Back to History of Rock, Part One

Learner Reviews & Feedback for History of Rock, Part One by University of Rochester

This course, part 1 of a 2-course sequence, examines the history of rock, primarily as it unfolded in the United States, from the days before rock (pre-1955) to the end of the 1960s. This course covers the music of Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Phil Spector, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and many more artists, with an emphasis both on cultural context and on the music itself. We will also explore how developments in the music business and in technology helped shape the ways in which styles developed. Rock emerged in the mid 1950s as a blending of mainstream pop, rhythm and blues, and country and western--styles that previously had remained relatively separate. This new style became the music of the emerging youth culture and was often associated with teen rebellion. We will follow the story of how this rowdy first wave of rock and roll (1955-59) was tamed in the early 60s but came roaring back with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and then went psychedelic by the end of the decade....

SM
Oct 1, 2016

This course has really helped to fill out my piecemeal understanding of the development of rock music. The pace and content of learning has been well considered and Prof Covach is to be congratulated.

BL
Mar 12, 2018

Provided insight into what I was listening to as a pre-teen. I didn't have the exposure to some of the older roots or the an understanding of the business forces that shaped the music I had access to.

76 - 100 of 264 Reviews for History of Rock, Part One

By Jean P G C

Jul 5, 2020

Genial curso.... Mucha información y permite madurar gracias a los conocimientos del profesor Sr. Covach sobre la genesis del género y su desarrollo inicial.

By Manuel F C S

Apr 23, 2020

It was an interesting course. English is not my first language but I can assure I undertood the teacher all the time. I can't wait to check out the part two.

By Gary K

Feb 2, 2016

Must know for anyone that is interested in where all (most) current/popular music stems from. Explains origins of most American/European music genres.

By Nazarov R

Feb 14, 2019

Interesting material and great tutor indeed. Definitely the course is worth time spent and it is for everyone who’s interested in rock music history.

By Denis M

Jul 15, 2017

Great course, great teacher! It's very important to know all these things if you want to understand the origins of rock and rock and roll music!

By Marcelo P H

Aug 24, 2020

There are a lot of things that I've learned about my favorite music! Thanks for all the knowledge that you share. I'll see you again in part 2.

By Maria C

Aug 29, 2015

This course was EXCELLENT! It held my interest the entire time, exposed me to so much music I had not yet heard, and I am excited to take Part

By Lee-Adele S

Mar 26, 2020

This was a fabulous course! I've always loved music and this course surpassed my expectations! I'm looking forward to embarking on Part Two!

By Ray W

Aug 16, 2018

These two courses we're very fun compared to most.They we're very informative but important for anyone working in the music business.thanks

By Grandom F B R

Nov 13, 2019

Es un curso bastante completo, interesante e innovador, me gustaría que realizarán un curso especial donde se aborde la cultural del Metal

By Shahr S

Aug 16, 2015

The course I always loved to take! Thank you Coursera and Rochester University for giving people the opportunity to take this course.

By Gustavo N S

Jul 30, 2019

I really enjoyed with this course, It was very informative, interesting and a great source of information about rock and roll music.

By Anuj P N L

Apr 4, 2019

It was an awesome experience of Learning history of Rock. Thank You Prof. John Covach. I learnt a lot of stuff from your Videos.

By Carolina A V S

Aug 18, 2018

El mejor curso sobre la historia del rock. Excelente profesor, detalles e información, entretenido, buenos ejemplos musicales.

By Henry J A T

Jan 12, 2016

Great course! Great instructor!, thanks a lot to John Covach and to the University Of Rochester, for this pleasant experience!.

By Panagiotis K

Aug 9, 2020

Well-organised, not boring at all. Dr. Covach is great in transmitting his knowledge. I am looking forward to the second part!

By Nicholas S

This was a fantastic course! I can't wait for Part 2! If you are considering taking this course, I would highly recommend it.

By Ramiro M F

Jan 4, 2017

Sheds a lot of light on this fascinating subject! Highly recommendable, amusing talks and nice quizzes. A defintely must-try.

By John C P

Jun 7, 2020

Me encantó, aprendí mucho de de un tema que siempre me interesó. Lo recomiendo para todos aquellos que le encanta la música.

By Ryan M

Jan 11, 2017

Not finished, but great the way he explains the origins of so much and ties things together. I've already learned so much.

By Bill G

Oct 6, 2015

Great course. Very informative and helps me put together all that was happening during my youth and teen age years. Bravo!

By Garrett F

Jun 7, 2020

What a great course. John is so interesting and knowledgeable. I would love to take a course of his in person one day.

By Alexis M

Jun 23, 2020

Very informative and interesting. Professor is entertaining and incredibly knowledgable. Quizzes are very specific.

By Bida L W

Feb 3, 2020

A wonderful course and some ideas of John Covach was quite personal thoughts, I don’t agree with some answers