Back to Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science by University of Pennsylvania

Dr. Martin E.P. Seligman—renowned worldwide as the “father of Positive Psychology”—has led visionary leaps in the scientific research, empirical data and personal understandings of human flourishing. This course explores the past, present and future of positive psychology as a journey through the key scientific leaps led by Dr. Seligman and his colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania's Positive Psychology Center and Master of Applied Positive Psychology program. There are no prerequisites....

BS
Jan 22, 2020

Dr Seligman is a very charismatic professor. He presents the course in a very interesting and engaging way. I enjoyed the coursework as well as the reading. I will be delving further into the subject.

RS
Dec 8, 2017

Very self-enhancing. Activities are fun and at the same time a good avenue for learning experiences. Very positive and student engaging. Thank you for giving me the chance to be part of this course =)

26 - 50 of 1,632 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

By Courbe M N

Jan 22, 2021

A bit too much of Seligman's person, I was here in this class to learning how positive psychology could be useful and if I get some informations i got more on the professor studies than in the current fields of positive psychology. In someway and ads for his books and to congrats the university

By Jim T

Feb 11, 2020

Really good beginning, but then kind of veered off into tangents. Would have preferred a deeper dive into the practices, research, and applications of Positive Psychology in a therapeutic setting.

By María B U

Aug 24, 2019

I think you need more practical information and not so much theorical information, also i would like better use of the audiovisual ressources.

By Sonya C

Feb 18, 2020

I enjoyed the content but really want to know HOW to implement things like learned optimism and mindfulness.

By Vladimir H

Nov 22, 2019

This course is more an advertisement to Positive psychology.. No practical methods are thought..

By Dominik W

Sep 2, 2018

Starts good ends rather, well, boring

By Betania G

Aug 1, 2017

The first couple lectures were interesting. I had a hard time listening and reading the remainder ones due to being too technical and not as interesting for my field. I am interested in learning practical interventions that I can utilize with my clients. I had difficulties paying attention to some of the lessons due to being not as practical to my client as I expected (information that I did not find it applied to help my clients due to being too theoretical and out of scope).

By Andrew B

Apr 30, 2017

I honestly thought this course was all over the place and too general. It also seemed to be full of self - congratulations about what UPENN has accomplished with its research. I wanted more depth in a more targeted approach to improving my life.

By Japke Z

Jun 14, 2017

Useless course. Just a bunch of repetitions of anecdotes chopped up in tiny clips with way too many pointless popup questions. Let me save everyone some time and summarize this course: "Being positive is good for you." You will have to figure out for yourself how to do that, because this course will not teach you.

By Sigal C

Feb 9, 2019

Starts with a very interesting Module that talks about the concept of Positive Psychology and its key elements, but then goes into less interesting and relevant topics such as different experiments over the years and journalism.

By Alban D W

Aug 24, 2019

Positive psychology is exceedingly important to me, as a psychologist who has worked in a variety of inpatient, residential and outpatient facilities. I understand the importance of helping clients via a focus on what positives she or he has and others positives can beI developed. I've run some marathons, and found that I just need to keep on running, no matter how many may pass me in the process. When you run under the 26.2 mile finish line. the rest of the race, being passed, etc.. becomes less important. There is the story of a boy trying to toss a baseball up in the air and hit it with his bat. The boy keeps tossing it up, albeit, missing the ball. Rather than pessimism and failure, he proudly says aloud, "What a great pitcher I am!" My clients often focus on mistakes, failures, other people's comments about them - including family. I love positive psychology. Could not agree more that the focus must be on our positives. versus trying overcome our shortcomings! That is my focus as a psychologist. Dr. Seligman has developed an extremely important way of looking at things. I also like Behavioral Activation Therapy (not behavior therapy). Rather than focusing on the downside, behavioral activation assigns the client to go do X, Y, Z - of his or her choosing, as long as it is healthy and positive. Example,, a depressed person can focus on being depressed, isolated from other, lack of positive experiences. But the depressed person very often decides to not go to the friends birthday party, and shuts him or herself in their room - all alone. Behavioral Activation - assigns them to go anyway. Being home alone in one's room make depression worse. going anything (unless it is a mean group of peers, who tend to ridicule him or her - if so -- the goal is to find those who are not like that). Yet CBT (a very good therapy) is often shoved to the head of the line. I strongly recommend Behavioral Activation Therapy, which is a key treatment at an inpatient center in Wisconsin. Thank you for your time, in reading this message.

