Back to Python Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Data Structures by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the core data structures of the Python programming language. We will move past the basics of procedural programming and explore how we can use the Python built-in data structures such as lists, dictionaries, and tuples to perform increasingly complex data analysis. This course will cover Chapters 6-10 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Excellent instructor
(503 Reviews)
Helpful assignments
(254 Reviews)

ME

Jul 19, 2019

This was a super-fun course! The materials were very easy to follow, and delivered in a very friendly and engaging manner. I highly recommend this course to anyone just getting started in programming.

DA

Nov 10, 2017

I feel incredible that I knew almost nothing about programming just a month ago. Now I have done two of the courses of the specialization and I can actually understand other basic codes. Great course!

176 - 200 of 10,000 Reviews for Python Data Structures

By Oxana

Nov 09, 2015

Great Course for beginners, without any programming knowledge.

I am suggesting to take this course before you will do any other courses. This course helped me to learn on other python courses, which were overestimated as "for beginners" but needed already some programming knowledge. In this course all assignments are based on learned material (based on lecture). I am glad that I took this course first.

By Jithin J

Jun 13, 2020

The course of Python Data Structures taken by Sir Charles Russell Severance (University of Michigan) via coursera was very informative and helpful for me to get started with python. The tests and assignments helped a lot. The concepts were explained very well and I had lots of fun taking this course. Thank you Sir Charles Russell Severance, Coursera and University of Michigan for the wonderful class!

By James M B

Sep 21, 2016

This is my 2nd course in the series and it steps up the game a little. You learn more about the capabilities of Python while causing you to think a bit more than the first course. I enjoyed it thoroughly and Dr. Chuck made it a worth while challenge. Thanks for another excellent course and I'm looking forward to the 3rd chapter of the series Course 3 - Using Python To Access Web Data. Thank You!!

By 施恒学

Apr 16, 2020

Thank you so much, Chuck. I stronly agreed with what you said on the graduation ceremony. As a chemistry major graduate student, you know, only chemistry skills cannot give me enough competition on job market. I would really say thank you for you and this course. I hope after several years, I will get great job and can use the python skills you taught me, and after that, I will tell you. I promise!

By Ashwin S

Feb 07, 2020

First of all a hearty thanks to Coursera and the University of Michigan for providing me with such an a wonderful opportunity to learn python data structures. File handling in C language always seemed to be a daunting task for me and i truly hated it. But thanks to professor Chuck and the amazing simplicity yet much more effective python language i was able to overcome this challenge data handling.

By Rajashree C

Dec 10, 2015

Excellent course! I am also doing a course on bioinformatics algorithms and the code challenges in that course were very easy to program using Python as the language! It feels great to actually be writing programs that have some real-life impact! All thanks to Dr. Chuck for his wonderful way of teaching and his beautifully written book. I am definitely going in for the next course in this series!

By Kyle G

Apr 10, 2020

Took Python Data Structures immediately following Python for Everybody. Loved both courses!! Even as a novice, you can knock each out in a couple of days. It felt really good to struggle through some of the coding exercises and finally reach an "aha!" moment, and then go back and improve my code with the skills I learned soon thereafter. If you are interested in coding at all, I highly recommend.

By Vikas V

May 26, 2019

It was absolutely an amazing experiance learning from coursera as i can list down all the pros of enrolling in this course

i.e starting ,from short videos in different chunks to fitting quiz at the right time and

adding fun videos to get rid of boredness,it seems to have been most organized online learning platform I have ever interacted with.

Many thanks to the Coursera team...you guys rock !!

By Swarup

Feb 19, 2019

Very informative and nice course. With Dr Chuck learning never is a boring experience but it is fun learning. I did not find data structures that easy or may be requires more practice but Dr. Chuck made it very easy for me. Appreciate efforts taken by him and Coursera in bringing forth this course and making it easy for the entire learning community. Thank you very much Chuck Sir and Coursera!!!

By Aditya S J

Mar 28, 2020

Learning a programming language could not be easier and enjoyable than this. Prof. Chuck, He is the best teacher I have ever got. The way he explains through the program is the best possible way to understand it clearly. I would really recommend everyone to take this course if you are still afraid of programming languages this course is for you. Thank you, Coursera and University of Michigan.

By ARJUN B

Jun 01, 2020

I have never such a approach to teaching programming language. It is a best course series so far. Never seen learning prog. lang. can be so easy. I remember in my first semester of bachelor's degree, they taught me c programming which i found very complex to the newbie like me at that time. I think education system in India should take more flexible and dynamic approach to teach students.

By Maytat L

Dec 10, 2019

This course is awesome for a total beginner of Python. The instructor was very enthusiastic, encouraging you to take on the challenges. His teaching was very simple and fun to follow. Each week only took 15-30 min to watch videos. The rest depended on how fast you could get the assignment completed. If you were struck with a problem and posted in the forum, the staff replied really fast.

