Back to How Computers Work

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How Computers Work by University of London

Computers are everywhere, they aren't just the desktops and laptops we use for work but the phones in our pockets and even the watches on our wrists are also computers. You probably use a computer every day and in fact you are reading this on a computer! Just because we use computers all the time, doesn't mean that we understand them, or find them easy to use. Computer Science is the science of computers, it is the field of knowledge that experts use to understand computer systems. Knowing a little computer science will help you understand the computers all around you. This isn't a how-to course for a particular piece of software, instead you will learn some fundamental concepts that you can apply to any software or computer system. You'll apply these concepts to the kind of computer systems we use every day, including word processing applications, e-commerce, the internet and web sites. You will learn how to apply computer science concepts to solve problems in daily computer use and generally be a better computer user. Taking this course could be the start of your career in computer science, and the course is an introduction to the Bachelors in Computer Science from University of London, but it is also for you if you just want to learn a little computer science to help you better understand the computers you use in your ordinary life....

DM

Oct 12, 2019

A great course. Although I have come from a background in website development, I still picked up many useful tips and information about the fundamentals of computers and how they work.

DR

Sep 20, 2019

Very good course as an introduction to computing. Could stand to be more challenging, but the material is certainly easy enough for a true beginner.

1 - 25 of 29 Reviews for How Computers Work

By Sebastijan P

Mar 08, 2019

Terrible video content. Changing background all the time and distracting the viewer, a person mostly saying "what all we have learned" in every video instead of talking about the subject. No diagrams, no flows of data shown etc., just a person speaking and bragging; slides are very purely and unprofessionally prepared. The level of prepared content is for primary school and not for UNI. I could write about it for hours so I will stop. I just hope and believe this is just a sample and not a real content in a real study for which we will be paying 600 pounds. If you compare the content to for example 30 pounds Machine learning from Stanford University, where you get pdfs of slides, complete written notes, detailed prepared pdf with a very rich content for assignments and where professor actually talks about the content, it all becomes a bit strange.

By Keith C

Jan 25, 2019

Excellent overview, with lots of quizzes and assignments designed to help evolve learning into understanding.

By yousuf k

Feb 21, 2019

The course is very informative and helped to build notional machine and abstraction concepts.

By Jonathan M

May 20, 2019

Great introduction to thinking about systems in terms of notional machines

Oct 26, 2018

Nice taster for the degree - can't wait to get started with the full BSc hopefully in April !

By DONGPIN H

Jan 10, 2019

I enjoy the MOOC and would introduce it to my friends. I think the course has revolutionize my previous understanding of Computer and Internet. Thumb Up!

By Hrushikesh T

Mar 07, 2019

Best Computer science course for beginner.

By Jose U d S J

Mar 08, 2019

Very Nice, I really enjoyed and learned a lot!

By Nadine G

Jan 08, 2019

Excellent professor!

By EZABO B

Oct 18, 2018

Exciting lecture

By Preda

Oct 28, 2018

Excellent course. I felt that I learnt a lot of computer science concepts that were new to me but helped me to appreciate how computers work. Dr Marco Gillies was an excellent lecturer. You could tell that a lot of careful planning went into structuring the course. Because the course was so well designed, I do not have recommendations for improvements.

By Kapa A K

May 01, 2019

excellent,but late grades

By KIM M

May 25, 2019

Once you complete this course, you can understand how you use computers as a IT person, even though your first major was not close to IT fields accurately. And if you are office worker and want to learn about IT, this course would be great for you to study basic knowledge.

By Mahmoud H E Y

Jun 27, 2019

A very concise explanation of how a computer works

By Ryan M W

Aug 05, 2019

Great course!!

By Luca G

May 30, 2019

Very interesting course, is an overview complete and well structured.

I would suggest this course as first start to understand the logic used in appications and how computer works for give us the services.

By Hamza M

Jul 06, 2019

Very well thought out and structured lecture, even though I work in IT, I learnt a few new concepts which will be helpful in day to day work.

By Clyde M

Jul 15, 2019

An excellent and accessible course for the layperson that encourages broad understanding of the concepts behind rather complicated aspects of the modern use of computers, as well as the computer itself. A good footing for further investigations into the mechanics and theory of computing.

By Banke O

Sep 10, 2019

I loved the way the instructor explained it. Straight to the point and easy to understand.

By Dustin R

Sep 20, 2019

By Lucio S G

Sep 30, 2019

This is a very fun way to learn at basic concepts for Computer Science which we can apply in our daily life.

Although this is an introductory course, it gives a glimpse of more complex and interesting topics which are key to computers and the way we interact with them.

By Damon M