By Noorudin M

Sep 11, 2018

I would like to thank Dr. Seligman and all the course instructors for their valuable insights about positive psychology and how important is it for personal, national and global well being. I have started this personal journey of broadening my understanding about this science and how it could be used to heal myself and others and infuse the concept of hope and seeing goodness in one's own self and others, and building on those strengths. Thanks coursera team for providing me the financial aid to complete this course and i look forward to your support for helping me complete this specialization, which then i can spread to people who i work with and care for.

By Matheus P

Feb 28, 2020

Excellent and succint explanation of the history, objectives, trends and branches of Positive Psychology. And to learn with the man himself and other leading researchers is a one-of-a-kind experience.

By Shinq Y I T

Apr 28, 2020

Research-focused, lots of examples given of different studies that were conducted. Sometimes the video topics didn't connect well from one to another - it would jump into another topic and you could tell there was a large amount of material in between that was omitted, which disrupted the flow and made it hard to have a good grasp of the full picture. Would have liked to see some more practical applications in the closing remarks. The course just kind of ended, with no real takeaways given to the common person. It seems like it's all about researchers testing and finding insights in various branches rather than actually benefiting regular people. Otherwise, everything was interesting and well-presented. Engaging and thoughtful. Enjoyed it overall.

By Manon M

Apr 1, 2020

Love the different perspectives. Looking forward to the other courses. But I wonder how I could help other people with positive psychology as a mental trainer/ coach. It's really hard when people are under a lot of pressure to teach them something new. I need some quick wins, to convince them to change some of their habbits otherwise I loose their faith and interest in the science I'd like to promote. I truly beleive we have to invest in mental health just as much as in fysical health, perhaps even more...

By Love L

Jun 21, 2017

Interesting course on a super hot subject with interesting lectures. I would give it five stars if it was more focused on methods that could be applied in professional situations and a little less focused on the history of the field of positive psychology. An idea for improvement is to provide more of the history in form of additional reading material and to focus the lectures more on the application of methods in various fields such as personal development, organizational development, journalism etc.

By Stephen S W

Apr 5, 2018

It is a good introductory course. I would have liked a bit more detail on research findings and more exercises to enhance well-being. The transcripts of the videos aren't good--lots of mistakes. It's like the sound was plugged into some transcription software and nobody QC'ed it. Also, some of the answers to questtions on the quizzes are debatable. The presenters are good and certainly experts in their field. This makes the poor quality elsewhere more frustrating.

By Giulia O S R

Sep 3, 2020

Liked: Good use of lectures, youtube videos, and links to read. Exercises to try for yourself and share with others. Encouraged participation. Teachers are well-spoken and comfortable on camera.

Dislikes: Some irrelevant information, not enough usable/practical knowledge but I'm guessing that's because it's the first course in the program. Looking forward for the next course.

By Benjamin B

Apr 24, 2018

Generally good. Journalism part was not science based and dragged on way to long. There was a minor bit of missing material and coursera does not care about providing it. No response at all from coursera, moderators, or instructor if problems arise. But overall I encourage people to take it. Very interesting and inspiring!

By Leslie K

Feb 13, 2021

I am so grateful to be able to hear about this research from the founder of the field and those colleagues who are engaged in taking the field forward into the future. I wish that the readings had been more substantial (even if they were optional) and I wish that there were more exercise to do. This was an interesting overview of the state of the field, but the readings were journalistic and surface level.

By Ernie D

Jun 2, 2020

The course is an easy introduction to positive psychology. I found the addition of post-doc and experts to be disjointed and that they could have been introduced better. Context as to why these experts were part of the course would help. I also feel the course lacked an overall structure, power point slides, and more good quiz questions. The activities were helpful and I have incorporated them into my life.

By Yashowardhan C

Aug 24, 2017

The course was way too basic.

Maybe, few more papers, names of books, articles could be shared.

I was specially bored of Constructive Journalism and Spirituality bit.

I loved all of Seligman's sessions, Big data in Psychology, Resilience and Open Experience bits.

May be include more Profs in the course - Barbara Fredrickson, Tal Ben-Shahar, Shaun Achor, Angela Duckworth and the like.

By Subhasis C

Mar 25, 2018

My rating is not for the course but the course price. I had to pay for the entire specialisation to just take this one course. Dr. Seligman should see that his course at least here, is affordable. That would be philanthropy and not force people to pay for the entire specialisation.

By Matthew W

Dec 17, 2018

Easy to follow, but did stray into the theological space in the end. Overall, I would recommend this course if you are looking for a broad summary of the topic. Seligman is certainly vibrant and engaging, the other presenters less so.

By Janis F

Sep 13, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and consider it a good induction to Positive Psychology. It has given me the foundation and interest to pursue further studies and I am particularly interested in the research.