Back to Machine Design Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Machine Design Part I by Georgia Institute of Technology

“Machine Design Part I” is the first course in an in-depth three course series of “Machine Design.” The “Machine Design” Coursera series covers fundamental mechanical design topics, such as static and fatigue failure theories, the analysis of shafts, fasteners, and gears, and the design of mechanical systems such as gearboxes. Throughout this series of courses we will examine a number of exciting design case studies, including the material selection of a total hip implant, the design and testing of the wing on the 777 aircraft, and the impact of dynamic loads on the design of an bolted pressure vessel. In this first course, you will learn robust analysis techniques to predict and validate design performance and life. We will start by reviewing critical material properties in design, such as stress, strength, and the coefficient of thermal expansion. We then transition into static failure theories such as von Mises theory, which can be utilized to prevent failure in static loading applications such as the beams in bridges. Finally, we will learn fatigue failure criteria for designs with dynamic loads, such as the input shaft in the transmission of a car....

ZZ

Feb 17, 2017

The course was a concise and effective review of major concepts. The concepts were well explained and the lessons practical. I have a better understanding of fatigue failure as a result of this class.

SG

Jun 12, 2017

Thank you so much. I liked your teaching style.You gave me a clear understanding about each and every topic covered in this course.I enjoyed the learning.Hope we will be in touch for further courses.

151 - 175 of 409 Reviews for Machine Design Part I

By Toukir A C

Mar 17, 2020

Best course with a lot of basic applications of Machine design. But I really want part 2 of this course.

By Noah A G

Apr 07, 2019

It was an absolute joy to learn this course and the practical aspects were very helpful and informative.

By Mostafa A

Mar 19, 2017

Very Good course that concentrates on the key concepts with some case studies that are very interesting.

By CHANDRAMOHAN G

Jun 06, 2020

The course was very interesting and gradually problems were explained from simple to complex problems .

By Kushal P

Apr 15, 2018

Great for brushing up and solidifying the basics of machine design. Waiting for part II of the course.

By Angel M V

Jun 15, 2018

Was a very good course 100% recomendable, Excellent Teacher, with very good knowledge about of Design

By David H B

Nov 16, 2017

Excelent course. Very useful to review the basics of fatigue.

Hopefully Part 2 & 3 will be published.

By Aakash K

Aug 20, 2020

very good course and very much informative as well.I learned many new things through this course.

By Ahmad I

Mar 27, 2019

Very nice introductory course in Machine design, the two case studies chosen is very informative.

By Chirag G

This course is really interesting and good. I have learned so much from this course. Thank you.

By cuiyang

Jan 23, 2017

Really great courses! I studied every module by heart. Looking forward to the following courses

By Rajat G

May 20, 2017

very nice course

all the concepts are explained very well.

example given are very instresting.

By Ishan G

this course is best..... Dr. Kathryn Wingate thought the subject gracefully and beautifully

By Raviranjan S s

Mar 21, 2019

ITS VERY GOOD COURSE AND I GOT OUTSTANDING DEEP KNOWLEDGE OF DESIGN AND MATERIAL PROPERTY.

By Abhishek P

Good preliminary course for understanding Machine design principles and relevant theories.

By Mauro C

Jan 16, 2017

Syllabus very well organized. Professor is completely aware of the subjected being taught.

By Balaji K

Nov 21, 2016

An excellent course. Excited to see the follow-up courses of Machine Design (Part-II, etc)

By Rasika A C

Apr 28, 2020

Great course! Really liked Dr. Wingate's teaching style. Looking forward to doing part 2!

By Jeong S H

Jul 05, 2018

Very good machine design course to summarize what we have learned in our undergraduate!

By Pedro G

Feb 23, 2018

Excellent course. I would really recommend it for all engineers. I am already doing it.

By Antonio C

May 08, 2020

excellent course, a little hard on the tests but still a great choice. I learned a lot

By Diego L

Oct 08, 2018

Excellent course! It helps you to understand real problems and apply your knowledge.

By Tamas S

May 15, 2017

It was fantastic, easy to understand, I am waiting for Part II. Thank you very much!

By Muhlis O

May 01, 2020

This was a very efficient and practical course. I have learned so much. Thank You.

By SAYAN D B

Sep 01, 2020

Being an automotive engineering student it is a great learning experience for me.