Back to Python Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Data Structures by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the core data structures of the Python programming language. We will move past the basics of procedural programming and explore how we can use the Python built-in data structures such as lists, dictionaries, and tuples to perform increasingly complex data analysis. This course will cover Chapters 6-10 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Excellent instructor
(503 Reviews)
Helpful assignments
(254 Reviews)

ME
Jul 18, 2019

This was a super-fun course! The materials were very easy to follow, and delivered in a very friendly and engaging manner. I highly recommend this course to anyone just getting started in programming.

PM
Oct 7, 2017

assignment 9.4 auto grader not working .\n\nLTI unable to launch.\n\nerror message: This tool should be launched from a learning system using LTI.\n\ni am using chrome on mac book air 2 and python 3.6

101 - 125 of 10,000 Reviews for Python Data Structures

By deadfish

Mar 19, 2020

It took me like 20 days to finish this course. I not only felt great taking this course, but also I felt like enjoying it. The content, the slides, the assignments is all appropriatedly arranged. Especially, Dr. Chuck is really enthusiastic and interesting, and I guess I can never forget that hilarioius graduation ceremony. Through this course, I learned some basic data structures and dealing with files, and I wish I could learn more about dealing with data and perhaps build a program without instructions. Thanks to The University of Michigan and Coursera, I really gained a lot!

By Ahsanul h K

Apr 21, 2020

This was my second course in coursera and also programming for everybody. This was a brilliant experience for me. I have come from a totally different background but because of my interest an mostly about how influential the instructor (Dr. Chuck) was and also the whole course all the assignments and the quizes helped me get through this.I will keep learning and will try my best to finsh the whole specialisation course of python as the more I'm getting in the more I'm liking python. and also the comunity the teaching stuff, the studesnts from the forum they are really helpfull.

By Laimei J

Dec 14, 2015

It was very enjoyable to learn Python in this course. I have programming experience so it was easy but the way this course was taught compared to other online classes I have taken is exceptional. It was fun and instructional. Seeing video of other students around the world and the fun that Dr. Chuck convey throughout the class made it so enjoyable. Thank you very much to Dr Chuck and all his collaborators on this course. I look forward to one day to meet Dr Chuck and personally thank you for being who he is a very giving individual and inspiring many others to do the same.

By Abhishek S

Jun 4, 2020

I liked the whole setup of the course as it perfectly matched my learning process and the instructor too was a good teacher and greatly discussed all topics in the lectures and materials.

I just felt pretty calm while learning each topic as there weren't any worries or doubts that occurred in my mind. Thanks to the instructor, Dr. Chuck, for creating such a great course.

Topics like dictionaries and tuples had created a deep impact on my skills of python as now i find them very useful to solve programming problems. The bonus videos also proved to be informative and interactive.

By Satya M

Apr 6, 2020

I have really enjoyed the course. Learning the basics of different data structures helps me appreciate all the python packages I have used before to do some quick analysis. Writing the code helped me to understand the theory better. This course gave me confidence that :

1) I can finish a course in Coursera

2) I can code. I have done coding before, but I have been away from it for more than 7 years now.

Things to improve: I personally the text editor in the assignments is a bit iffy sometimes. The same piece of code works sometimes and doesn't other times. Or may be it's just me!

By Siti J

Oct 9, 2018

I loved this course, maybe even more than the foundational course. Dr Chuck is really funny and gives good examples that help new information stick better in the mind. The mentors are also very helpful with their comments and timely in their responses. I also appreciate that previous forum posts by past students remain accessible, so we can try to find if someone else in the past has had the same problem before, so we can try to figure out how to solve our problems ourselves. I am very grateful that Dr Chuck and all else involved have taken time to teach this particular MOOC.

By Hector P

Nov 20, 2015

I found this to be a great introduction to python data structures. The way everything was explained made them easy to understand and, even as someone with a little bit of python experience, there were new things to learn. Videos and explination were all understandable and the excercises were, in my opinion, a good challenge and helped reinforce the things you learned in the lectures.

I reccomend this course to those looking to learn python and, specifically, to those who completed the first part in this 5 part course or want to learn more about lists, tuples and dictionaries.