By Xiaoya L

Jul 29, 2017

The content taught in this course is more complicated than the first one - getting started. I did sometimes struggle with the assignments, since I didn't have the habit of reviewing the lectures and materials after each week. Have to pick up the book and work harder now! Although challenging, the course is still interesting to me, and I pretty enjoy the sense of accomplishment in the end!

By Amar D

Jun 10, 2020

So, when I started with the first course, I started gaining more and more interest because of Dr. Chuck's wonderful teaching methodology. This is really a great course. Dr. Chuck is a great man with a wonderful teaching technique. I wish I could meet or talk with Dr. Chuck and thank him for the courses and learn more new things from him. He is really a great teacher. Thank you, Dr. Chuck

By Janet L

Apr 14, 2020

As a former Java Developer for BI apps who is transitioning to a Data Scientist/Data Analyst role, I would say Python definitely makes it easier and more efficient to develop BI/ETL apps. But equally important is an instructor who delivers the lessons in an easy-to-follow manner while focusing on the real world use cases. Thank you Dr. Chuck and your teaching assistants for a great job!

By Sergio B

Oct 02, 2017

Excelente curso. El material visual es sencillo, bien diseñado y explicado de forma organizada y entendible. Charles imparte la materia con pasión y de manera creativa y simple, de forma que es fácil para programadores novatos comprender la materia. Programadores intermedios/avanzados quizás encuentren el curso un poco lento o repetitivo en ciertas etapas, pero interesante igualmente.

By wu66502

Sep 08, 2017

I really enjoy Dr.Chunk's courses.

I have no basic of programing,I am a radiologist,in order to be prepared for the AI times,I decided to learn someting about programing.

The certificate is much easy to get compared with the ML course,and I think it is a good fedback so that I can maintain my passion on learning the coureses.

All the best to Dr.Chunk! Keep learning my fellow classmates.

By Jason K

Jan 08, 2017

Excellent course. It will take your newbie python skills to the next level and teach you lists, dictionaries and tuples (all python data structures). I found the assignments to be challenging but not hard. Spent about 2 to 3 hours per week (actually, I crushed the course over the Xmas holidays and did the whole thing in a week doing about 2 to 3 hours each day. Loved it!) Good luck!!

By Christopher V

Jan 28, 2016

This class provides an introduction to all of the 'containers' used in Python to store and pass data. Charles Severance continues to provide excellent instruction on how these tools can be implemented and what they are capable of. Upon finishing this class, the student should know all of the basic commands used for building a program, along with simple techniques and implementations.

By Pronab D

It was more challenging than the first course but well-paced. I may have to review some of the basic things I'm not clear about. So I would advice not to speed through the course if you are complete beginner. I had to rush because I'm using Coursera for campus for free and I need to learn so much more in short duration. If you have no reason to rush, please don't rush the course.

By Gesuri M L

May 04, 2020

Excelente curso dando continuación al primer curso. Cuenta con tareas mas retadoras y que se complican más y más al ir avanzando por el curso. Me gustaría que dieran un poco mas sobre como hacer gráficas, algunas cuestiones de matemáticas, como funciones trigonométricas, y ese tipo de cuestiones que durante alguna carrera o posgrado pueden ayudar mucho a realizar muchas cosas más.

By David A E G

Mar 07, 2020

An amazing course, in which my preliminary knowledge of Python Structures, was reinforced and updated. Some gaps were covered, thus setting a corrected path towards Python dominance. A very recommended course. Plus, I really enjoyed the extra material also (under the label of "Office Hours with Dr. Chuck"), and really loved and smiled at the "Garduation Ceremony" at the very end.

By Geoffrey P

Apr 20, 2019

This is the next big step in learning basic Python programming. After the first course covers such important topics as "data types" this course continues with "data structures" which is how data is stored, recalled, and processed. This is crucial to understand before one tries to process information and gets back all types of traceback errors, "NoneType" and empty set responses.

By Ahmed A

Oct 25, 2017

In this course, you will be gaining a great amount of experience with Python in so smooth and easy way, the content is so interesting throughout the whole course. It will be so rewarding moment when you can read every line of the code that has been displayed by Dr. Chuck in first video of first course.

Thanks to Dr. Chuck and his excellent team, you will have fun during learning.

By iphyer

Dec 28, 2016

This is a basic courses of Python. I have to admit that due to my experience in Python, I complete it in a single afternoon but the courses still gives a lot knowledge of Python through the bonus videos like author of JavaScript or JQuery, this is more helpful for me to grasp a sense of computing. And still, if you are new to Python, this course is definitely the one you needed.