Back to The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness by University of Toronto

Learn how social factors promote mental health, influence the onset and course of mental illness, and affect how mental illnesses are diagnosed and treated. This course explores how our understanding of mental health and illness has been influenced by social attitudes and social developments in North America and around the world. The course begins by situating our contemporary mental health practices in historical context, then looks at different aspects of mental health, mental illness and mental health services and their connections to what’s going on in our social environment....

AW
Sep 27, 2020

A very enlightening course. This opened my eyes a lot more to what Mental health is all about and how patients with diverse mental illness struggle through their journey to healing and recovery.

HA
Aug 18, 2020

This is a very interesting and eye opening course. Professor Williams explained in such a way that students like me with zero knowledge could understand and be interested. Highly recommended.

26 - 50 of 126 Reviews for The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness

By Desiree A

Feb 17, 2021

Thank you for a well organized course. I really enjoyed this course. I have been taking whatever courses I can on Mental Health. We have some much mental health going on in this world. I believe the more knowledge we have on mental health and illness, the more we can help people that are going through mental health or mental illnesses

By Sabah W

May 1, 2017

A great course. Charmaine Williams is a fantastic educator who made the learning easy, practical and very useful. The course has enabled me to reflect on my situation with much greater awareness. It has also motivated me to be supportive of families who are experiencing difficulties with mental illness. Very grateful.

By Uxue G

Apr 19, 2021

I found the course very interesting and entertaining. I consider that in each week I have learned something and that they are all very well distributed in terms of materials. I consider that I have learned a lot and that we have dealt with topics that, although they are more distant, have also been useful to me

By Lisa F

Mar 29, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and so glad I signed up. it was my first time doing an online course in this format. Professor Williams was a breath of air and I really enjoyed how she delivered the entire lecture . Thank you Professor Williams, this course helped me a lot on a personal level also.

By Jann M

A very interesting course right from the beginning. I really like Charmaine as a presenter and that she voiced her personal opinions about social issues such as discrimination of Indigenous Peoples, Racism, Culture, Ageism and Gender Identity. Thank you Coursera and Thank you Charmaine.

By Mwanahawa A

Sep 5, 2020

Wonderful Course! The material was interesting and engaging! Professor WIlliams' enthusiasm for the course was very contagious! I loved every moment of learning. It really broadened and deepened my understanding of mental illness and mental health! I highly recommend this course!

By Magdalene J

Nov 9, 2020

Thank you Coursera and University of Toronto for this excellent course on the Social Context of Mental Health and Mental Illness. The lectures, readings and other resources provided in this course under the admirable guidance of Prof. Charmaine Williams is deeply appreciated.

By Adrien P

Thank you for this amazing course! After a few years out of school (I completed a Bachelor of Psychology 5 years ago), taking this course reignited my drive to expand and open my mind. The course covered so much in six weeks that I savoured the last of it, not wanting it to end!

By Marc S M

Oct 1, 2016

This course brings some great awareness for the full spectrum of mental health with regards to families, individuals, and societies. I would say it's a good course for anyone as we all have connections to ourself and other people with regards to mental health and illness.

By Amalia B

I absolutely loved this course! What was the core of this course was who was teaching it. My professor was clear and easy to obtain information from. Thank you for expanding my mind when it comes to the social context of mental health.It was an amazing course!

By Steven D

May 22, 2020

I suggest to anyone who wants to better understand mental illness. The historical context is covered and in my opinion a key element to understanding where we are today. This course will be more then adding a certificate, you'll gain valuable knowledge.

By Julia T V d C

Nov 13, 2020

I really liked this course! I study Psychology and I believe that the course brought many different aspects of mental health, which helped me broaden my comprehension on the subject. It was very well sctruture and left me wanting a second course!

By Kyle D M

Feb 25, 2019

This has been a wonderful course and I am glad that it is offered here through Coursera. I learned a lot and am able to apply my new skills into my current career position. Thank you Charmaine for a lovely experience and platform of learning.

By Diane W

Apr 11, 2020

Excellent Professor! Course is well presented and videos are easy to watch and learn concepts. I have taken several on line courses and the work on developing a comprehensive course is evident. Thank you for a great learning experience.

By MANDIRA Z

Mar 1, 2021

brilliant, detailed and a very detailed view of how we treat mental illness as a society and what are the necessary actions required to treat mental illness through a social context.. This course has been an eye opener.

By Kristen T

Nov 21, 2019

Absolutely love this course!! The professor provided very clear outlines for the discussions and assignments - I'm happy to end these 6 weeks with more knowledge about the social context of mental health and illness.

By SAKSHI C

May 14, 2020

This course was extremely helpful in not only expanding my knowledge base but also to better understand my own surroundings. As an aspiring mental health worker, this certainly proved to be of significant value.

By olisa a

Mar 20, 2021

This was quite a journey. The course was quite interesting, and thought provoking on so many levels. The instructor made is quite easy to understand. I look forwarded to being in one of her classes in person.

By Maria M P V

Apr 20, 2021

Amazing course, the materials are exciting, and the links between the topics are clear. Professor Williams's background and facilitation are superb. I recommend this course. Thank you for this journey!

By Oscar A

Aug 19, 2020

By Fini S E

Apr 27, 2020

It was a great learning experience, I gained a lot of information that will be of great benefit to me in my social work carrier. I will definitely recommend this course to my friends.

By Zhou C

May 23, 2017

Awesome course by Professor Williams who taught us a lot about how to consider health issues under the social context to explore the interaction between health and social factors.

By Nishtha J

Dec 11, 2019

An excellent course which can cater to all kinds of learners who are interested in mental health and its evolution over time along with the impact of society on mental health.

By Donovan L A B R

Apr 25, 2017

The content and activities are very well designed and professional. I higly recommend thsi course to any person interested in learning more about mental health and illness.

By Kam L

Jun 5, 2021

Excellent overview of historical and current status of mental health and illness. Also offers practical suggestions to encourage mental health and to support mentally ill.