By Jess H

Jan 3, 2019

The level of detail and varied resources in this course were great. You have access to really well-done written material in a physical or e-book, you have the course videos, which are engaging and dynamic, and the instructor is animated and "real" for lack of a better word; he explains stuff rather than just giving a demo of the capabilities of the language. And then you have quizzes and real exercises to practice. It's the exercises that really help me, because I learn by doing. These were difficult enough to provide a challenge, but not impossible or frustratingly complex.

By Muhammad Z

May 7, 2020

It was an exceptional and amazing journey, I had not expected that tutors on Coursera are that much experts, they are fluent and know what they are doing and not even single time he hesitated. Great Job, Sir if you are reading my review, I just wanted to hug you. I have a request can you please make a course on JavaScript. I am a very enthusiast of javascript, but I haven't found that much good teacher, whom I could understand. Mine concepts regarding this course are crystal cleared. Thumbs Up, I hope you stay safe and happy always. An inspired student, M.Zubair

By Patricia H W

Sep 9, 2016

I rated this class 5/5 because the instruction, content, resources, and pacing are all excellent, and this course is true to its description. Highly recommended for anyone who has taken Python for Everybody (Getting Started in Python). These two courses are a best match for someone learning their first programming language. Learning with Professor Severance is fun, in bite-sized pieces, and with just enough challenge to keep you engaged and moving forward without getting discouraged. Professor Severance has mastered teaching programming at scale. Thank you!

By عبدالحليم أ

Oct 20, 2020

At first , Thanks Dr. Chuck . I learned a lot in this course . Not only about python basics , but also about life requirements and that you should always be sociable and being sociable will improve you in many ways . Before , I thought that we don't really need to meet people to benefit . Of course , we don't meet people to benefit only . But , I always saw meeting people that is a waste of time . About the course , It is awesome and the most thing I liked is the assignments that mostly are competitive and its solution didn't come in the lectures . Thanks

By Odra G

Sep 28, 2020

Dr. Chuck makes the 2nd course easy to follow after the very first intro to Python basics. The exercises are more complex but all the info has been given to solve them. I've learned that even though we are at the very beginning of knowing a programming language we can keep going. Maybe I'll try what Dr. Chuck says and have another intro python class and when I'm more comfortable I might join a programming camp, so I can switch job. Definitely this course made clear that I like learning about programming and I'll continue learning with Coursera and Dr. Chuck.

By Mark

Oct 9, 2017

OK, things are getting real! Now you start to see the power! In terms of difficulty, the difference between this and the first course was quite big. I enjoyed it, but I made the mistake of not dedicating enough time and not doing enough extra examples. If you really want to get the most out this course and get to know python, then this course will make you realize that you're going to have to put in some time and keep it fresh. Otherwise, the list comp side of it and how to manipulate structures is not going to come easy ... trust me. Still, very cool.

By Syed S A

Jun 1, 2020

This 2nd course of Python specialization (Python Data Structure) really made me love Python and coding in general. Dr. Chuck has taught so well that literally all my doubts got clear till the end of the course. If you want to learn python than there is no better medium and course to learn it from than Python for everybody specialization. Also the teaching staff (TA) is very helpful ,all the doubts or problems that get posted on discussion forums get answered within reasonable time and they don't ignore anyone, each and everyone's posts gets responded.

By Sarah B

Jul 3, 2019

Really great course for someone who has no (or little) programming experience. It was amazing how quickly we were able to write code that actually accomplished something. Dr. Chuck is a great professor and explains the concepts very well. His passion is contagious - I'm really excited to learn more Python and more programming! At the end he also gives great tips on what to do next - how to pursue Python and computer science, how to approach getting a job, or how to use what you've learned at your current job. You have nothing to lose - take the class!

By Ihtyaz K T

Jun 14, 2020

The course is provides an excellent opportunity for newcomers who are oblivious to programming and who also, at the same time, are enthusiastic about programming (Python) and are willing to take some time off their daily lives and dedicate it to learning such a prominent programming language course. I'd like to extend my sincerest respects to Dr.Chuck (course instructor) for breaking down everything in such a simple manner for everyone's convenience. Would highly recommend that everyone, who's willing to learn Python enroll into this course.

