Back to The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness by University of Toronto

Learn how social factors promote mental health, influence the onset and course of mental illness, and affect how mental illnesses are diagnosed and treated. This course explores how our understanding of mental health and illness has been influenced by social attitudes and social developments in North America and around the world. The course begins by situating our contemporary mental health practices in historical context, then looks at different aspects of mental health, mental illness and mental health services and their connections to what’s going on in our social environment....

AW

Sep 27, 2020

A very enlightening course. This opened my eyes a lot more to what Mental health is all about and how patients with diverse mental illness struggle through their journey to healing and recovery.

TL

Apr 4, 2021

This course was excllent! Charmaine Williams created a well-rounded and easy to follow course that really helped me to think critically about the way our society interacts with mental health.

151 - 155 of 155 Reviews for The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness

By Mary A S

Mar 6, 2017

V

By Piera A

Mar 24, 2021

I really liked the content of the course. A lot of knowledge on a high level transmitted really understandable. If you don't want to achieve a certificate that course is really a five star.

Going for a certificate I was very disappointed about the way the course was evaluated. There were only assignments to submit and these were only graded by peers. That is okay in that you can sinthesize the content, but not a real feedback since it s unknown who lies behind the feedback. I would have prefered that there were as well quizzes that would really had given me a feedback about how I implemented the context itself. I belief there would also have been a possibilty to sinthesize the content as well in quizz form.

What I didn't like as well was that some of the readings were not available anymore even though students already informed the course administration.

But as I said contentwise, absolutely great!!!!

By Francesco I

Jan 12, 2022

Very interesting and complete. Unfortunately, it is evident that the course topics and lectures have not been updated since at least 2014. This is a great drawback of this course because many things regarding the social context of mental health and illness have happened and changed during this years (e.g. the publication of the DSM-V).

By Jordan C

Mar 31, 2020

Very long and boring videos

By Jamie V

Feb 29, 2020

I appreciated the focus on mental health and mental illness, and I enjoyed learning about the history of asylums and the DSM. However, I did not learn as much as I had hoped to. The course felt more like a commentary, than actually learning about certain topics.