Back to History of Rock, Part One

Learner Reviews & Feedback for History of Rock, Part One by University of Rochester

This course, part 1 of a 2-course sequence, examines the history of rock, primarily as it unfolded in the United States, from the days before rock (pre-1955) to the end of the 1960s. This course covers the music of Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Phil Spector, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and many more artists, with an emphasis both on cultural context and on the music itself. We will also explore how developments in the music business and in technology helped shape the ways in which styles developed. Rock emerged in the mid 1950s as a blending of mainstream pop, rhythm and blues, and country and western--styles that previously had remained relatively separate. This new style became the music of the emerging youth culture and was often associated with teen rebellion. We will follow the story of how this rowdy first wave of rock and roll (1955-59) was tamed in the early 60s but came roaring back with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and then went psychedelic by the end of the decade....

BL
Mar 12, 2018

Provided insight into what I was listening to as a pre-teen. I didn't have the exposure to some of the older roots or the an understanding of the business forces that shaped the music I had access to.

SM
Oct 1, 2016

This course has really helped to fill out my piecemeal understanding of the development of rock music. The pace and content of learning has been well considered and Prof Covach is to be congratulated.

26 - 50 of 264 Reviews for History of Rock, Part One

By SHEILA E

I THINK THIS IS A BRILLIANT COURSE. HOWEVER I DO THINK THE TIME ALLOCATED TO COMPLETING THIS IS NOT QUITE RIGHT. IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THE COURSE PROPERLY, YOU NEED NOT ONLY TO LISTEN TO THE VIDEOS. ARGUABLY YOU ALSO NEED TO READ THE TRANSCRIPTS. AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO THE MUSIC. THAT WILL TAKE A LOT MORE THAN THE TIME SUGGESTED IN THE COURSE OUTLINE.

By James S

Aug 11, 2015

As a 6-8 music teacher teaching music appreciation to 7th and 8th grade students, this class helps fill in some of the gaps music educators face when it comes to the history of popular music - or supplement it. I was fortunate to have such a course available at my university, but only in the summer. I would encourage all secondary music teachers to take both of these courses.

By Νefeli P

Nov 16, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and learned a lot about the evolution of music in general. One can learn how and why the whole rock culture began to formulate. I tried listening to the most albums and songs that Mr Covach suggested and I am very happy with his choices. I also learned a lot of good music too. Thank you Mr Covach! Looking forward to Part 2!

By Adithya P

Jul 25, 2019

This is a very informative and well outlined course highlighting the US music industry's history from the 1900s to end of 1960s. I also really liked the way in which John Covach narrated the whole course - you can really glimpse the fondness which he has for the music of the 60s! Thanks a lot to Coursera and John Covach for such a brilliant course.

By Javier F

Jan 17, 2016

Excellent course, I highly reccomend it! Passionate John Covach makes it very thrilling and you really learn a lot. Do not expect an easy course, in the way that you have to take notes during the lessons - and even better, you have to take the aid of Youtube and/or Spotify or similars to really take advantage of the course. It takes time.

By Anisiya A

Nov 10, 2020

Fantastic course! Loved the teacher, and how all the information is structured. Just great. Going for the part II. The only thing, I wish the Civil Rights movement and other issues of the 60s were mentioned in more details, but maybe it will be mentioned in the part II? We'll see. Anyhow I'm tremendously happy I took this course.

By Lester P

Aug 11, 2015

All of Dr. John Covach's courses are exceedingly clearly presented and History of Rock, Part One is no exception. This course requires no musical skill, just a cusriosity to learn about the development of rock music from an American perspective yet including British developments from 1900 until 1969.

By Dana C

Jun 5, 2017

One of the most comprehensive, and most fun, classes on contemporary music EVER!! I took John's Beatles class and he broke down the music theory as well as the social effects of music on our culture. It was very stimulating and challenging! I enjoyed it so much I registered for Part II!!

By french b

Apr 15, 2017

Thanks a lot for my best experience so far with a MOOC course. I'm taking the course from Germany and got a lot of information on the cultural background, which help me enjoying my music collection even more. A must do course for anyone interested in music and/or 20th century culture.

By kate m

Jul 29, 2019

My first Coursera class and it was so good! The class was interesting and enjoyable. The information was presented in a logical progression that made it easy to understand. The instructor is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the material. making the lectures even better.

By Sergi

Dec 16, 2015

Definitely, the widest and the most exciting course I've ever seen. It's so impressive how friendly and thoughtful John is, clearly understandable and accurate in details (especially for me as non-native speaker), which make this course above any ratings. Thank you a lot, John!

By anam

Aug 19, 2015

If you always have been insterested in rock music you must do this course. In Mr.Covach lectures, you can find out in a dinamic fun way artirts that you never have noticed before and also see what´s behind of big hits. So, I encourage you to do both parts of History of Rock!

By Valerie G

Aug 26, 2020

I used this course to do a summer program with my kids based called, The History of Rock. The lectures were so good and easy to understand and the quizzes were no walk in the park, but that made it even more satisfying when I was able to ace the final on the first try!

By JACk

May 28, 2017

Awesome lecturer, very knowledgeable! Bargain-priced experience to receive such massive, interesting information concisely and well threaded! I am not done since the allowance to pace myself truly has allowed me to even do this with my busy career. Ongoing thanks! Jorge

By Karin H

Dec 27, 2015

I really liked how in depth the speaker got. He knew what he was talking about and could clearly express that. One problem I had is I take notes during lectures and he spoke so fast I had a hard taking any. Besides this it was an awesome class that I totally enjoyed.

By Janice J C

Jul 22, 2020

Thank you very much, Professor John Covach! This is one of the most enjoyable classes I have taken in Coursera. I can see your passion for the lessons and I learned a lot. I hope that I will be able to attend the second part of this course. I wish you all the best!

By Neloufer P

Sep 10, 2017

I enjoyed the whole course, from start to finish. As a life-long fan of music, I already had most of the pieces of the puzzle, but this course helped but it all together and illuminate a few areas I had not explored before. I can't wait to delve into Part II!

By Michal K

Nov 9, 2015

I have learned so much about the history of Rock from this course.I would recommend this course to anyone who loves rock music and would like to know more about it. John Covach is an excellent teacher and I can't wait to start Part 2 of The History of Rock!

By AnaCrash

Oct 23, 2015

LOVE the course! The teacher is so great! Just makes it interesting to listen and follow the course...the way he teaches is not boring at all! Cant wait to continue the course and go further to part 2! So happy I found this! Life makes sense again :))

By Loren E K

Dec 21, 2017

This was a fantastic course that goes in to great detail about the history of popular music in North America, and later England. Also, it was easy to see the professor's love of music in general by his expressions and the way he talked. A+ class.

By Alessandro P

Dec 17, 2015

If rock music is a big share in your life, or if you wonder why rock culture is so massively around us take this course!

It' s very informative and never boring, and may even get you out your "fan mentality" and broad your musical horizons :)

By Manfred K

Sep 12, 2016

Excellent course. To get the most out of it, I recommend to download the transcripts of the video lectures and then add (YouTube) links to the pieces mentioned in the lecture. Time consuming, but you get a much deeper learning experience.

By Cameron F

May 17, 2019

Fantastic Course. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the lectures and both discovered a lot of new music and learned why certain albums and artists where so influential. The teacher is really engaging and has great recommendations and stories.

By Daniel D

Mar 21, 2017

I got to learn so much. So many new bands and artists I had never heard of. The course was also useful w.r.t putting all the music I listen to into context, looking at larger themes and how they fit and evolve into each other.