Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

1 - 25 of 411 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Vivek K

Nov 10, 2016

Enjoyable course, have to apply the fundamentals while solving problems and the instructor given the real world example of the failures and looking waiting for Machine Design part 2 and part 3.

By Prarthita M

Apr 01, 2018

It was a great course. Thoroughly enjoyed it and got to learn a lot.

The case studies really helped in making life easier as it helped to understand the subject better.

Thank you!!

By D S S R

Apr 29, 2020

of course a great course and instructor made it more interesting with her delivery mechanism. thoroughly enjoyed the course. specially design for fatigue/ fluctuating stresses is very interesting . loved the questions given in assignments. well applied to the real world problems. thank you madam...hope to see you again for another course from you....

Regards: Dr. S. Solomon Raj, CBIT, Hyderabad.

By Rahul K C

Jun 18, 2019

One of the best courses for University or college students who want to get knowledge of Machine Design and how to design a mechanical component.

By Zach

Feb 17, 2017

By yuvaraj c

Jun 27, 2020

I have got knowledge about material and design sequences and ther strength and stress and factor of safety and lot of fatigue detail on materials thank you professor madam for telling this course

By Vinay R V

Mar 18, 2018

The professor is good in communicating the concepts. But you may need to go through the text book before you begin the course. The best part about the course is the emphasis on the examples and the real life application of Machine Design principles. The best part of the entire course is the part on fatigue. I have not seen any book that has explained the concept of fatigue so well. The course will be finished with a breeze if you have your Mechanics of Material and Mechanics of rigid bodies in good command

By pragyendra b

Feb 01, 2019

This is really a good course for people looking basic design analysis and introduction to machine design. The examples provided are apt and really interesting, like the hip surgery and Boeing airplane testing. The references are great, I have always followed metric units but the course is neutral grounds for people so I did not find any troubles on that part. I believe more courses of this series would be fun to complete. And for everyone looking forward to this course, I would say definitely do it, it would not take much of your time and the skills you would acquire are must for knowledge prospect.

By Yohanes D

Aug 09, 2020

This course is pretty comprehensive. It runs at appropriate speed and it is manageable for professionals like me who have full-time day jobs. The coverage is quite deep and I do learn a lot from this course. I'll upgrade to earn the certificate and I'm looking forward to Machine Design II and Machine Design III. I'm not sure what will be covered next, but it will be great if Dr. Kathryn can include some materials on traditional components (like bearings, springs etc.) and modern components (like crossed roller ways, linear-motor guides etc.). Thanks so much for the amazing course!

By Jose P C

Oct 28, 2019

Thank you so much Dr. Wingate! It was a great course, I really enjoyed it a lot! I loved your teaching style. Your material was very clear and concise. The concepts, examples and explanations were very clear and I was able of refresh a bunch of important concepts and to learn new ones.

The topic related to Miner's rule was one of the most important for me because surely I will be able to incorporate it to my job. I am so thankful with you for shearing your knowledge by this website.

Hope I can see you later on the Machine Design Part II.

By Niklas W

Jan 09, 2018

It's not a very "heavy" course (I completed it in 5 evenings, spent about 3-6 hrs per week, but I learned most of what's in the course several years ago - I took this mostly as a refresher - your time requirements may vary) but it is very good for what it is. If you have the basic knowledge needed prior to starting the course, e.g. a basic grasp of materials, strength/strain etc, it's a quick way to learn some methods and formulas that will be useful in real life design work. Dr. Wingate does a good job explaining it all.

By Natalia A Q

Jun 24, 2020

Me ha parecido un curso muy interesante y para mí ha sido un reto porque nunca había realizado un curso en inglés. La profesora se ha hecho entender perfectamente en sus explicaciones. Creo que el curso está muy bien estructurado y el material que se aporta viene muy bien para luego preparar las actividades y los exámenes. Además de la transcripción de los videos, que me han servido para comprender todavía mejor cuando sólo al ver el video se me podría escapar algún concepto. Curso excelente!

