Back to Interactivity with JavaScript

Interactivity with JavaScript, University of Michigan

About this Course

If you want to take your website to the next level, the ability to incorporate interactivity is a must. But adding some of these types of capabilities requires a stronger programming language than HTML5 or CSS3, and JavaScript can provide just what you need. With just a basic understanding of the language, you can create a page that will react to common events such as page loads, mouse clicks & movements, and even keyboard input. This course will introduce you to the basics of the JavaScript language. We will cover concepts such as variables, looping, functions, and even a little bit about debugging tools. You will understand how the Document Object Model (DOM) is used by JavaScript to identify and modify specific parts of your page. After the course, learners will be able to react to DOM Events and dynamically alter the contents and style of their page. The class will culminate in a final project - the creation of an interactive HTML5 form that accepts and verifies input. This is the third course in the Web Design For Everybody specialization. A basic understanding of HTML and CSS is expected when you enroll in this class. Additional courses focus on enhancing the styling with responsive design and completing a capstone project....

By MM

Feb 07, 2016

I was glad to find a course that focused simply on the basics of Javascript. So many courses cover the three HTML, CSS, and JS, but don't give enough to really start working with Javascrip.\n\nThanks

By LC

Mar 16, 2016

An excellent course, my JavaScript has improved greatly since I completed the requirements. Colleen is a fantastic teacher, I found the lectures to be highly informative and the assignments good fun.

544 Reviews

By Christian Hernandez A.

Mar 13, 2019

Great course!

By Elena Rybynok

Mar 12, 2019

Great course!

By Tirthak Patel

Mar 10, 2019

Great course for students like me!

By Ngassa Jason

Mar 08, 2019

I love this course. I was well taught and evaluated. Am better prepare for front end development thanks to this course.

By Scott Nason

Mar 03, 2019

Great class and great instructor. The peer-reviewed assignments were actually fun, and it was interesting to see how other people coded similar functionality. I feel like I have a foundational knowledge of JavaScript that I can "run with" and continue learning more complex JavaScript in other courses.

By Annie

Feb 27, 2019

Colleen van Lent is a AMAZING instructor. I really wish all Javascript courses were taught by her - the others I have taken are difficult to follow because 1) the instructors are very monotone and seem like they don't even want to be doing this and 2) because they dont go into the logic of things or point out areas where mistakes in logic can happen. Colleen van Lent anticipates what errors are common and warns the learner about them, and she goes into why things happen in your programming and how, explaining things really well instead of just having the learner copy code that they don't understand. I can't be enthusiastic enough about Colleen van Lent's teaching style.

By Muhammad Yassar Farooq

Feb 25, 2019

Its good course to learn the basic of javascript

By Jegadeeswaran

Feb 25, 2019

NIce Course. Please add still more features this is very basic level.

By donaldassie

Feb 23, 2019

it's more important for us.

By Vanessa Danielle Diniz da Silva

Feb 23, 2019

Great course! A must-enroll for those who wanna start learning javascript from scratch!