Back to History of Rock, Part One

Learner Reviews & Feedback for History of Rock, Part One by University of Rochester

This course, part 1 of a 2-course sequence, examines the history of rock, primarily as it unfolded in the United States, from the days before rock (pre-1955) to the end of the 1960s. This course covers the music of Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Phil Spector, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and many more artists, with an emphasis both on cultural context and on the music itself. We will also explore how developments in the music business and in technology helped shape the ways in which styles developed. Rock emerged in the mid 1950s as a blending of mainstream pop, rhythm and blues, and country and western--styles that previously had remained relatively separate. This new style became the music of the emerging youth culture and was often associated with teen rebellion. We will follow the story of how this rowdy first wave of rock and roll (1955-59) was tamed in the early 60s but came roaring back with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and then went psychedelic by the end of the decade....

BL
Mar 12, 2018

Provided insight into what I was listening to as a pre-teen. I didn't have the exposure to some of the older roots or the an understanding of the business forces that shaped the music I had access to.

SM
Oct 1, 2016

This course has really helped to fill out my piecemeal understanding of the development of rock music. The pace and content of learning has been well considered and Prof Covach is to be congratulated.

251 - 264 of 264 Reviews for History of Rock, Part One

By Mark L

Oct 7, 2015

Good course, but I was disappointed that clips of some of the music weren't played.

By Juanjo R C

May 21, 2018

lástima que no esté en castellano 100%. Me ha parecido muy útil. Muchas gracias

By Dave E

Jan 10, 2020

Buen curso! Muchos datos importantes sintetizados y bien explicados.

By Mark S

Jan 16, 2017

Well done. Lot of material covered. I enjoyed it.

By Garry K

Jul 13, 2017

A lot of great info and it was easy to understand.

By Jade

Sep 8, 2018

Engaging and an overall very informative course.

By Raymond D

Oct 10, 2017

Great course! Well presented. Very informative.

By Adam L

Nov 14, 2016

Good overview of the birth of Rock

By HIMANSHU R

Oct 18, 2016

Very good

By Aimi I

Sep 18, 2015

better than my other courses

By Jean R

Sep 7, 2016

No use for me. No music examples because copyrights did not allow, so the course is pretty boring.

Sorry, not for me.

By Russell P

Apr 13, 2018

Wish I could give negative stars