Back to Mechanics of Materials I: Fundamentals of Stress & Strain and Axial Loading

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mechanics of Materials I: Fundamentals of Stress & Strain and Axial Loading by Georgia Institute of Technology

This course explores the topic of solid objects subjected to stress and strain. The methods taught in the course are used to predict the response of engineering structures to various types of loading, and to analyze the vulnerability of these structures to various failure modes. Axial loading with be the focus in this course. ------------------------------ The copyright of all content and materials in this course are owned by either the Georgia Tech Research Corporation or Dr. Wayne Whiteman. By participating in the course or using the content or materials, whether in whole or in part, you agree that you may download and use any content and/or material in this course for your own personal, non-commercial use only in a manner consistent with a student of any academic course. Any other use of the content and materials, including use by other academic universities or entities, is prohibited without express written permission of the Georgia Tech Research Corporation. Interested parties may contact Dr. Wayne Whiteman directly for information regarding the procedure to obtain a non-exclusive license....

RR

Sep 09, 2018

A very useful course for getting a strong foundation in strength of materials course. Definitely recommend to all who wants to learn it. Looking forward to future courses. Dr. Whiteman is outstanding.

RJ

Jul 13, 2020

Learning with practical problems is a great experience. It made me an wow experience to solve practical problems .Thank You Dr.Wayne Whiteman ,Georgia Tech and Coursera for happy learning experience.

26 - 50 of 558 Reviews for Mechanics of Materials I: Fundamentals of Stress & Strain and Axial Loading

By Francisco S C

Feb 28, 2017

Great Course

By Samhita G

May 05, 2020

The mistakes in numerical were very disturbing, as even though i was getting correct answers, the screen was showing something different. Other than that, I loved the course!

By PAWAR P S

May 03, 2020

Course is good. Nice teaching . Legit problems. Only 1 negative point too many mistakes in every problem

By Ahsan N

don't start the course until you've completed its prequels because you'll not get it as the tutor often refers to them

By PUNDRU S R

May 07, 2020

Honorable Sir,

In Module 33: The value of radius of Mohr's circle calculated by You is 716µ. Actually this value is wrong. So, all other parameters calculated by you were wrong.

Kindly make it corrected. The correct parameter of radius of Mohr's circle is 761µ

Sir, You did one more mistake.

In Module 44: The free body diagram drawn by you was wrong, and also the applied force on the given structure is 135 kN, but you considered 530 kN. Therefore the other parameters in module:44 were also wrong.

Sir,

Kindly modify these two modules (33 & 44) before presenting next time. Actually, Your explanation was Good. Therefore, I am giving 100% feed back to you.

Yours faithfully

PUNDRU SRINIVASA RAO

Mail id : psrinivasarao_mct@mgit.ac.in

By Buhari I

Apr 23, 2017

Woow! I had taken a course on Strength of Materials before, for my undergrad, but decided to take this course as refresher and to grasp some missed concepts. Dr. Whiteman's approach to teaching the course really helped me a lot to understand the behavior of materials in both the linear elastic and plastic regions. Mohr's Circles was a mystery for me, for some strange reason, but Dr. Whiteman really opened the door for me in this course. Overall, I think it was time well spent, and I will definitely recommend this course to anyone looking to have a solid grasp of the fundamental principles of mechanics of materials.

By Rodolfo S M

Dec 06, 2019

Excellent course and very interesting to learn the basis of stress and strain. The proffesor showed emphaty and good explanations. On the other hand, the examples were really applicable. I met strain gauges, and sometimes the proffesor showed mechanical pieces in order to guide us. From my point of view, mechanics of materials is very extensive and I would like to see more specialty courses as fracture mechanics or deformation of materials in process (of steel or aluminum: materials tipically used around the world). I want to thank the proffesor to enrich my knowledge in this field.

By Arup K D

Apr 13, 2020

I have had this course as an undergraduate student in my university. From there my interest grew fir solid mechanics. So for the interest i took this course and found out very helpful for me. In my undergrad course, i skipped mohr circle and i was afraid of it very much for unknown reason. After completing this course, that fair is gone. And it is very simple for me now. Mr. Whiteman is very helpful and always try to help student in the discussion section. I would recommend this course for the beginners and intermediate students also.

By Vanessa M S P

Jun 07, 2020

Through this course, I have now a better understanding of the stress and strain formulas. The course derives the formula so I absorbed the lessons effectively than simply memorizing it. It also shares some application of the concepts that help me visualize how they use them in the engineering world. The only negative comment I could say is that sometimes there are mistakes made in the middle of discussion like misspoke terms, wrong signs but immediately, made a correction by the sudden pop-up of the white screen.

