Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

176 - 200 of 415 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Philipp v S

Jan 27, 2017

This introduction to Game Design was exceptional! The teacher is great and manages to keep the course light and still deliver the necessary knowledge. In this course you learn the basics about games, what they are, what rules are, what characters are etc. For me it was just the perfect start.

By Yoás S R G

Oct 21, 2015

The videos are short, concrete, simple, with clear examples and even funny. As a whole i think the class offers lots of things to learn and think.

By Dimitri B

Apr 19, 2016

To my mind, this course is the perfect way to begin to understand Game Design. The learning-by-doing method is very efficient!

By Bojan P

Dec 22, 2015

Great course for beginners in game design, I feel that I learned a lot here, and what is maybe more important, gain big desire to continue learning about creating games.

By Vesna S

Aug 14, 2016

I really liked how the course was organised and it was actually really fun and enjoyable, making the learning process all the more easier. Fran is awesome :)

By Jenny F

Jun 03, 2016

This course helped me a lot understanding the basics of Game Design! Definately good if you are interested in building a basic Game Design knowledge. I'm going for the specialization so I'm excited to keep learning more as I am currently working at a Game company but not in the Game teams... I would love to join them someday :D

By marco

Apr 05, 2017

the teacher is really good

By 孙佳燕

Apr 25, 2016

VERY NICE lesson

By An Q

Feb 20, 2018

Great start for a game maker!

By Petros K

Nov 08, 2015

I enjoyed the course:)

By Abhayjeet S

May 26, 2017

This is a well designed and easy to grasp course

By Pedro A

Aug 07, 2016

This was a very enlightening course! I have played some games through my life, but now I have the knowledge of a person who studies to the develop my own game. I'll recommend it to all my friends.

By Karavayeva A

Feb 12, 2016

A great course more about practice which is the most important!

By Mikael L G

Jul 02, 2016

Probably the best course I've studied at Coursera. Fran Krause makes this little trip incredibly enjoyable and fun yet still keeping it very educative and challenging.

Really loved this course!

By José D A

Jan 21, 2016

Great course and available for students all levels.

By Nadja C

Dec 07, 2015

Great course to give you a bit of an insight into game design and get you ready for the next courses.

By Bilge K

Nov 28, 2015

By Kelly

Feb 14, 2016

This was a great course! Well put-together in terms of material, well made in terms of video quality (editing, etc.), and well laid out in terms of pacing. The homework assignments were fun and pushed you every week to change something about your simple paper game. A+

By adrien o

Nov 15, 2016

Excellent material and fun course.

By Alexandros I

Jun 11, 2016

The whole process was fun and challenging. I really liked the approach!

By Zheng L

Jun 22, 2018

a good course to motivate you to design game without need to know programming and arts

By Nicole R

Aug 17, 2016

It was a well presented course that was easy to follow but offered a lot of information. It helped me put my gaming activities and plans to get into the industry into context. I thoroughly enjoyed the assignments and making a paper based game for my peers to review. I highly recommend taking this course. The use of the puppet was an inspired and well chosen addition.

By Guilherme S S S

Dec 06, 2016

Really nice

By Rodrigo G d C

Dec 24, 2015

Great content, nice way to get a basic notion of what it takes to creat a game, nice classes and method of learning,

By Andrea R

Dec 12, 2016

I really liked that course! You should think about it as an introduction class, otherwise you will be really disappointed with its content. Speaking for my academic experience, I already know how to program a game, but I never had the chance to study the Game Design field. This course forced me to use a creatively thinking process to focus on some important aspects, like rules, multiplayer, and more.

Do not take this class if: you are looking for academic resources, books references, lot of theory to study.

Take this class if: you are looking for some challenges, with motivational contents, that can push you to express yourself with your own force and skills!

Videos are also very fun to follow! I think that Frank is an awesome teacher, with great communication skills.