Back to History of Rock, Part One

Learner Reviews & Feedback for History of Rock, Part One by University of Rochester

This course, part 1 of a 2-course sequence, examines the history of rock, primarily as it unfolded in the United States, from the days before rock (pre-1955) to the end of the 1960s. This course covers the music of Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Phil Spector, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, and many more artists, with an emphasis both on cultural context and on the music itself. We will also explore how developments in the music business and in technology helped shape the ways in which styles developed. Rock emerged in the mid 1950s as a blending of mainstream pop, rhythm and blues, and country and western--styles that previously had remained relatively separate. This new style became the music of the emerging youth culture and was often associated with teen rebellion. We will follow the story of how this rowdy first wave of rock and roll (1955-59) was tamed in the early 60s but came roaring back with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and then went psychedelic by the end of the decade....

BL
Mar 12, 2018

Provided insight into what I was listening to as a pre-teen. I didn't have the exposure to some of the older roots or the an understanding of the business forces that shaped the music I had access to.

SM
Oct 1, 2016

This course has really helped to fill out my piecemeal understanding of the development of rock music. The pace and content of learning has been well considered and Prof Covach is to be congratulated.

51 - 75 of 264 Reviews for History of Rock, Part One

By Linda B

Sep 3, 2017

This course presents a comprehensive history of rock with many compelling examples of music. The instructor is engaging and highly knowledgeable in his field. i enjoyed the class and would definitely recommend it to others.

By Thorsten E

Mar 20, 2020

Very nice course. The lecturer is very passionate about this topic and it is a lot of fun learning about the content from him. The whole course is well structured and the video clips have a convenient length.

Thanks a lot!

By Brian B

Dec 14, 2017

Excellent

this is an excellent course. For a chap of my age, the first weeks were most enjoyable. The latter weeks as we moved into Psychedelia were less interesting. Overall I'm delighted I completed the course at last

By Amin

Sep 11, 2020

I learned things on this course that I had no idea they even existed. This course gave me a new insight of not just rock n' roll music but all sorts of musics played back then. It was inspirational and totally awesome!

By Noushka

Apr 16, 2020

A very nice overview on Rock&Roll until the late 60's, that makes one understand not only the evolution of many kinds of music, but also the way society worked and the effects it had on music, movements, trends...

By Joy S

Jan 12, 2016

An excellent overview of the subject. Ordered the book - found an older edition copy for cheap on an auction site - and found it invaluable on exams. This class is less sleep inducing and more fun than most.

By Michael S

Jul 24, 2017

The professor is terrific! His very broad knowledge of music from classical to rock to jazz to blues adds a great deal to the course. I've enjoyed Part 1 so much that I'm going to go through it a 2nd time.

By Marcia E

Jun 19, 2020

Loved the content and the format and instructor and instructor style. The pace was right and the quizzes were just long enough (I'm auditing). I learned a bunch about the topic and plan to take Part II

By Ximena O D A

Nov 1, 2015

I love professor Covach's lectures. He is passionate about the topic and you learn so much in every single video. I have taken both History of Rock courses and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

By Bruce L

Mar 13, 2018

By Stuart M

Oct 2, 2016

By Phil G

Jan 16, 2017

I found the course to be very interesting. I enjoyed learning about the artists and songwriters that shaped the birth of Rock and Roll and made it into the genre that so many are great fans of.

By 渐晨

Dec 31, 2018

nice!I have learned a lot of knowledge which I did not know before,I really appreciate this lessons and the teacher,John

Covach. During the study period,I also collected many beautiful songs.

By Mary

This is a very comprehensive course. I learned a lot about both the major and lesser-known bands important in the rise of rock music. I am looking forward to taking part two of this course.

By Anna B

Sep 11, 2016

Loved this course so much! Thanks to John for informative and interesting lectures. Higly recommend it to all who love rock and would like to have a structured knowledge about its history.

By Jessica R L A

Jul 27, 2020

The best course about History of Rock, I learned a lot, but the best thing, I understand all because of the teacher, he really knows about the history of Rock. Thank you so much.

By Maria I

Aug 14, 2015

It's a great course, very interesting. I've learned a great deal about the history of rock music and it gave me a new understanding of some of its aspects.Thank you very much.

By Fabian c n m

Aug 15, 2020

Muy bueno aprendi cosas tecnicas y logre apasionarme mas por la música de las raíces, deberian dar un certificado digital al menos para los que n o podemos pagar el original.

By Anna D

Sep 8, 2017

I had a great time learning in the course! The professor did a great job in educating and providing an unbiased history of rock music. I had a lot of fun!! Ready for Pt II!!!

By Celine T

Oct 9, 2016

This is an excellent course that I would highly recommend to any music and history lover. The professor is wonderful and is obviously passionate about the subject matter.

By Shruti D

Sep 12, 2017

Great course! Learnt so much about the culture and music genres such as blues, pop and rock during the 50s-80s. Enjoyed the lessons and music recommendations! Thank you!

By Constance C

Apr 30, 2020

This course was very interesting as well as the nice teacher ! Would recommend if you love music and want to increase your culture. I wish I could do part 2 now !

By Akshay K

Apr 17, 2020

Would highly recommend this course for those interested learning about the roots of Rock and where the great bands of the 60's got their musical influence from.

By Shirley J

Oct 30, 2017

This course has given a good explanation of the inspiration behind Rock, as well as a perfectly understandable explanation of why things were the way they were.

By Kelsei L P B

Apr 3, 2016

I love music and this course changed my life! More than just learn some music that I didn't know about, I learned its evolution through years I have not lived.