fran is engaging and made the video segments fun to explain concepts.

By grace c

Dec 26, 2016

fun to follow along with the lectures, which I usually have a hard time with, I have difficulty concentrating, and this was easy to focus on for the most part. Very interesting, and creative instructor, and makes the lessons easy to understand, and not too technologically demanding

By Hawra F A

Aug 25, 2020

Yup! Lives up to its name - an introduction to game design :)

The instructor is fun and a good teacher, and the lessons are short and to-the-point too!

The cameraman would sometimes steal the show, but the instructor could always get it back with direct and to-the-point lessons :D

By Garrett R W

Apr 8, 2019

I really feel like I gained a lot from this course. The concepts are simple when you think about it, but the point is that we don't often think about these foundations. I am really happy to have taken this course, and I think it set me up well for the rest of the specialization.

By Ankush S

Sep 17, 2018

The entire course was a fun filled learning time spent making something on your own from scratch.

Some might find the reviews by other peers harsh on your grades, but trust me, without some useful comments and critics, you are not going to make a fun and successful game anyway.