Back to Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health

Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health , The University of Sydney

About this Course

In today’s world, mental illness and distress are common and these account for a significant burden of disability within our community. At the same time, there is a growing interest in understanding and enhancing positive mental health and wellbeing; particularly from developments in the fields of positive psychology and mental health promotion. Positive Psychiatry is a new term (Jeste et al 2016) that describes a dual approach to mental health, where we build strengths, supports and healthy lifestyles as well as treating illness and distress. In this course, we will explore different aspects of good mental health as well as provide an overview of the major kinds of mental disorders, their causes, treatments and how to seek help and support. The course will feature a large number of Australian experts in psychiatry, psychology and mental health research, and we will also hear from “lived experience experts”, people who have lived with mental illness, and share their personal stories of recovery. We take an evidence-based approach to a range of strategies that anyone can use to enhance their own mental health and that of others, from exercise and relaxation techniques through to the role of love, relationships and 'good' types of work. We cover topics from creativity and yoga through to psychiatric medications and psychotherapies....

By JB

Feb 06, 2019

I learned what expected to learn from this course. I love the presenters and the manner of delivery. Resources abound too. I'm purchasing this course. I hope to meet you, guys in persons. Thank you.

By ES

Aug 22, 2018

Es excelente y lo recomiendo para todos los enfoques de la psicologia, es bueno estar al tanto de la perspectiva humanista dentro de la psiquiatria y salud mental

50 Reviews

By Susan Harkins

Feb 20, 2019

I enjoyed this course immensely. I can use this information for family members who have mental health issues.

By John Beltran

Feb 19, 2019

Very insightful course into getting a better mental health. I have lived experiences with mental health problems also and the combination of proffessionals and people with lived experiences provide a thorough allround course experience. This course is a natural extension for me and the peer education I took here in denmark in 2017. I look forward to broadening my own personal development even more now and I would like to say so much thanks you to all the people involved in creating this course. Thank you so much! Many many appreciations here from me:) John Beltran

By Lisa Katherine Michel

Feb 16, 2019

I think this course represents a magnificent opportunity to keep updated about psychiatric and psychology last researches and tendencies.

It`s structured and organized by weeks and assessments, so it`s easy to complete.

Definitely a great opportunity to keep learning!

By Sandra Goria

Feb 12, 2019

Pretty good - but needs more elements of engagement

By John B. Bejo

Feb 06, 2019

By Egon Werlen

Jan 25, 2019

All in all a very good course giving a good overview about positive Psychiatry.

By Nicola James

Jan 12, 2019

Very engaging and informative course in which I learnt various self-help techniques to contribute towards wellbeing and good mental health ie exercising, good nutrition etc. I also learnt much about the different types of mental health conditions and how they can be treated in a clinical setting. I would definitely recommend this course.

By David J Giard

Jan 06, 2019

Excellent course!

By Katrina Hatton

Dec 29, 2018

I loved how easy it was to find the information needed to complete the assesments. I enjoyed the fact that it was a self-directed course and that I could work at my own pace. I thoroughly enjoyed the course content and the way the video lectures were presented. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in this topic!

By Yaqeen Sikander

Dec 25, 2018

Great course, wonderful content and lovely teachers. Enjoyed every bit of it.