Back to The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness by University of Toronto

Learn how social factors promote mental health, influence the onset and course of mental illness, and affect how mental illnesses are diagnosed and treated. This course explores how our understanding of mental health and illness has been influenced by social attitudes and social developments in North America and around the world. The course begins by situating our contemporary mental health practices in historical context, then looks at different aspects of mental health, mental illness and mental health services and their connections to what’s going on in our social environment....

AW
Sep 27, 2020

A very enlightening course. This opened my eyes a lot more to what Mental health is all about and how patients with diverse mental illness struggle through their journey to healing and recovery.

TL
Apr 4, 2021

This course was excllent! Charmaine Williams created a well-rounded and easy to follow course that really helped me to think critically about the way our society interacts with mental health.

101 - 125 of 126 Reviews for The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness

Oct 28, 2020

G

By Susan P

Mar 10, 2021

This was a very complex course. Being a mom, who hasnt been in school for over 45 years, it was a challenging one to complete. What i learned thru videos was immeasurable, but completing assignments, especially written papers was beyond words difficult for me. Writing was not my best subject in HS, so i met this with much high anxiety and almost gave up many times. This began as a fullfillment for my Unemployment benefits works search alternative, but i picked things that interested me, that i lived with or was around alot.. For the person in college trying to get a degree, im sure this was a great course. To the average person, peer assignments like this werent easy. It wasnt until i completed most courses that i saw how to go into each course and check type of syllabus and assignments. Anyways, very informative and helpful course in many ways for me.

By Kimble P

Jul 18, 2017

This is an excellent course. It is presented in a friendly and competent manner, useful for both Mental Health professionals and the lay person. Only the digital platform glitches and missing management compromised my rating. I use other online courses, and having the discussion forum below each video lesson is more user-friendly, essential towards the promotion of student engagement. The chronic issues of missing or non-functional links belie how awkward fixing the issues students have highlighted and recycling their solutions. These 2 critiques are the only reason I did not give a full 5 stars.

By Sarah C

Mar 21, 2021

I really enjoyed this course! It will definitely influence how I think about mental health and illness from now on. I also enjoyed listening to Professor Williams very much. The only reason not to rate it 5 stars is because of its age. It references being created in 2013 a few times and, although the content still seems very relevant, I would have expected it to be a little more current. Also, several of the links need to be updated as they no longer work.

By Ayesha S

course is very informative and i really enjoyed while doing it. I am batter able to understand mental illness in social context. it increase my knowledge of social factors that influence mental health. positive social environment and positive attitude is very important to promote mental health. Thanks Coursera for this course.

By Kathi C

Apr 3, 2021

I thought Professor Williams was great. The only thing that prevented me from giving a five-star rating is that, if the course were going to be re-offered, the information should have been updated. For instance, the DSM-IV was being used at the time the course was recorded, but I have used nothing but the DSM-V.

By Jay B S

Jul 30, 2019

Great course for sure. The issue is the grading! Not enough people taking it so I couldn't get my final graded! Had to take a lower grade just to close the course and get my certificate. It ended up fine but they need to figure out a better way to do this going forward.

By Jennifer S

Mar 22, 2018

The information and coursework was perfect. The only negative for me was peer grading. The course was well presented and very helpful. The assignments were also very useful and helped to solidify the knowledge presented.

By Freda E

Mar 22, 2021

I enjoyed the course The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness. Informational and thought provoking however I was somewhat disappointed with lack of updated course lecture information.

By Cristina G

Jan 7, 2021

The course is really interesting and the teacher is very good. Maybe there are information, like some reports of the WHO or some links which don't work, that should be update.

By DomInique B

Dec 4, 2016

I really like the course, all the information presentent.

I think it can be better if there was some test, because sometimes it gets too easy.

By Farouk H

Apr 2, 2018

The insight gained from the course was amazing. I learnt a lot! Plus the teaching style and course content made the whole difference.

By Flordeluna G T

Apr 23, 2020

It’s an awesome topic. I enjoyed the assigned readings as well it broadened my knowledge on mental health.

By ekasmayi n

Jun 25, 2020

well structured and rich with information, the detailed coverage of each topic was really delightful.

By Claudia P

Aug 12, 2020

I like how this course can cover a lot of topics but I don't like that know is old information

By Miquèu A

Apr 20, 2021

Good quality at some tomes a bit basic but the materials and the teacher are excelent

By Lisa H

Dec 7, 2020

Very informative and personal. Thanks so much

By Mary A S

Mar 6, 2017

V

By Piera A

Mar 24, 2021

I really liked the content of the course. A lot of knowledge on a high level transmitted really understandable. If you don't want to achieve a certificate that course is really a five star.

Going for a certificate I was very disappointed about the way the course was evaluated. There were only assignments to submit and these were only graded by peers. That is okay in that you can sinthesize the content, but not a real feedback since it s unknown who lies behind the feedback. I would have prefered that there were as well quizzes that would really had given me a feedback about how I implemented the context itself. I belief there would also have been a possibilty to sinthesize the content as well in quizz form.

What I didn't like as well was that some of the readings were not available anymore even though students already informed the course administration.

But as I said contentwise, absolutely great!!!!

By Jordan C

Mar 31, 2020

Very long and boring videos