Back to Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know by University of California, Davis

We explore “10 things” that range from the menu of materials available to engineers in their profession to the many mechanical and electrical properties of materials important to their use in various engineering fields. We also discuss the principles behind the manufacturing of those materials. By the end of the course, you will be able to: * Recognize the important aspects of the materials used in modern engineering applications, * Explain the underlying principle of materials science: “structure leads to properties,” * Identify the role of thermally activated processes in many of these important “things” – as illustrated by the Arrhenius relationship. * Relate each of these topics to issues that have arisen (or potentially could arise) in your life and work. If you would like to explore the topic in more depth you may purchase Dr. Shackelford's Textbook: J.F. Shackelford, Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers, Eighth Edition, Pearson Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2015...

ZM

Jul 18, 2017

This course is good for engineers. It illustrated many fundemental and important concept in materials science. The teacher is great who explain nearly everthings in details with words and experiments.

DP

It was a very good short course. Was very useful and informative. The videos were very creatively made. The shorter duration of each videos was an added plus to get the solid attention of the viewers

51 - 75 of 707 Reviews for Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know

By Pranshu A

Apr 07, 2019

This course was extremely helpful to me regarding the knowledge I gained. Moreover, I am very thankful that this course was provided to me under financial aid and I could avail such an experience which would not be possible otherwise.

By Tavone S

Feb 19, 2018

This course was very helpful, as a up-coming student for material engineer I gained a enormous amount of useful information to help me progress though me first year of college. Thanks for the basic understanding of Material Science.

By Sujoy S

Covers a lot of Material basics and helped give emphasis on a lot of small concepts which our colleges had skipped in classes. Quizzes were also fairly challenging and a good way to do well is taking down notes from time to time.

By Y S R R

May 15, 2020

very good explanation about all the fundamentals of the material science.Teaching will be a little bit fast what I felt.Experimental facilities whatever you have shown in the lectures gave a good understanding of the subject.

By Mahima D

I being a metallurgy and materials science graduate took those course for refreshing my basic knowledge. I would highly recommend this course to all engineers, especially those doing research in developing newer materials.

By ILAIYAVEL S

Thanks Professor for the wonderful presentation

It will help me this course to my college students

Dr.S.Ilaiyavel

Associate Professor Department of Mechanical Engineer

Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering

Sriprumbudur.

By Hussain D

Aug 07, 2017

I have to thank the course instructor he is a great scientist and great mind. He was so kind and have the ability to get through the boring things with an exciting way. I liked him so much and I am really thankful!!!

By Darlan V B

Nov 25, 2016

The course gives a lot of good informations that engineers should know in the everyday life. The professor James Shackelford explain the subjects in a very clear and objective way with a lot of practical examples.

By Muhammad A H

May 13, 2020

I'm really feeling lucky to do this course. And really thankful to our instructor Honorable Mr. James Shackelford , who has really an outstanding way to deliver things. Thanks a lot and a lot of respect for you.

By Navendra P S

May 03, 2020

Awesome Learning !!!

After completing the course, I really found that the course name is really meaningful.

Along with the content, style of teaching and content compilation was colorful and never felt monotonous.

By Sachin P

Apr 23, 2020

It's very interesting course and especially i learnt so many facts and deep knowledge of mainly six materials therefore i endorse to learners do at least one time. It will uplift your basic knowledge of material.

By Siddhesh C

Apr 29, 2018

This course is better for those who wants to learn basics of Material Science. It cleared all my concepts and I got knowledge about it. Thank you UC Davis and also thanks to Dr. James Shackelford for this course.

By Tamu S

Feb 22, 2016

I've done my Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering in one of the best colleges in India, and yet this course makes me understand the roots of Material Science & Engg. better than my 4 years spent in college.

By Mohammad H S

Feb 10, 2016

I really thank to Coursera Community and University of California, Davis for organizing this useful course. I reccomend all the students who are studying Engineering majors.

Come on friends and join us.

By Louie R

Sep 09, 2019

I have learned a lot! Thanks to this very comprehensive course. Very easy to follow lessons! The professor explained very well each section with great mastery of the subject matter. Thanks Prof JD.

By SURIYA V

Jun 18, 2020

A special thankd to Mr.James Shackelford, who guided me throughout this course journey. The way he explain all material science topic is fablous. I enjoyed this course and once again i thank you sir

By Osmar d S S

May 03, 2016

Excellent course to get the first contact with material science discipline.

PS.: Professor Shackelford is very didactic in his explanations.

Great professor.

Osmar Santos

Santa Branca-SP / BRAZIL.

By Merve Ö

Aug 18, 2019

I really liked the course. The instructor was very good. He defined the subjects very clearly and then gave interesting examples. I recommend this course, especially, for electronics engineers.

By Jobert J A A B

Jul 25, 2020

The professor is great and holds a lot of knowledge to what he is teaching. I also like the way he delivers the lesson and the thorough explanation of the subject matter partnered with graphs.

By Ashish P

Jun 24, 2018

Beautiful course. Helped me a lot in the selection of materials for our rocketry team. I'll be sure to suggest this course to my fellow teammates. A big thumbs-up to UCDAVIS for this course.

By Carlos R D

Jul 12, 2020

It was delightful to refresh some old knowledge from the university year and internalize and consolidate such concepts. I will be also happy to deepen in new concepts for me in the future.

By Ramya P

May 14, 2020

We know how vast the material science filed is. This course is the one of the best and effective way to gain insight of important materials science aspects for the engineering applications

By 洪崧貿

Apr 21, 2018

I'm an engineer with material science background. This course reminds me a lot of knowledge with simple way and make things clear. I hope that i can use these useful knowledge on my work.

By MOHAMED M P

Jun 28, 2020

It was very nice experience for me in reviewing so many basic thing and that are very much important in my professional job as working in the field of inspection of pipe lines

By Yulei F

Feb 14, 2019

pretty good, the professor deliver the lecture in a very vivid way and what really surprise me is that I can get so much knowledge from this short course.thank you, professor.