Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

201 - 225 of 416 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Natalia K

Dec 29, 2016

Very informative and well-structured. Easy-to follow and enjoyable :)

By Bartosz G

Nov 01, 2015

it was great. THX U

By Jessica C

Oct 19, 2016

This is a fun and well done introductory course. The peer reviewed assignments are a great feature -very insightful comments and suggestions!

By Amanda W

Mar 22, 2016

Great introduction to game design. I love that it was very practical, and invited you to create

By Roshni F

Feb 24, 2017

This course is going to teach you techniques on how your Video Games can become popular,can reach a wide audience.It will also talk to you about the importance of Documentation.

By Zachary M

Nov 03, 2016

Best course available!

By 盛成成

Oct 15, 2017

nice

By Chomoi P

Jan 28, 2018

I found this challenging week one, but by the end I was flying. This course is brilliant and entertaining. You will really learn. A tip I found is submit your assignment early to get really helpful peer feedback. I wish I'd known that at the beginning. Good luck!

By Emily V R

Aug 06, 2017

Fran is one of the best teachers I've ever had! Thanks for making this a fun and easy to understand introductory course!

By Damanpreet S L

Jul 02, 2016

It was extremely helpful in giving the basic idea of creating a video game

By Justin D

Nov 10, 2016

Awesome the teacher is funny and it's easy! Even if you don't know programming this will help you. it shows you the basic structures and how to make your own game!! It's Great!

By 王浩宇

Nov 27, 2016

To learn your most favorite major is the best thing in the world, tanks for teach me what I most need in my life

By Sudharsan

Aug 05, 2017

I love this course best introduction and good lectures

By Derek C

Jul 27, 2017

Well crafted and hight entertainment educational.

By Vikas V

Jun 26, 2016

Nicely explained course. Very helpful. Thank you, Coursera!

By Eli Y

Sep 05, 2016

Tnx I realy liked the puppet:)

By Pieter S

Apr 04, 2017

Engaging and interesting! This is by far the best online course that I've ever done!

By Mustafa T

Jan 12, 2018

A great base to build upon.

By Davide M

May 22, 2018

Really complete!

By Alex M

Nov 03, 2016

Good teacher. You get a the best out of the course by taking the assignments seriously.

By Daniel F F C

Jun 16, 2018

Superb :3

By Jad M

Nov 28, 2016

This course was my first one on this website and I can say that it was a really great start. A very engaging and fruitful course that brings back to you the positive stress and excitement of the college phase.

I recommend it to everyone; even for doctors (:

By Brian L

May 25, 2017

It is a good intro to what it takes to design an actual game. The course isn't challenging and is fun.

By Sudipta K D

Nov 08, 2017

Very Useful!

By Jaime K

Oct 23, 2017

This course was very fun and challenging. The instruction and assignments were very clearly communicated. I had a great time learning and evolving my ideas!