Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

176 - 200 of 620 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Renato C

Jun 18, 2020

Great course, even though it is an introductory course, it teaches in a simple way important concepts for game development.

By Ana G V F

May 6, 2020

A great course that lets you get the basics of game design and development! I really learned a lot and I really enjoyed it!

By Mathew J

Jan 23, 2016

I really liked this course.The lecture was really interesting and its the first time i felt like the

assignments was fun.

By Maria C

Nov 3, 2015

I love the way Fran managed to fulfill his lections with a theory. It was very simple and very informative at the same time

Sep 16, 2015

Fran is a great teacher and he blends fun teaching and jokes with genuinely interesting and helpful game design techniques.

By Alara E

Aug 31, 2020

I loved the instructor and the requirements of each week's submissions. I really enjoyed being part of the course. Thanks!

By Andre K

This course was fun & was simple to learn. The instructor is very informative while making the content enjoyable to watch.

By Emily V R

Aug 6, 2017

Fran is one of the best teachers I've ever had! Thanks for making this a fun and easy to understand introductory course!

By yanggan

May 10, 2017

Excellent course. Basic and interesting

中国谚语:『万丈高楼平地起』(As the Chinese words: every skyscraper is built from the ground)

By Christopher G

Feb 12, 2019

You learn the basic concepts of game designing with interactive and funny week assessments, very useful and enjoyable!

By Nuno F A C

Sep 3, 2017

Very good course, explaining the basics and going deep on some stuff. Understood everything and learned a lot. Thanks!

By Gloria B

Oct 30, 2020

Very interesting! I really appreciate the opportunity! I hope this course will help me a lot in my carrer. Thank you!

By Conrad B L

Jun 8, 2020

Really great course covering the basics of Game Design! Highly recommend to anyone new to the developing video games.

By Mikel D B

Apr 5, 2016

So far this course has been great, the lecturer is awesome and the videos are short enough to make you stay focused.

By Rodrigo G d C

Dec 24, 2015

Great content, nice way to get a basic notion of what it takes to creat a game, nice classes and method of learning,

By Andi A

Aug 6, 2020

Very interesting basic learning materials. Easy to understand and I think the scope of the materials are on point.

By Sonja M

Jul 3, 2017

This course was a really good introduction to the world of Game design and I really enjoyed the video lessons too!

By Yee I

Aug 22, 2016

It is a great start to understanding some of the basics of Game Design. And Fran's videos are always fun to watch.

By Brook

Jan 9, 2016

Captivating, clear, simple and informative. The professor does a phenomenal job introducing what makes a game fun.

Oct 19, 2015

The course is helpful as a game designer in trainee, the community is friendly, and the assignments are fun to do.

By Shiloh K

Aug 8, 2020

This course provides a practical understanding of crafting a simple game, and is enjoyable to try out and learn.

By 王浩宇

Nov 27, 2016

To learn your most favorite major is the best thing in the world, tanks for teach me what I most need in my life

By Lucas Y

Sep 17, 2020

interesting and thought-provoking course for beginner, thanks to all the stuff who made this course, best luck!

By Alejandra " S

Jul 13, 2016

Amazing course! The teaches as well as the staff have managed to put together a fun and rich course. Well done!

By Sarah L

Nov 14, 2015

While it may seem basic to begin with, I found it a great course to lay the foundations for my own game design.