Back to Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science by University of Pennsylvania

Dr. Martin E.P. Seligman—renowned worldwide as the “father of Positive Psychology”—has led visionary leaps in the scientific research, empirical data and personal understandings of human flourishing. This course explores the past, present and future of positive psychology as a journey through the key scientific leaps led by Dr. Seligman and his colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania's Positive Psychology Center and Master of Applied Positive Psychology program. There are no prerequisites....

MP
Feb 27, 2020

Excellent and succint explanation of the history, objectives, trends and branches of Positive Psychology. And to learn with the man himself and other leading researchers is a one-of-a-kind experience.

BS
Jan 22, 2020

Dr Seligman is a very charismatic professor. He presents the course in a very interesting and engaging way. I enjoyed the coursework as well as the reading. I will be delving further into the subject.

151 - 175 of 1,480 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

By Jamila A

Apr 10, 2019

As a beginner to this field of study - I thoroughly enjoyed getting the foundations of what positive psychology actually is. It opened by eyes up to the field and how it's being applied in so many areas around the world. I felt engaged and connected to material (because I'm interested in it) and also with the quizzes and assignments. Thank you!

By Alan d S O

Sep 22, 2020

This course is excellent! Not only does it provide a theoretical framework for understanding Positive Psychology. It also provides real-life interventions that demonstrate the effects of Positive Psychology. Finally, this course offers many classes with different professionals and teachers which enhances the diversity of the learning process.

By Paulette S

Aug 30, 2020

I took the course because I had only recently heard the term Positive Psychology and was curious about it. My curiosity is satisfied and I am intrigued to learn more and to incorporate the exercises taught. I rated it a 5 because even if I did not continue on this learning journey, I have learned enough to improve the quality of my own life.

By Suzanne L

Dec 22, 2018

I have studied positive psychology in depth for several years, and taken several courses of study in the subject. This course enhanced and deepened my knowledge and understanding and gave me fresh perspectives and insight. It was well structured, very informative, and gave me food for thought that I will continue to benefit from over time.

By Tamara B M

Jun 25, 2018

It was a wonderful introduction to Positive Psychology. I will continue on to the other four courses. I wish I would have known I was getting graded I would have tried harder to get 90%. Thanks to all the great instructors. I have my reading material for the next year. Any chance there is a bibliography of all the sited articles and books?

By Chloe M O

Jan 2, 2021

It was a good overview of the fundamentals of Positive Pyschology and where it is headed, which provokes thought on the fields where it could be applied and maximize. It also gives some practical positive interventions that can be used in daily life. Looking forward to taking the other courses under the Positive Psychology specialization.

By Alexis G

Aug 14, 2020

I truly enjoyed this course. It was a great introduction to the field and study of positive psychology. I would have liked to have seen Dr. Seligman’s lectures in their totality rather than broken up between weeks. I appreciated all of the video contributors as well. I look forward to continuing with more courses in this specialization!

By Ben

Aug 19, 2018

This is a fantastic course for anybody who is interested in Positive Psychology, the tools to increase well-being, and the application of Positive Psychology in various disciplines.. It provides a solid research and evidence based approach that shows the benefits of Positive Psychology for individuals, communities, and society at large.

By Evan P

Apr 22, 2018

This was my first Coursera class and I couldn't have selected a better one. Professor Seligman's lectures make me feel like I'm in the back row of the classroom since he's so engaging. This course had real world applications that are easily implemented. Thank you all who contributed to allowing me the privilege of taking this course.

By Fernando K

Jul 27, 2017

More than just a type of psychology study and application, it is an amazing philosophy of life. The course is very complete and offers high quality teachings with great professors and is totally worth of the time invested. You can get out of it not just knowing about it but most important, applying it and having clear and great results.

By WONG M H

It is a course of hope. It brings you positive emotion during you are taking the course, learning through it and finished it. I am happy I did it. Dr Seligman is a wonderful tutor. He brings me a new angle to see the future. This course is amazing with a good explanation of what positive psychology is and what we can do better with it.

