Back to Grammar and Punctuation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Grammar and Punctuation by University of California, Irvine

Course 1: Grammar and Punctuation Do you need to review English grammar? Have you forgotten the grammar you once studied? If so, this course is perfect for you. The first course in this specialization is a refresher on some tools needed for good writing. It will help prepare you for the other courses. You will need about 10 hours to complete this first course. Writing is a skill and to learn a skill well, you need to practice. In this course, you will watch short video lectures and then practice and discuss what you have learned. Make sure you take good notes and use the peer discussions to ask questions. Then you'll be able to remember the rules you learn in this course when you start writing essays in the next course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - identify the correct verb tenses to use - use commas effectively - utilize several different sentence types - write more effectively in English Please note that the free version of this class gives you access to all of the instructional videos and handouts. The peer feedback and quizzes are only available in the paid version....

DV

Nov 12, 2015

I am very satisfied with this course. It really helped me to improve my writing skills, and I am feeling more confident than I used to be.\n\nAfter this course, I am planning to take up the next one.

AA

Jul 07, 2019

A very useful course, specially designed for those who either forgot the grammar or did not study English grammar properly in the journey of learning English. It is a path way to good writing skills.

2226 - 2250 of 2,274 Reviews for Grammar and Punctuation

By Ashish

Sep 27, 2015

Short course.

Please add more content to it.

By Xuelai W

Sep 23, 2016

Kind of... too basic?

By Julia M

Aug 15, 2016

It was a good start, but I wish the assignments were a little bit harder.

By Caroline

Oct 01, 2015

good way to go back to the basics

By Jocelyn A

Nov 24, 2015

The videos are really boring, however the course is good.

Dec 29, 2017

Short course but well organize.

By Kateryna H

Sep 04, 2016

too simple(

By Mandeep K

Nov 09, 2015

I had a good time learning new things which are generally not told in your academics.

Thanks to UCI for offering it. Best wishes.

By Erika W

Mar 20, 2016

Some of the lessons aren't clear enough to follow

By Ravi K

Jan 19, 2016

it is very nice course, and improve my english writting style

By Uday K

Aug 08, 2019

Good videos on grammar and punctuation but not much on writing.

By Kolesnik A

Aug 28, 2019

It provides essential information neither about punctuation nor about grammar. I would say it is too superficial. Advanced learners will not gain new knowledge.

By sinem

Jul 14, 2019

The exercices didn't work ,and I could not do them

By Xin J

Jul 15, 2019

Too simple.

By Sophie B J

Sep 08, 2019

It was alright. Thought I would learn more than that, but I'm very thankful for learning about comma structure and so on.

By Elisa F

Aug 19, 2018

I believe this course might be helpful for English learners who have not yet grasped more specific areas of the language (such as different types of sentences) and for natives who haven't had much writing advice throughout their lives. I did learn new things, but they were often presented in a monotone and vague way, with few exercises and a weak approach. Moreover, the editing of the videos was outdated, which, as shallow as it may sound, contributed to my disengagement with this course.

There were, however, useful tips and rules I was not aware of, mostly because I tend to apply my native language's punctuation practices to English. Those were certainly a delight to learn, and I'm happy to have had access to it. Even so, I still believe most of it could have been taught more quickly through articles than a whole university-level course.

By Rodrigo S

Jan 18, 2016

Poor visual communications, it should be better since it is the only way to follow the course.

Should be nice if the slides counted with a kind of animation to enphatize what we are talking about.

By Carlos A S J G

Mar 14, 2016

In fact the course is fantastic. I'd say that is perfect, but it is not because requires payment to be assessment in the activities.

By Maxim

Dec 18, 2016

Very good course! All explanations are clear and too powerful for understanding.

Two stars because all tests you can submit if purchase certificate.

By Xuejing L

Jul 06, 2016

The class itself is quite good. However you can not submit the Module Quiz without purchasing the certificate, which is quite annoying.

By Pier P P

Dec 18, 2015

Contents are interesting and useful, even if the course deals with few topics. I think it is too expensive! A good grammar book is cheaper and more complete.

I would not enroll this course anymore.

By deng x

Jan 25, 2016

Great and free.

By Yuliia M

May 18, 2017

Extremely boring and not really useful

By Minhaz I K

Nov 18, 2016

It was a good course. But it doesn't worth the money. Paying $69 is just too much for this elementary course.

By Alexandra C D

Feb 05, 2016

I think it is really necessary to establish better the target auditory for this course. The students with very basic level of English have to study with advanced non-native speakers and with natives. The exercises can be too challenging for the first category, sometimes boring for the second and absolutely superfluous for the third.