Back to Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know

Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know, University of California, Davis

About this Course

We explore “10 things” that range from the menu of materials available to engineers in their profession to the many mechanical and electrical properties of materials important to their use in various engineering fields. We also discuss the principles behind the manufacturing of those materials. By the end of the course, you will be able to: * Recognize the important aspects of the materials used in modern engineering applications, * Explain the underlying principle of materials science: “structure leads to properties,” * Identify the role of thermally activated processes in many of these important “things” – as illustrated by the Arrhenius relationship. * Relate each of these topics to issues that have arisen (or potentially could arise) in your life and work. If you would like to explore the topic in more depth you may purchase Dr. Shackelford's Textbook: J.F. Shackelford, Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers, Eighth Edition, Pearson Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2015...

By SS

Jul 25, 2017

It helped me a lot to have a basic idea about different types of materials, processing and properties. I earned basic knowledge about materials and I can teach these relevant topics to students

By PC

Mar 05, 2018

This course was alot more educational then I thought it would be but now I compare what has shaped me in in life to creep deformation. I especially loved the lecture " a play on good and evil".

209 Reviews

By Ragab

Jan 18, 2019

very good presentation skills

very good materiel

thanks dr :James Shackelford

By Adam Braus

Jan 04, 2019

Needs a lot more context! Why why why are we learning each topic. I love all the math and the depth, but just say why we are learning each thing first!

How about modeling each of the 10 things after a historical case study? Like the invention of carbonated steel, vulcanized rubber, or high temperature super conductors...? The historical case will put the abstract processes into context.

By Dr. Poornesh P

Dec 26, 2018

Framed excellently to the beginners

By Ganeshraj

Dec 23, 2018

Excellent course to brush your basics. Thank you so much sir for making it simple and efficient.

By Atta ul haq

Dec 05, 2018

improving my skills

By Luis Noe Hernandez Gonzalez

Dec 01, 2018

Es un gran curso, con saberes teóricos prácticos, de gran contenido y fácil apreciación para las aspiraciones de un futuro ingeniero enhorabuena!

By Harikrishnan

Nov 29, 2018

good

By Mumtaz

Nov 25, 2018

Great introductory course to Materials Engineering.

By Tiwari Sanjay Ranjan

Nov 16, 2018

great learning

nicely explained in a very shot span

By Md Zaid Shaikh