Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

A
May 16, 2021

GREAT COURSE TO JUMPSTART FOR ANY NEW LEARNERS IN THE FIELD OF GIS. It is extremely helpful to learn the basics & the projects help any new learners to understand what kind of work is done in ArcGIS.

VM
Oct 4, 2020

I finished the course, I do not know why it indicates to me as if I had not finished\n\nI would like answer, please. My email: vic_vmrm@hotmail.com\n\nWhy don't answer me?\n\nRegards\n\nVictor Ramon

101 - 125 of 1,446 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

By Kimberly G

Jan 9, 2021

Instructor is fabulous. Very easy to listen to and informative. I learned a lot in 4 weeks. I was not a fan of the peer review process in regards to my project. I had all of the required elements and it was evident that one reviewer must not have even looked at my assignment. The other made a mistake in his review and looked at the wrong thing part for his grading, this is frustrating when you know you did everything correctly. It worked out, however.

By Nikita N

May 6, 2016

This course stands true to its name. It covers all fundamental concepts of GIS and helps one become familiar with the software used by GIS specialists. The step by step instructions make the course very easy to follow. I was a little intimidated by the course content because long distance learning can be difficult as I do not have a GIS oriented study group of sorts and am now proud of the fact that I challenged myself with the course as it's just great! :)

By Jenevra W

Jan 4, 2019

I previously had some GIS experience, but it was two years ago and I hadn't used it since. This course was a perfect way of remembering what I learned while adding new skills. I loved the ability to go at my own pace and really think about why certain things worked the way they did. I would highly recommend to anyone who wants a GIS refresher. For people who have never used GIS it may be a little more difficult, but I still think it's completely do-able.

By Angela M M

Apr 12, 2021

Well designed course with relevant homework and a challenging (but fair) final project/assignment. The instructor does a good job adding in real world relevance, and informing the students about potential pitfalls or challenges with respect to the data. I appreciate that he also made it clear that there isn't necessarily one "right" way to do things, and that there are going to be multiple approaches that could work to solve geospatial problems.

By Latonya W

Jul 20, 2018

I absolutely enjoyed this course. Provided me with the essential knowledge and skills needed to perform basic GIS tasks. The Syllabus is easy to follow and exercises are concise with pertinent details, tips and tricks. There was a whole lot of information made available to participants, not only for this course, but what you can apply in all of your GIS tasks. I encourage everyone to take this course-you have nothing to lose, but lots to gain!

By Sumer R

Apr 9, 2019

I completed this course a couple of months prior to beginning my Masters Degree in Marine and Coastal Management. My degree relied heavily on GIS, with roughly a semester dedicated primarily to the software. This course was a great introduction and gave me pre-requisite understanding of some basic tools and the software interface in general. Highly recommended for beginners, especially if you plan on pursuing a degree which incorporates GIS.

By April H

Dec 26, 2017

This course provides an excellent overview of GIS for beginners, building a solid theoretical foundation from which to work and continue learning. The instructor walks through basic concepts from the beginning in a way that anyone can understand. The course assignments are very helpful practice in using the skills covered. The course focuses primarily on ArcGIS, but some of the material is useful regardless of the computer application used.

By Kareem_Essayyed_Ali

Aug 11, 2017

it was really very very interesting course i enjoyed it

thanks to : the primary instructor of this course : Nick Santos

thanks to the outstanding team of dedicated educators at UC Davis Extension including:

Instructional Designers and Project Managers: Jennifer Kremer, Dan Comins, Andy Roy, and Jeff LouxVideo Production: Kristen Hoard, Joe Najera, Adi Maldonado, and Dominick Porras

Thanks as well to Esri for their support of this course.

By Zach L

Jun 1, 2017

This course was outstanding. Nick does an excellent job of breaking down the key elements of ArcGIS into easily digestible lectures as well as applying those elements in exercises and quizzes. There truly is no experience necessary before jumping in. If you work in a field that currently uses GIS or could, this course and specialization is right for you - and likely a better use of money than getting a degree or certificate in GIS.

By Ricardo O C

Mar 30, 2021

During my master studies, I had a course where we had to use ArcGIS but it was very problematic to understand the software due to the structure of the learning program. This course is completely the opposite. The lectures are very clear, and the theory behind each operation is given. The exercises are simple and help one put into practice the newly gained skills. I recommend this course to everyone go wants to learn about GIS.

By Xenia R

Apr 14, 2020

This course was an excellent introduction to Esri's ArcGIS! I really liked the format it followed, where there were video tutorials followed by forum discussions, quizzes, and practice assignments, which prepared me well for the final assignment. The professor was able to clearly and simply explain concepts, and provided lots of helpful examples. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to begin learning GIS!

