Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

126 - 150 of 416 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Dimitar V

Jan 21, 2016

This course made me see the basics of Game Design and what i need to know while designing my game for a single player or multiplayer. Good Job!

By Tata D

Jan 25, 2016

a wonderful teaching! Im so sad that cant study offline at this place with so interesting people

By Moisés P

Sep 10, 2016

Great course, I have learned a lot and is really useful for references.

By 김수미

Feb 29, 2016

Fun and meaningful

By Gianna K

Feb 20, 2016

This class was so much fun. It really taught me a lot about the basic fundamentals of game design and I learned so much from it in a fun and easy way.

By レヷブレート サ

May 14, 2016

very engaging, 5 out of 5

By Madison T

Dec 01, 2016

This course was an excellent intro to games from the artistic point of view. I was looking for a course that could teach me the fundamentals of what a game should have to be good and this one was spot on.

My plan is to finish all five Calart courses!

By Vikas V

Jun 26, 2016

Nicely explained course. Very helpful. Thank you, Coursera!

By Eli Y

Sep 05, 2016

Tnx I realy liked the puppet:)

By Pieter S

Apr 04, 2017

Engaging and interesting! This is by far the best online course that I've ever done!

By Victor A O S

Mar 10, 2017

this course is amazing the teacher is cool , funny and he explains the class in a really cool way with puppets and stuff and i learnd a lot and the best part of all is that it was fun

By Chris Y

Jul 13, 2017

Very strong foundation as an introductory course to any Game Design Class.

By Mustafa T

Jan 12, 2018

A great base to build upon.

By José D A

Jan 21, 2016

Great course and available for students all levels.

By Nadja C

Dec 07, 2015

Great course to give you a bit of an insight into game design and get you ready for the next courses.

By Bilge K

Nov 28, 2015

By Bojan P

Dec 22, 2015

Great course for beginners in game design, I feel that I learned a lot here, and what is maybe more important, gain big desire to continue learning about creating games.

By Vesna S

Aug 14, 2016

I really liked how the course was organised and it was actually really fun and enjoyable, making the learning process all the more easier. Fran is awesome :)

By Jenny F

Jun 03, 2016

This course helped me a lot understanding the basics of Game Design! Definately good if you are interested in building a basic Game Design knowledge. I'm going for the specialization so I'm excited to keep learning more as I am currently working at a Game company but not in the Game teams... I would love to join them someday :D

By marco

Apr 05, 2017

the teacher is really good

By 孙佳燕

Apr 25, 2016

VERY NICE lesson

By Bill C

Sep 16, 2015

Fran is a great teacher and he blends fun teaching and jokes with genuinely interesting and helpful game design techniques.

By An Q

Feb 20, 2018

Great start for a game maker!

By Petros K

Nov 08, 2015

I enjoyed the course:)

By Felipe S L

Dec 04, 2015

Really nice course, including the hands-on exercises!