Back to Python Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Data Structures by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the core data structures of the Python programming language. We will move past the basics of procedural programming and explore how we can use the Python built-in data structures such as lists, dictionaries, and tuples to perform increasingly complex data analysis. This course will cover Chapters 6-10 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Excellent instructor

(503 Reviews)

Helpful assignments

(254 Reviews)

AC

Jun 18, 2020

Great course for pyhton. Loved this course and enjoyed it. Thanks to Dr.Chuck. If anyone who want to take a course which is well explained and fun for python learning, then Hey!!! this is your course.

SV

Dec 7, 2020

Excellent explanation. Professor Charles kept the course from being monotonous. Learnt in depth about reading from file, sorting dictionaries and appending lists. Looking forward to learn more courses

126 - 150 of 10,000 Reviews for Python Data Structures

By Odra G

Sep 28, 2020

Dr. Chuck makes the 2nd course easy to follow after the very first intro to Python basics. The exercises are more complex but all the info has been given to solve them. I've learned that even though we are at the very beginning of knowing a programming language we can keep going. Maybe I'll try what Dr. Chuck says and have another intro python class and when I'm more comfortable I might join a programming camp, so I can switch job. Definitely this course made clear that I like learning about programming and I'll continue learning with Coursera and Dr. Chuck.

By Bill F

Mar 19, 2021

The lectures are excellent, details are fully explained and demonstrated, the line pf progression is logical and I really enjoyed the flexibility of being able to go back over those bits that I found I neded further work on. The quiz structure is great and I was able to use the as a learning cycle. I would suggest that the quiz ethos could be extended to sub parts of the teaching so as to provide an enhanced learning prop.

What I did find awkward was the process of being able to resume activity after a break. Perhaps this area could be made more facile?

By Mark L

Oct 9, 2017

OK, things are getting real! Now you start to see the power! In terms of difficulty, the difference between this and the first course was quite big. I enjoyed it, but I made the mistake of not dedicating enough time and not doing enough extra examples. If you really want to get the most out this course and get to know python, then this course will make you realize that you're going to have to put in some time and keep it fresh. Otherwise, the list comp side of it and how to manipulate structures is not going to come easy ... trust me. Still, very cool.

By Syed S A

Jun 1, 2020

This 2nd course of Python specialization (Python Data Structure) really made me love Python and coding in general. Dr. Chuck has taught so well that literally all my doubts got clear till the end of the course. If you want to learn python than there is no better medium and course to learn it from than Python for everybody specialization. Also the teaching staff (TA) is very helpful ,all the doubts or problems that get posted on discussion forums get answered within reasonable time and they don't ignore anyone, each and everyone's posts gets responded.

By Sarah B

Jul 3, 2019

Really great course for someone who has no (or little) programming experience. It was amazing how quickly we were able to write code that actually accomplished something. Dr. Chuck is a great professor and explains the concepts very well. His passion is contagious - I'm really excited to learn more Python and more programming! At the end he also gives great tips on what to do next - how to pursue Python and computer science, how to approach getting a job, or how to use what you've learned at your current job. You have nothing to lose - take the class!

By Ihtyaz K T

Jun 14, 2020

The course is provides an excellent opportunity for newcomers who are oblivious to programming and who also, at the same time, are enthusiastic about programming (Python) and are willing to take some time off their daily lives and dedicate it to learning such a prominent programming language course. I'd like to extend my sincerest respects to Dr.Chuck (course instructor) for breaking down everything in such a simple manner for everyone's convenience. Would highly recommend that everyone, who's willing to learn Python enroll into this course.

Cheers.

By adam j

Aug 17, 2019

while there were parts of this course that I struggled with, there were really good forums(mods) to help me guide me in the right direction. while they don't give you an answer they do guide you in the right way to help you complete the assignments. I liked the pace of the course as it has broken down in very easy to understand videos.

