Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

126 - 150 of 422 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Alexander T

Jan 11, 2017

Very good course covering technics that are actually used in aerospace industry. I look forward to seeing the second part.

By Myoung C

Sep 02, 2020

Must have studied course for mechanical engineer. Course material and explanation based on field experience is the best.

By Cristian D A D

Jun 30, 2020

Great course, topics are well explained and examples are simple but help you to understand the concepts. Thanks for all.

By Brian M

Mar 05, 2019

The modules were thourough, well organized, and easy to follow. The professor was very good at explaining the concepts.

By Omar A M O

Jan 19, 2019

One of the best professors I have ever had. Clear explanations, covering so much in such a short time, very effectively.

By Felix V

Mar 13, 2018

Thank You!

Very good explanation, simple, easy to understand specially about the bee on fatique lesson.

Thank you again!

By Marco I

Mar 20, 2017

nice course,

topics are presentend efficiently and stimulating excercises help putting theory in practice in a funny way!

By Saddam I T

Oct 08, 2020

i really enjoyed to learn this machine design course.

thank you so much for providing such an amazing course............

By Balamurugan V

Aug 29, 2020

this is the excellent course every one has to study to gain good knowledge in failures.Thanks to Dr. courser instructor

By Adolfo B

Jul 14, 2020

this course is basic but has all the topics relationated to machine design. besides, the explanation is totally clear .

By HARSH S

Jul 05, 2020

THE COURSE WAS EXCEPTIONAL AND WELL EXPLAINED . WISH TO PERSUE MORE COURSES FROM THIS COURSERA GROUP OF ONLINE COURSES.

By Richard Q

Apr 14, 2020

Very good course, well taught, challenging quizzes to keep you on your toes.

Would definitely be interested in a part 2.

By Ateeb H

Jul 14, 2020

Is a really good course to recapitulate undergraduate courses. The teaching methodology is simple and very effective.

By Willmers I H C

Sep 27, 2020

¡Excelente! La Dr. Wingate explica bastante bien; además el contenido el curso es muy completo para los ungraduated.

By Mohd S K

Apr 29, 2020

Lessons are well organised. Concepts are explained in a very simple way and are backed by good examples to practice.

By Akil M

Nov 03, 2017

Well researched content. Excellent teaching methodology of the course instructor.

Overall great learning experience.

By Enoch S

Oct 29, 2018

I didn't know so much about fatigue analysis but now, I can explain it really well.Great course for machine design!

By Khondaker T H P

Aug 28, 2018

This course really help me to understand MD part-1.

many many thanks mam...

I need to know about machine design 2 mam

By Waseem S

Sep 17, 2020

Great course, would recommend to anyone after doing solid mechanics. Too bad Georgia tech discontinued the series.

By Ajay R Y

Aug 06, 2020

dr wingate was very clear for the concepts in the course and very helpful in delivering the course . i thank mam .

By Franco A

Jun 15, 2017

I appreciate very much the clarity of the explanation and the usefulness of the examples and of the exercizes.

By Mohamed D

Sep 27, 2020

i am very happy to have this course under control of this community and glad to do this thank you very much <3

By Janarrtanan J

Apr 19, 2018

Excellent teaching and use of examples and real-world problems/case studies.

Waiting for the other part 2 and 3

By Kavan S

Mar 23, 2017

Exceptional course material along with an outstanding teacher.. Thank you for an amazing learning experience!

By Gaurav K

Jun 17, 2017

A very good introductory course in Machine Design, interesting with lots of real life example and questions.