Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

BJ

Dec 28, 2018

the content is awesome. i would recommend it to those who need to have some basic knowledge of GIS. it's very easy to learn the ArcGIS because of the instructions and demos given by the instructor.

JS

Feb 21, 2019

I learned a lot from this course. The emphasis is on learning how to use the software so you can start working quickly. I highly recommend doing all the optional assignments in the textbook.

1 - 25 of 738 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

By Mezbah u B

Aug 02, 2016

It is a great course for both the beginner and the professionals in GIS . Very friendly and easy language for the people who don't understand English much ...Satisfied in doing this course.

By Kevin F

Dec 22, 2018

Well developed course, everything leads you up to a final assignment that helps test what you've learned and gives you a great general idea of some of the cool things you can do with ArcGIS.

By Jan S

Feb 21, 2019

By Ya-Yin Y

Mar 06, 2019

Very helpful course for an absolute GIS beginner. It provides some of the most important concept and information for me to get some sense of the operating of the system and getting used to the software. The assignments and final project definitely helped me gain some hands-on experiences of how GIS workd practically. Highly recommend for anyone who would like to learn GIS!

By D P W

Sep 05, 2018

Great course for fundamentals of GIS. Online format makes it easy to review lectures and go back to them and pause step by step if needed; assignments are clear and well designed to give you instruction and practice on skills. I last worked on ArcMap about 10 years ago and the good part here was that I was able to review and see that the basic skills and tools have not changed much, and it's a great refresher course, and I look forward to seeing the new advanced tools that are available!

By Brandito M Q J

Dec 28, 2018

By SHREYA O

Jul 13, 2019

Great Course to brush up your skills on ArcGIS. Its a beginner course so even if you are not familiar with the software you can easily cope up. Explanation by Dr. Nicholas Santos was crisp and to the point. He made the course seems like a cake walk. Thank You to the coursera team for the noble initiative of opening barriers to education from top notch institutions to people across the world.

-SHREYA OJHA

By Young S S

Feb 25, 2019

This is my first exposure to ArcGIS. Mr. Nick Santo explained various concepts and skills very nicely, which was incredibly helpful when I was doing my final project. Since there were so many precedures that I needed to follow in order to conduct specific tasks, I sometimes had to go back to his videos and re-watched them to have better guidance, but that helped me finish the project on time. By getting involved in the project, I felt that I learned a lot. Before doing the project, it appeared that the information and procedures were all scattered here and there on my part, but with the project, I could finally put those together and synthesize them. It was a great learning experience for me. Thank you so much for offering this valuable course!!!

By Lindsey T

Feb 15, 2019

This course taught me what I needed to know to start exploring my spatial data. This course starts at the very beginning and is great for fully developing a foundation for future courses but also provides enough content to get started with.

By Shane N

Feb 20, 2017

I should have never paid for this course. By the time I got into the subject the refund policy was expired. Do not take pay for this course or program at all.

By Su l

Jan 10, 2017

not very well organized.

By Brian S

Jan 16, 2019

Easy to follow and understand.

By Joshua S

Jan 17, 2019

Great course!

By Büşra Ç

Jan 31, 2019

This course is a perfect beginning of GIS

By Carolina P P M

Feb 01, 2019

Perfect, the assigments complements perfect

By Mark G

Feb 01, 2019

Nick Santos lectures were clear, assignment instructions also helpful. The project was a tremendous learning experience.

By Tâmara J

Feb 03, 2019

I totally recommend!! This course is amazing!

By Mamoon M

Feb 03, 2019

This course helped me in better understand the very basics of GIS.

By Andrew K

Feb 04, 2019

Great Course to get into GIS

By Turki F A

Jan 22, 2019

The course was very helpful for me

By Osmar C T

Jan 22, 2019

excellent and interesting

By Lauren B

Jan 23, 2019

awesome! very informative and well paced. The teaching style was really descriptive. and reinforced the material. I learned a lot! Can't wait for the next course.

By Michael L E

Dec 30, 2018

A great introduction to the purpose and use of GIS.

By James W

Dec 31, 2018

The peer graded section in the first section are a little sketchy but everyone has to learn to advance in the course

By Brian T M

Dec 30, 2018

Very informative and made me understand GIS a lot better.