After completing the course I felt that I had a better understanding of what was covered int he course and when looking back at my notes and some earlier video laugh at how much I have learnt over the last week or so

By arman

Apr 21, 2020

Dr Charles is really a good teacher in Python. His presentation skills are encouraging for beginners like me in this particular language and it is also enjoyable. I was struggling to learn this language and have searched for several resources online but none of them were able to make me comprehend the basics of Python. I am happy that I have come across this course taught by Dr Charles. I have already completed the first two of the specialization and hoping to continue with the remaining ones which will help me gain valuable skills in Python.

By Boris M

Oct 2, 2015

Well structured course. After completing the first course it is safe to play the video lectures at x1.5 speed and still absorb the material. The course can be completed in a day or two over a weekend. Be prepared, most of the assignments deal with parsing string data but I found it to be an excellent way to get used to syntax structure of loops and data structures. The professor works through the assignments after you have completed them and that presents a great opportunity to check the efficiency of your code compared to a professional.

By Nickson O

The instructor has made learning Python structures more enjoyable and digestible. Each exercise is a buildup of the previous knowledge. Every concept is interconnected, and as we get deeper into Python, data structures are ever more important. They are the basic building blocks. As a learner, I have discovered Python isn't as simple as the instructor has made it to look. And this is a nice thing because it keeps me going and wanting to learn further. I like the way the lecturer has focused on imparting the basics upon which I can polish.

By Tuo K

Jan 24, 2018

Very good. Two suggestions from my point of view would be: First, it would be even better if some flashes/animated films be used to illustrate the logic behind python programming. The trace of the electronic pen seems a little bit hard to catch sometimes. Also, as a learner who doesn’t live in the US, I sometimes find a few “American English” words/slangs hard to understand, for example “blast off” and “histagram”? Although I can guess what they mean, but still it would be better if more “International English” can be used in the course.

By Rebecca E G

Apr 4, 2017

As the second course in the specialization, I continue to find the material covered to be useful and fairly easy to learn. Between the first and second course, I feel like both courses were able to lay and build upon a foundation of knowledge with each chapter covered. I did find the second course to be a little more difficult, but one would expect this with the addition of more code learned. However, I still felt like the graded exercises weren't too difficult to complete as a beginner to Python. Can't wait to enroll in the next course!

By Moataz A B

Apr 22, 2020

Before this course, I have had many bad experiences in learning coding, so I hated codingbut while I am surfing the internet and I read about image processing, machine learning, ...etcI found me interested in these fields but I found that I have to learn Pythonso I decided to take this coursenow,I love Python, the instructor (Dr. Chuck) teachs python in very simple way and he is amazingnow, I can say that I took the first step to start in my goal to learn more advanced application of Python

Thank you Dr. Chuck for this amazing experience

By Neil N

May 11, 2021

Thoroughly enjoyed the course. I had taken an introductory computer science course from MIT on EdX in 2018. Having retired, I dont use Python on a daily basis. I wanted to refresh my Python skills relating to data structures. This course was perfect! It is an excellent course for anyone who wants to learn Python. Assignments are very practical. Chuck, the teacher, is very friendly and enthusiastic. The textbook is affordable. All in all, it is an ideal course for beginners, who may be anxious about learning a programming language.

By Nicholas D

Sep 28, 2020

Chuck is an amazing professor. It's engaging and fun. I have had sooo many professors that make you fall asleep, but this guy is just amazing.

The course is easy if you have done anything with coding before and is a good simple starting point for everyone that hasn't done any coding yet and wants a first good introduction to it.

The course plus some googling helped me write a script to automate a pretty tedious task at work. And that's exactly what's so amazing about it. Python can be used for anything and any industry, job, etc.

By Mah F K

Apr 23, 2020

The professor explains very well, especially for beginners, to understand the concepts, and picks out on areas where we usually mess up the most. Areas that beginners wouldn't be able to notice if no one directly told us about, and will spend another few hours trying to debug the codes. The slides are also prepared very well, it helped visualise the output of the problem we are trying to solve. Overall, will definitely recommend this course to beginners or those that need a refresher on the basics and data structures of Python.

