Back to Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know by University of California, Davis

We explore “10 things” that range from the menu of materials available to engineers in their profession to the many mechanical and electrical properties of materials important to their use in various engineering fields. We also discuss the principles behind the manufacturing of those materials. By the end of the course, you will be able to: * Recognize the important aspects of the materials used in modern engineering applications, * Explain the underlying principle of materials science: “structure leads to properties,” * Identify the role of thermally activated processes in many of these important “things” – as illustrated by the Arrhenius relationship. * Relate each of these topics to issues that have arisen (or potentially could arise) in your life and work. If you would like to explore the topic in more depth you may purchase Dr. Shackelford's Textbook: J.F. Shackelford, Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers, Eighth Edition, Pearson Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2015...

DK

Sep 24, 2020

This course is good for engineers. It illustrated many fundemental and important concept in materials science. The teacher is great who explain nearly everthings in details with words and experiments.

ZM

Jul 18, 2017

76 - 100 of 776 Reviews for Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know

By Ashish P

Jun 24, 2018

Beautiful course. Helped me a lot in the selection of materials for our rocketry team. I'll be sure to suggest this course to my fellow teammates. A big thumbs-up to UCDAVIS for this course.

By Carlos R D

Jul 12, 2020

It was delightful to refresh some old knowledge from the university year and internalize and consolidate such concepts. I will be also happy to deepen in new concepts for me in the future.

By Ramya P

May 14, 2020

We know how vast the material science filed is. This course is the one of the best and effective way to gain insight of important materials science aspects for the engineering applications

By 洪崧貿

Apr 21, 2018

I'm an engineer with material science background. This course reminds me a lot of knowledge with simple way and make things clear. I hope that i can use these useful knowledge on my work.

By MOHAMED M P

Jun 28, 2020

It was very nice experience for me in reviewing so many basic thing and that are very much important in my professional job as working in the field of inspection of pipe lines

By Yulei F

Feb 14, 2019

pretty good, the professor deliver the lecture in a very vivid way and what really surprise me is that I can get so much knowledge from this short course.thank you, professor.

By Muhammad J A

Jan 23, 2016

The Course is designed so well by the UC Davis and Coursera. And the discussion forum is also really helpful for me while studying this course. It's really a great experience.

By MACCHA D K

Jan 10, 2016

its been an awesome experience through the course. The topics have taught interestingly with relevant examples throughout the lecture's. Finally my sincere thanks to Mr.James

By noli e

Jul 05, 2020

I learned much about this course. with the simple but detailed discussion of dr. James Shackelford, I got more interest to pursue he study materials science and engineering

By Jessalyn C G

Sep 13, 2020

As aspirant Materials Scientist I learned to understand and emphasize how the history of materials influences its structure and the material's properties and performance.

By Gavin H

Dec 08, 2016

As and organic chemist working in a materials company, mainly adhesives, I found this course to be an excellent introduction to material testing and material science in ge

By Moez B

Jul 12, 2016

Excellent course on the basics of properties of materials. It is a well-designed, well-delivered course on the essentials in materials science. Thanks for a fun course.

By Dr. Y D

I want to join much more courses as given by James Shackelford Sir.

I want to pursue my Post Doctoral studies under his spuervision at UCDavis extension at Kemper Hall.

By THIRUMAL P

Apr 09, 2020

This is excellent course,this way we are increasing our knowledge,checking our potential and correct our mistakes easily.I enjoyed this season,thanks a lot to coursera

By Dhandhukia J

Jul 14, 2020

This is one of the best course for each engineer to know the fundamentals of material science. It will definitely help everyone for their future engineering career

By Dr R U K

May 12, 2020

This course is very good and most useful to undergraduate , post graduate, faculty, and also research scholars. Without material science there is no manufacturing

By Hamed K

Apr 16, 2020

A good and straightforward course giving enough fundamental knowledge for engineering students of any track. The professor also explains the topics quite clearly.

By Zainul

Dec 10, 2015

Nice, this is by far my most exciting course, i am only 17 and in my country i don't learn a wide range of science in my syllabus. This helps me understood a lot.

By Manivel

Apr 04, 2020

The course was taught with practical applications and some illustrations to understand easily. I thank the course Instructor a lot for his effort in this regard.

By Nishant C

Jul 23, 2017

The entire course is very well planned and advances very systematically. It has been of very help in strengthening my practical as well as theoretical knowledge.

By Aditya P B

Sep 09, 2017

A very useful and informative starting course for practicing engineer like myself. I would really like to thank Dr. James Shackelford and UC Davis course team.

By Prashant I S

Sep 12, 2020

Deep explanation of concepts and very easy to understand the fundamentals and concepts of 10 things that every engineer should know about the material science.

By SUBHA

Jun 14, 2020

Clear study Stress- strain curve, Arrhenius law, Defects, fatigues, Dislocations, phase diagrams, Semiconductors are clearly & graphically explained. Thank you

By Raguraman K

Feb 22, 2019

A very concise course covering the essential concepts of materials science beautifully explained. I like the way Professor James negotiates through the topics.

By Hanan A

Jan 04, 2017

I loved this course, it was light and educational. The instructor makes complex ideas simple, interesting, and relevant. I highly recommend this to engineers