Back to Psychological First Aid

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Psychological First Aid by Johns Hopkins University

Learn to provide psychological first aid to people in an emergency by employing the RAPID model: Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition. Utilizing the RAPID model (Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition), this specialized course provides perspectives on injuries and trauma that are beyond those physical in nature. The RAPID model is readily applicable to public health settings, the workplace, the military, faith-based organizations, mass disaster venues, and even the demands of more commonplace critical events, e.g., dealing with the psychological aftermath of accidents, robberies, suicide, homicide, or community violence. In addition, the RAPID model has been found effective in promoting personal and community resilience. Participants will increase their abilities to: - Discuss key concepts related to PFA - Listen reflectively - Differentiate benign, non-incapacitating psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions from more severe, potentially incapacitating, crisis reactions - Prioritize (triage) psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions - Mitigate acute distress and dysfunction, as appropriate - Recognize when to facilitate access to further mental health support - Practice self-care Developed in collaboration with Johns Hopkins Open Education Lab....

PG

Feb 10, 2017

A very helpful course and full of practical information for persons interfered with disaster relief and crisis intervention as this course has a well- planned syllabus and really informative vignettes

KM

Jul 20, 2018

The instructor was easy to follow, and very understanding! I have learned a lot with this course! Thank you for offering it, and I hope to see more courses on Psychology from John Hopkins University!

126 - 150 of 652 Reviews for Psychological First Aid

By Michelle S

Jun 23, 2017

This was an extremely informative and useful course. I believe the material is something all persons should learn not only for the support of those in a disaster, but to also learn and understand how to communicate with those who are experiencing all types distress. This course was well-written and the material easy to understand. It is my hope that more people are interested in the idea and implementation of PFA. It's something everyone could/will benefit from.

By Jonathan B A

May 31, 2018

I found this course to be very helpful on my journey to being a psychologist but for now I guess I'm just an

amateur psychologist but I am grateful and honored to have been a part of this course and to learn from a wonderful teacher, the knowledge I've learned from him will be put to good use in the future, I rate this course 5 stars

By Marco G

Jul 25, 2016

Exactly what I was looking for!

By David E

May 03, 2016

For me, this course was very much above average. I am overly empathetic and I'm hoping that I've learned to assess a difficult situation without becoming emotionally involved.

By Kristy G

Jan 16, 2016

One of my favourite courses on Coursera. So much so I did it twice :)

By Sangbarta C

Nov 10, 2017

It's a very good comprehensive course. The demos of what not to do, and how to do things correctly are just precise, to the point, and immensely helpful.

By Pedram M

Aug 15, 2017

An Easy to understand, systematic, pragmatic and enjoyable course.

I also recommended it for personal development.

By Roman I

Aug 25, 2017

so many thanks! i really happy to take that course!

By Mauricio A

Dec 31, 2017

It is our responsibility to look after the members of our communities. This course provides us with very useful tools to proactively respond to difficult situations our communities might face.

By Natalia E

Mar 11, 2016

Thank you, Dr. Everly and Coursera! This has been a useful and interesting course. It is very well-structured and easy to understand and everyone from real disaster workers to just a person who has everyday life, needs these skills. Thank you for great examples in "George and Gina" videos also!

By Lucija V

Dec 13, 2016

It does what is promises to do very well, it's a great introduction to PFA, but I think also useful in other life situations and I would suggest this course to anyone who would like to show more compassion towards people in everyday life and is not sure how to do so. Most importantly, however, it does introduce the state people may be in after a disaster well, and arms you with some knowledge of how to be of assistance in such situations.

By Tiffany

Dec 30, 2017

This is a short but inspiring course. It is not just handy for front-line workers, but some of the principles are also applicable to everyday communications and attending to mental health of those close friends whom I love. Also, the course has motivated me to pursue a career path or at least some volunteer experiences in a relevant field :)

By Gillian H

Jun 30, 2017

This course was very well set out and followed a very well thought out and organised systematic approach.

The presentation and media were presented in a very professional manner.

The quizzes were well thought out with clear questions and instructions and each one was preceded by a module that provided all of the information required to be able to complete each quiz successfully.

I feel that I have been well prepared for the role of a Psychological First Aid provider.

By Massimo D B

Dec 13, 2016

Interesting topics, clear explanations, great use of good example/bad example videos. The right way to start a journey into the world of psychological emergencies response

By Julie B

Apr 06, 2016

The skills learned in this class can be useful in everyday life as well as disaster situations.

By Laura G R M

May 17, 2017

Muy buen material, excelente docente.

By Marika G

Aug 21, 2017

I really like it!

By Ángela P B

May 30, 2018

Really interesting lessons, complimented by useful and helpful role-playing like videos. Great if you want a taste of what PFA is if you are a mental health professional. Easy to understand if you do not know the first thing about Psychology, as well. Would definitely

By Cesar D H

Mar 04, 2018

Magnificent!!!!!

By KITAE K

Mar 10, 2018

I'm sure the subject that you teaching would be applied in my field.

Thanks.

By Teresa H Y

Feb 04, 2018

Excellent overview of the history, need for, and how-to of psychological first aid. As a CPE (clinical pastoral education) student, I anticipate being able to apply this knowledge immediately in the hospital setting, and am grateful for the information on its utility and best practices.

By Jean-Noel L

Jun 18, 2016

Great course that will be quite helpul to me, being in M.A Clinical Psychology.

By Amelia G

Jan 03, 2018

a good introduction to PSA, providing tangible skills to take to the field

By Gargi S

Feb 09, 2018

good

By Carla H

Feb 08, 2018

Absolutely loved this course. As someone who seems to have people flock to me for advice, I felt it was really important to learn a little bit more about how to properly help them and even assess thei need for possible psychological help. This was perfect!