Cheers.

By adam j

Aug 17, 2019

while there were parts of this course that I struggled with, there were really good forums(mods) to help me guide me in the right direction. while they don't give you an answer they do guide you in the right way to help you complete the assignments. I liked the pace of the course as it has broken down in very easy to understand videos.

After completing the course I felt that I had a better understanding of what was covered int he course and when looking back at my notes and some earlier video laugh at how much I have learnt over the last week or so

By arman

Apr 21, 2020

Dr Charles is really a good teacher in Python. His presentation skills are encouraging for beginners like me in this particular language and it is also enjoyable. I was struggling to learn this language and have searched for several resources online but none of them were able to make me comprehend the basics of Python. I am happy that I have come across this course taught by Dr Charles. I have already completed the first two of the specialization and hoping to continue with the remaining ones which will help me gain valuable skills in Python.

By Boris M

Oct 2, 2015

Well structured course. After completing the first course it is safe to play the video lectures at x1.5 speed and still absorb the material. The course can be completed in a day or two over a weekend. Be prepared, most of the assignments deal with parsing string data but I found it to be an excellent way to get used to syntax structure of loops and data structures. The professor works through the assignments after you have completed them and that presents a great opportunity to check the efficiency of your code compared to a professional.

By Nickson O

The instructor has made learning Python structures more enjoyable and digestible. Each exercise is a buildup of the previous knowledge. Every concept is interconnected, and as we get deeper into Python, data structures are ever more important. They are the basic building blocks. As a learner, I have discovered Python isn't as simple as the instructor has made it to look. And this is a nice thing because it keeps me going and wanting to learn further. I like the way the lecturer has focused on imparting the basics upon which I can polish.

By Tuo K

Jan 24, 2018

Very good. Two suggestions from my point of view would be: First, it would be even better if some flashes/animated films be used to illustrate the logic behind python programming. The trace of the electronic pen seems a little bit hard to catch sometimes. Also, as a learner who doesn’t live in the US, I sometimes find a few “American English” words/slangs hard to understand, for example “blast off” and “histagram”? Although I can guess what they mean, but still it would be better if more “International English” can be used in the course.

By Rebecca E G

Apr 3, 2017

As the second course in the specialization, I continue to find the material covered to be useful and fairly easy to learn. Between the first and second course, I feel like both courses were able to lay and build upon a foundation of knowledge with each chapter covered. I did find the second course to be a little more difficult, but one would expect this with the addition of more code learned. However, I still felt like the graded exercises weren't too difficult to complete as a beginner to Python. Can't wait to enroll in the next course!

By Moataz A B

Apr 22, 2020

Before this course, I have had many bad experiences in learning coding, so I hated codingbut while I am surfing the internet and I read about image processing, machine learning, ...etcI found me interested in these fields but I found that I have to learn Pythonso I decided to take this coursenow,I love Python, the instructor (Dr. Chuck) teachs python in very simple way and he is amazingnow, I can say that I took the first step to start in my goal to learn more advanced application of Python

Thank you Dr. Chuck for this amazing experience

By Nicholas D

Sep 28, 2020

Chuck is an amazing professor. It's engaging and fun. I have had sooo many professors that make you fall asleep, but this guy is just amazing.

The course is easy if you have done anything with coding before and is a good simple starting point for everyone that hasn't done any coding yet and wants a first good introduction to it.

The course plus some googling helped me write a script to automate a pretty tedious task at work. And that's exactly what's so amazing about it. Python can be used for anything and any industry, job, etc.

By Mah F K

Apr 23, 2020

The professor explains very well, especially for beginners, to understand the concepts, and picks out on areas where we usually mess up the most. Areas that beginners wouldn't be able to notice if no one directly told us about, and will spend another few hours trying to debug the codes. The slides are also prepared very well, it helped visualise the output of the problem we are trying to solve. Overall, will definitely recommend this course to beginners or those that need a refresher on the basics and data structures of Python.