By Rafay N A

Aug 18, 2017

Amazing course, I learned a lot, my basics in mechanics of materials was honed, and I got to learn new failure theories, static and fatigue. The videos are short and to the point, the worksheets provided are really helpful to fully grasp the new concepts. The case studies brought a really new insight on the "out of the box" thinking. There wasn't a single moment during the lecture where you'll start to think that this is getting boring! I loved it! Waiting for Machine Design II and III.

By mekapatidarshanik

Oct 23, 2018

my sincere and heartful thanks to Dr.Kathryn Wingate and coursera.

MS wingate no one has taught me like you, especially the case studies. if i should give feed back to you it would take more than a page to give my respects and it would be more than 5 star ratings .

by means if you read the comment i would be grateful if you share any research papers or articles or case studies related to machine design and its fields.

my mail id is

"mekapatidarshanik@gmail.com

country: India

By Michael W

Apr 01, 2018

I took this course to fulfill P.E. education requirements. I found that the level of detail and pace was well targeted for a practicing engineer. Without spending significant time on derivations, concepts were explained and reviewed with mathematical rigor such that they could be applied immediately on the job. I'd recommend to any engineer looking for a review of stress analysis which can be practically applied in a short amount of time.

By SHIVAM T

Jul 19, 2017

thank you for this course. Miss Kathryn Wingate ma'am for teaching us and guide us. this course very help me in solving fatigue failure problem and also made me more confident in static as well as in fatigue problem. i personally prefer this course to every mechanical engineer. i am eagerly waiting for MD part 2 and other course from Georgia Tech. i wish Kathryn ma'am will also teach us in future.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

By Syed R H

Feb 13, 2019

Course content was good but found instructors presence in discussion forum somewhat lacking.Questions asked in the forum remain unanswered more so related to case studies.Coursera certificate design is also sub par with the instructor’s signature barely legible(only artifacts) and no watermark.Would request Georgia Inst. and coursera to at least look into the certificate aspect.

By Youssef N

Jun 27, 2020

I extremely recommend this course to all mechanical engineering students, the course is simplified and well-organized. And thanks to Dr. Kathryn Wingate, she organized the course brilliantly and arranged the topics appropriately. I liked the way she linked theory knowledge to practical examples from her abundant experience. I really benefited from this course.

By Hugo E V R

Aug 13, 2020

Un curso excelente de diseño mecánico que sirve adecuadamente como un complemento a clases presenciales. Tiene un bajo nivel de dificultad para estudiantes familiarizados con el tema de teorías de falla, sin embargo, los ejemplos vistos en clase son sencillos y son muy buenos para principiantes y excelentes como re paso para estudiantes veteranos o graduados.

By Nesrine T

Aug 21, 2020

Very well explained and well structured course. Explained with relevant examples and the practicing exercises are pertinent. Although I wish there were indications in the beginning of the quiz about the rounded numbers to use so that the calculi results would be close to the answers. That was the only difficulty I encountered in this course.

By Pulkit S

Nov 05, 2019

An excellent course specially for the mechanical engineering students who wish to pursue their careers in the design field.Very important domain is covered in this course which is very important to know properly when ever an engineer want to design a new component or study any kind of failure in his design. Over all an excellent experience

By Eduardo d M R

Apr 26, 2017

Very good course for beginners. Explanations are short and concise and very clear. Don't know how Part 2 is organized, but I think it would be nice to have also an introduction to CAD/CAE softwares like Inventor or SOLIDWORKS and to solve some of the examples with those softwares so people is aware of the existing numerical possibilities.

By sara s

Dec 11, 2016

dr.kathryn is very professional and she simplify theories to perfectly understanding i become more understanding all f course contents and be more sufficient in machine design

i would to thank the doctor for her explaining

and thank georgia institude of technology for this useful course

By Santiago F H W

Apr 16, 2017

First, I'm really thankful with your for this effort for with us. This course is really interesting, is the first course I finished. I'm mechanical engineering from Perú, I really excited with all these topics, they are great for all engineer. I recommend this course with Doctor K. Wingate, and I know that you enjoy it.