By Gemma D

Oct 12, 2020

This course was so inspiring! It covered the big concepts in this pioneering field and provided excellent videos and supporting resources. The lectures felt like being at Penn University and were rich in quality and engaging. It has opened my perspective and ignited my curiosity for learning more about Positive Psychology. Thank you!

By Anna J

Oct 16, 2017

This was an excellent introductory course, which was engaging and interactive. Everybody should know about positive psychology. I found it very intriguing to explore the science of well-being and human flourishing, and I believe there is a lot of potential for its application around the world. I would definitely recommend this course.

By Alma E

This is a course that I really enjoyed! I founded inspiring and I felt it had a good balance between the lectures, reading, and also on the sharing. It made me take the time to reflect on the content, questioned myself and also review some of the lectures many times as they were very interesting and engaging. Great course. Thank you!

By DEBORAH S

Mar 29, 2018

as a non-psychology major, i totally enjoyed this course. It has changed my prospective about how I view myself and others. I particullarly paid close attention on how it is so important to look for the best in every bad situation.. because it is there. "PERMA" AND "PRAISE BE" will continue to be by motto. Thanks Dr. Seligman!!!!

By Ruchi B

Oct 14, 2019

Awesome course offered by the pioneer of Positive Psychology- Martin Seligman. Great insight and depth of knowledge are being offered through this course. I truly loved it. I will practice all the terminologies that I learned in this course and apply it to our family's everyday life so that we can be better versions of ourselves.

By Ash B

Oct 13, 2018

This course is simply excellent. You begin by learning where we have erred in history and then go on to learn about how quickly and easily we can correct this. I took this course as a pre-curser to a Life Coaching course that I want to begin next year and now I just can't wait for it to begin because of what I now know about PP!

By Srihari

Aug 26, 2017

A course that i am so glad that i took. Having being fascinated about this subject and the kind of changes that i am making in my life, this course itself has been a great positive intervention.

A big thank you to Prof Seligman and the entire UPen team along with coursera to broaden this science for the wellbeing of this world.

By Susan M M

Apr 23, 2017

I found this course to be useful and powerful in creating new (for me) perspectives in psychology. I also found it hopeful and inspiring, solutions-focused and simple. It gave a really good deal of self-focus type information - the kind that makes you want to know more and also makes you feel more grounded in your own identity.

By Marisol A

May 14, 2019

wonderful introduction to this exciting field on Psychology... I definitely learned about my personal character strengths which helped me to really view myself and what I offer the world in a different way. Additionally, I had never heard of PERMA and I loved the concept so much, I shared it with my connections on social media!

By Keren E

Apr 11, 2020

As a practitioner and avid student, I truly enjoyed this course. It takes a very interesting turn in the second week and begins to delve into the applications and future of positive psychology. These are all as promising as they are fascinating. I mean, who doesn't want to think up ways to make people and communities happier?

By Lidia N D W

Dec 2, 2017

I love to see Seligman talk, and all the good vibes and emotions about a better world. Positive Psychology is about human connectedness, hope and optimism about a better world. I loved the links, the tests, the literature and videos that was showed in this course. I saved all of them and certainly I will be back to them.

By Winona

Jul 14, 2017

I have been reading about positive psychology for a while now and this is such a great way to get a deeper dive into the actual science behind it. I liked that the course pulled in a number of different voices, stopped for reflection and allowed us to see the thoughts of people going through the course at the same time.

By Maggie H

Nov 17, 2017

Excellent course! Eye opening. The course has covered many new research findings and useful tips on how to improve well-being. It is a well balance of theoretical base and practical application.

Enjoyable lecture videos too. Prof. Martin Seligman is a great teacher to speak on behalf of the field positive psychology.

By Tracy D

Feb 4, 2018

I was very inspired by learning about the history of positive psychology and its many applications. I also love the experiential component of being tasked with doing the interventions, and enjoyed how we were able to share our experiences with one another. Looking forward to continuing with the rest of the courses!