Back to Machine Design Part I

Machine Design Part I, Georgia Institute of Technology

About this Course

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

By ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

By SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

176 Reviews

By Juan Pinilla Giménez

Feb 14, 2019

It has been very useful to recall this knowledge.

By Syed Rizwanul Haque

Feb 13, 2019

Course content was good but found instructors presence in discussion forum somewhat lacking.Questions asked in the forum remain unanswered more so related to case studies.Coursera certificate design is also sub par with the instructor’s signature barely legible(only artifacts) and no watermark.Would request Georgia Inst. and coursera to at least look into the certificate aspect.

By Priyanka Frances Pereira

Feb 12, 2019

A good technical course!

By Pagadala Balagangadhar

Feb 10, 2019

Very Good Knowledge i got it

By Muhammad Saad Khan

Feb 02, 2019

This course was really great for me. I learned a lot about the basic of Machine design and looking for to contribute in part 2 & 3

By pragyendra bagediya

Feb 01, 2019

This is really a good course for people looking basic design analysis and introduction to machine design. The examples provided are apt and really interesting, like the hip surgery and Boeing airplane testing. The references are great, I have always followed metric units but the course is neutral grounds for people so I did not find any troubles on that part. I believe more courses of this series would be fun to complete. And for everyone looking forward to this course, I would say definitely do it, it would not take much of your time and the skills you would acquire are must for knowledge prospect.

By MANOJKUMAR A

Jan 27, 2019

Course is very useful for intermediate level. People have to know certain basic calculations like bending moment, shear stress, etc. Presenter has good knowledge about materials. Because of that she is clear in communication and making it easy to understand. Course provides a good refreshment about static and fatigue failures. Hope it will be an additional star in everyone's resume.

By Shayan Bhattacharjee

Jan 27, 2019

This according to me was a very well put and organized course teaching from the very basic thereby making our concepts clear and increasing our confidence in Machine Design. I would personally recommend this course to my peers and am eagerly waiting for it's second part.

By Omar Amin Mustafa Omar

Jan 19, 2019

One of the best professors I have ever had. Clear explanations, covering so much in such a short time, very effectively.

By Mohummed Diknash

Jan 08, 2019

impressive teacher i like her teaching method