By Heinrich Z

Jul 21, 2020

As an academic in Applied Mathematics, this Introductory Course on Mechanics of Materials, helped me tremendously in my understanding how stresses and strains occurs and the Mathematics behind this topic. Dr Whiteman's presentation of the course material was excellent and I have decided to enroll for another two courses, since I'm busy with post-graduate research in composite materials which will help me in the understanding of more concepts.

By Ashutosh S

Jun 02, 2017

Amazing course. I have already studied this course during my undergrad but this experience was different, the derivations specifically which i would have never understood and their significance, are now crystal clear. I would request the professor to start a course on structural analysis and some modelling software so that these concepts could be related. A course in Finite element modelling is highly appreciated. Thanks alot.

By Geraldy D

Jun 30, 2020

Thank You for Georgia Tech and Dr. Wayne Whiteman PE in delivering these interactive engineering courses. I like the way that the video and the module are created in such a way that it may be understandable and helpful for the students who are taking this course. Honestly, I was taking this course in order to help me in finishing my Final Year Project/Senior Capstone project for my Bachelor thesis, so once again thank you.

By Chin M

Jun 10, 2016

The online lectures delivery by Dr Wayne are of a very high quality. Dr Wayne makes learning difficult concepts easy and the presentation is peppered with practical demonstrations of concepts at hand in the video. Learning is highly effective for the interested self-directed learner as there's good engagement and sufficient challenges are created along the way and during lecture delivery for the interested student.

By Aitor A

Mar 29, 2016

I have really enjoyed this course. It has allowed me to review some of the aspects I studied at the modules of continuum mechanics at University. Dr. Whiteman clearly explains all the concepts and makes learning really easy. I appreciate a lot Dr. Whiteman´s work and I would like to encourage him to follow this path. Thank you very much for everything!

By Jain P H

May 09, 2020

Very nicely designed course for the design mechanical engineers to understand the concepts of stresses, strains, principal stresses. Sound foundation of these concepts really help in designing of mechanical components. Dr. Wayne Whiteman explained all these concepts in very simple and lucid manner. Thank you Sir.

By Abhishek N

Apr 27, 2020

The course of Mechanics of Material is one of the most competent course for current mechanical and manufacturing industry.I enjoyed the course on full fledged.The delivery of lecture was just epic.Thank you so much sir,Georgia Tech University and coursera platform for such a significant contribution.

By Divyansh S

Jun 01, 2020

The course content was greatfully carried out starting from the introduction to the end of the course. The examples made it very amazing to understand. The solutions to examples were clearly explained and it led me to built a good foundations of fundamentals of Axial Loading and Stress & Strain.

By VICTOR K M M

Jul 21, 2020

Great course, I'm from Chile, I'm civil engineer. Este curso me ayudó a profundizar y fortalecer mis conocimientos en estructuras. Muy bien explicado por el profesor, se nota su gran conocimiento en el tema. Tomaré un nuevo curso con él. Estoy muy agradecido. Saludos. Victor Monsalve.

By Rahul S M

Apr 18, 2020

The course is very relevant to Mechanical, Civil, Industrial engineers. The instructor explains the thing very well, and everything is best viz. knowledge, explanation, examples, practicality, etc. Thanks a lot to the instructor (Prof. Wayne Whiteman, PE) for designing the course.

By Syed M A

May 22, 2020

It was really a great opportunity to learn the concept of mechanics from Dr. Whiteman, his amazing quality of delivering the concepts in a very easy, understandable way.

I want to thank Dr. Whiteman for designing this course and Coursera for providing us the platform to learn.

By BARAMAPPAGARI C

This course is very important for civil as well as for mechanical engineering. The instructor explained everything in detail with examples. Thanks a lot to the instructor for designing the course. This is clearing me all the basic concepts in stress and strain.

Thank you.

By Meshal A

At the beginning I'd like to thank Dr. Wayne Whiteman for a great effort and i wish him the best. I recommended this course for all mechanical engineers. small request from Dr.Wayne to add a references as (books, lectures,...) and mentioned in the last course or modules.

By Luis N H G

Sep 30, 2018

En lo personal este curso es muy bueno, soy estudiante de la universidad veracruzana y con este curso he mejorado mi conocimiento me ayudo a comprender mas sobre la mecánica y comportamiento de las estructuras que son sometidas esfuerzos para conocer su comportamiento.