By J P

Nov 21, 2020

I'm getting started in the world of GIS. My profession, for that last 10-15 years, has been librarianship. I found this course both well designed and a very good orientation for the beginning student of GIS. The method of delivery and the instruction via the lecture was very helpful. The evaluations were useful in building GIS skills and fair. Being introduced to ArcGIS by ESRI was very helpful to the novice. Great course!

By Kaylyn H

Jan 8, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. Some of the videos seem a bit above the introductory level but they are not what you are tested on. I use GIS for work and this was a great explanation of the basics of ArcGIS; they provide additional resources for how to solve problems on your own. The final peer review assignment was a fun way to test your knowledge of GIS and get to see how others in the class interpreted the data as well.

By Saili P

Apr 13, 2017

This course was extremely useful for me to kick start learning about GIS and software. It has clearly laid our syllabus and neatly made videos which help overcome inhibitions about technical nitty grittties.. The course has instilled confidence in me to continue further studying various aspects of GIS. I enjoyed doing my assignments too. I highly recommend this course to any one who deals in spatial aspects in their work.

By Konstantinos L

May 24, 2021

This course is very well structured and extremely well organized. Professor Nick Santos managed to create an A level introductory course . The basic concepts are given in a very practical way, making you confident about the things you learned. Undoubtedly I've learned much more things compared to the knowledge I gained at my College course. Definitely I am going to continue to the rest of the specialization's courses.

By Jason W

Nov 25, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this class! Nick Santos does a fantastic job of breaking down the core concepts and making them easy to understand while at the same time showing you how to jump right in and start learning by doing. I'm hooked! At this point, all the other things in my life (job, family, dog, sleeping, eating etc.) are just annoyances that are getting in the way of me being able to learn more in these courses.

By Kevin C

Dec 31, 2017

my only problem with this course is the use of Arc GIS.I have been able to download it or parts of it and I'm not sure which, but I can't get a license to work even the temporary one so I can't do the work. And frankly I don't have any intention of using the Arc GIS when I am done I intend using integrated program that I can use within Adobe's CAD system. So I really don't want to have to buy a full copy of Arc GIS

By Christopher B J

Apr 7, 2020

This was my first introduction to GIS and I really enjoyed how this course provided a comprehensive and hands-on overview of the topic. The content of the course is very well structured and the different lessons nicely build upon each other. All the necessary information to successfully complete the assignments were readily available. The lecturer's excitement for GIS was truly infectious! Can only recommend!

By Nadine Y

Jul 27, 2020

I've taken GIS tutorials before, both free and paid, but they have never really stuck. This course answered a lot of my questions about the behind-the-scenes pieces of GIS that were really tripping me up. Like, what do these files mean, how do I open this, why is this map that used to open now having problems? Nick's explanations of how ArcMap "thinks" really filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge. 5 stars

By Colby N

Oct 21, 2016

Great course! The instructor is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic and makes the material relatable to many different fields. The assignments closely align with the material and are at the appropriate difficulty level with good walkthroughs to get you started. And the final project was also appropriate for the scope of the course - very doable but took a little bit of tinkering and experimentation.

By Andrew Y

Apr 27, 2020

Very helpful course in getting my hands on GIS as someone who has never touched GIS before. Nick's videos are always very clear and concise. The practice projects with step-by-step instructions were very helpful, and I appreciate how the peer-reviewed project really allowed me to make sure I could apply the skills from this course. Looking forward to the other courses in this specialization.

By Ardi V

Nov 24, 2019

I have been browsing the internet so hard for a good course about GIS until I suddenly came across Coursera. I have never been so amazed with how everything was well-organized and well-thought. Thank you so much to the team, especially to Nick Santos for putting up such great effort for such great course. I am looking forward to taking the next few courses to complete the specialization.

By Nadine L

Nov 3, 2020

This course was a lot more challenging than I anticipated, but in a good way. I enrolled because I wanted to challenge myself with something more technical/mathematical than the biological/nature-based approach that I'm used to in my work. I wasn't disappointed, and I'm happy to have learned a lot. I plan to take the other courses so I can widen the scope of my future research projects.

By Shiva S M

Apr 24, 2020

Everything was perfectly explained by Mr. Nick and I feel really confident about ArcGIS after finishing this course and I feel the assignments were perfect for my understanding of the topic in hand at the end of each module. The peer review really helped me understand the other ways through which I could do my final assignments and showed me my faults through other pupils assignments

By Jerson A

Jan 8, 2019

Excelente curso, con un dictado claro y bastante preciso de los conceptos y herramientas de análisis de los sistemas de información georeferenciados (GIS) en el software ArcGis, invito a la comunidad latinoamericana a iniciar el curso no requiere de un profundo dominio del idioma ingles para aprender y desarrollar los trabajos, basta con un conocimiento a nivel intermedio del ingles.