By Gautham G S

Aug 2, 2017

This course is amazing and teaches some really cool stuff that you can do with data structures. There are three basic data structures that the course touches on: lists, dictionaries, and tuples. In addition, the chapter on files puts together pieces of information that you learned in the previous course on getting started with Python. What makes this course fun is that it provides the right amount of theoretical information with contextual examples to help illustrate the concepts. Overall, I highly recommend taking this course.

By Stefan C

Oct 18, 2016

Short lectures, good notes, and the assignments and quiz ensure you understand the material very well. Although it was more difficult than part 1, I still found everything very easy to digest and understand. Would definitely recommend to beginners or someone looking to learn programming in Python. For a more in depth general understanding of Computer Science, Take CS50 on EDX. That course is very challenging. I'm taking both at the same time and although different languages (C and Python), they serve as a nice counter balance.

By Brian D H I

Sep 10, 2020

The course is great and Dr. Chuck is incredible. I started the course with high hopes, trying to learn something during the pandemic and completely fell in love with programming, I'm an undergrad physics student and although I love physics more than programming I feel like this is a path I want to keep pursuing, I'm sure that what I've learned and will learn will be extremely useful in my field, thanks Dr. Chuck, thanks for introducing me to the world of programming an giving the initial tools to finally get started.

By Dave K

Apr 16, 2019

Very clear. The thing that separated this from other python is that he shows non-trivial uses of the code, so when you learn about things, you understand how and why they are used, not just the syntax. For example, I've taken a couple intro courses that were not as good as this. I knew what a tupple was, but there was never a really good explanation of why they would be used, and that limited my understanding of them. There were concrete use cases for this and all other content. I can't recommend this course enough!

By Mingjing X

Dec 1, 2020

this course can expand your horizon after you finished the former course to get you started, and the Dr Chuck is still as fun as the started course. Thank you Prof Chuck and Coursera, I would continue to learn the series of courses and learn Python, the elegant and cool language all my life, thank you Dr Chuck for leading me to this interesting Python world! I hope i would be in your next bonus hours hhhh! Sure i would not forget to take my certification with me and am waiting for your signing on it. Thanks professor!

By Giriraj K

Oct 31, 2018

This is the second course in the Python for Everybody specialization. The course is really structured for beginning programmers, but programmers experienced in other languages will find it useful as well.Dr. Severance (Dr. Chuck) does an excellent job of making the concepts clear and understandable. The exercises included in the course are somewhat limited, however. I strongly recommend using outside activities (Dr. Chuck provides a few sources) to reinforce basic syntax and methods, as you will be using them often.

By Karen K

Nov 18, 2020

If you like to learn step by step python, do this course, I highly recommend.

I struggled A LOT with the assignments put I kept trying until I figured it out. I can't thank Dr. Chuck enough for making these courses. Although I still feel like I a newbie, which I guess you are after just two courses (and no programming experience before), the way he presents new topics makes me wish all professors would have a little Dr. Chuck in them. University life would be better in every way, if one has Dr. Chuck as a professor.

By Jean-Pierre F

Oct 24, 2020

Amazing course ! After I took the first course of this series ("Programming for everybody"), I felt a bit bored because I wasn't able to find the real efficacity of what I was learning. And like Dr.Charles Rusell said, this is the beginning of our Python journey, and I am really grateful for him and especially for the University of Michigan as well as to Coursera to let me have this opportunity. Now I feel that I've really learned something that will be useful for my future career and for my hobbies. Thanks Again !

By Brooke H

Jul 11, 2020

I learned a lot from this course. Between paying attention to indentations and understanding why certain lines of code need to exist to make the proper output happen. I absolutely love Dr. Chuck and the staff (specifically Tamara Brunnock). I really enjoy that the mentoring provided helps push your thought process to the extreme and allows you to actually learn and understand whatever it is you're struggling with. I love this course, I love the people and I'm super happy that I was able to accomplish what I did.