Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

DV

Nov 12, 2015

I am very satisfied with this course. It really helped me to improve my writing skills, and I am feeling more confident than I used to be.\n\nAfter this course, I am planning to take up the next one.

KG

Dec 26, 2016

This is a very useful course even if you are very good in English . This course helps in understanding the type of sentences, proper usage of commas and perfect ways of writing attractive paragraphs.

2151 - 2175 of 2,185 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

By Ravi K

Jan 19, 2016

it is very nice course, and improve my english writting style

By sinem

Jul 14, 2019

The exercices didn't work ,and I could not do them

By Xin J

Jul 15, 2019

Too simple.

By Uday K

Aug 08, 2019

Good videos on grammar and punctuation but not much on writing.

By Elisa F

Aug 19, 2018

I believe this course might be helpful for English learners who have not yet grasped more specific areas of the language (such as different types of sentences) and for natives who haven't had much writing advice throughout their lives. I did learn new things, but they were often presented in a monotone and vague way, with few exercises and a weak approach. Moreover, the editing of the videos was outdated, which, as shallow as it may sound, contributed to my disengagement with this course.

There were, however, useful tips and rules I was not aware of, mostly because I tend to apply my native language's punctuation practices to English. Those were certainly a delight to learn, and I'm happy to have had access to it. Even so, I still believe most of it could have been taught more quickly through articles than a whole university-level course.

By Christian S B

Jul 25, 2018

None of the practice exercises worked.

By Carlos A S J G

Mar 14, 2016

In fact the course is fantastic. I'd say that is perfect, but it is not because requires payment to be assessment in the activities.

By Rodrigo S

Jan 18, 2016

Poor visual communications, it should be better since it is the only way to follow the course.

Should be nice if the slides counted with a kind of animation to enphatize what we are talking about.

By Maxim

Dec 18, 2016

Very good course! All explanations are clear and too powerful for understanding.

Two stars because all tests you can submit if purchase certificate.

By Minhaz I K

Nov 18, 2016

It was a good course. But it doesn't worth the money. Paying $69 is just too much for this elementary course.

By Feraydoon N

Oct 24, 2016

satisfactory

By Mohamed J

Mar 12, 2016

good

By Alexandra C D

Feb 05, 2016

I think it is really necessary to establish better the target auditory for this course. The students with very basic level of English have to study with advanced non-native speakers and with natives. The exercises can be too challenging for the first category, sometimes boring for the second and absolutely superfluous for the third.

By Pier P P

Dec 18, 2015

Contents are interesting and useful, even if the course deals with few topics. I think it is too expensive! A good grammar book is cheaper and more complete.

I would not enroll this course anymore.

By Xuejing L

Jul 06, 2016

The class itself is quite good. However you can not submit the Module Quiz without purchasing the certificate, which is quite annoying.

By deng x

Jan 25, 2016

Great and free.

By Yuliia M

May 18, 2017

Extremely boring and not really useful

By Katie D

Jan 17, 2016

This course is pretty basic. As far as grammar goes, it really only covers tenses and parallel agreement. I'm also pretty there is more to punctuation than the semicolon and the comma, although I didn't realize how complicated comma placement could be!

The professor talks like she's on tranquilizers and it's difficult to do peer reviews when 90% of the class apparently doesn't speak English as their first language.

I learned some things, but this course should really be called "How and when to use a comma". Would anyone really pay money for this?

By Софья А С

Jun 24, 2019

The theoretical part is good, but a lot of exercises just haven't opened. I don't feel like I've had enough practice.

By Vic B

Sep 22, 2018

This course has been very frustrating. I have posted but have not received any peer reviews. I am auditing the course so I don't expect a certificate, but to not be able to have quizzes marked is annoying.

Now in week 3 I am expected to change my online viewing platform part way through the course. These annoyances are such that I am withdrawing from this course and will look to another source for this information.

I have really enjoyed Coursera programs that I have taken in the past, so I hope this course is anomaly and not the norm for other courses.

By Kerie

Sep 14, 2016

Really disappointed you have to pay to be able to do the quizzes. I thought the whole point of Coursera is to enhance our skills for free and chose to pay for a certificate if we wanted to.

By Sergio D C R

Nov 30, 2015

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

ORKMORFA

By Timofey

Mar 09, 2016

A very weak course, gives very little knowledge of grammar, doesn't really explain quite a lot of things. If you are a first year primary school student, this course might be helpful, otherwise a complete waste of time.

By Thandava L

Oct 09, 2015

It most be more effective

By Igor K