Back to Python Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Data Structures by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the core data structures of the Python programming language. We will move past the basics of procedural programming and explore how we can use the Python built-in data structures such as lists, dictionaries, and tuples to perform increasingly complex data analysis. This course will cover Chapters 6-10 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Excellent instructor
(503 Reviews)
Helpful assignments
(254 Reviews)

AC
Jun 18, 2020

Great course for pyhton. Loved this course and enjoyed it. Thanks to Dr.Chuck. If anyone who want to take a course which is well explained and fun for python learning, then Hey!!! this is your course.

ME
Jul 18, 2019

This was a super-fun course! The materials were very easy to follow, and delivered in a very friendly and engaging manner. I highly recommend this course to anyone just getting started in programming.

126 - 150 of 10,000 Reviews for Python Data Structures

By Jean-Pierre F

Oct 24, 2020

Amazing course ! After I took the first course of this series ("Programming for everybody"), I felt a bit bored because I wasn't able to find the real efficacity of what I was learning. And like Dr.Charles Rusell said, this is the beginning of our Python journey, and I am really grateful for him and especially for the University of Michigan as well as to Coursera to let me have this opportunity. Now I feel that I've really learned something that will be useful for my future career and for my hobbies. Thanks Again !

By Brooke H

Jul 11, 2020

I learned a lot from this course. Between paying attention to indentations and understanding why certain lines of code need to exist to make the proper output happen. I absolutely love Dr. Chuck and the staff (specifically Tamara Brunnock). I really enjoy that the mentoring provided helps push your thought process to the extreme and allows you to actually learn and understand whatever it is you're struggling with. I love this course, I love the people and I'm super happy that I was able to accomplish what I did.

By Ariel M d A J

Jul 1, 2020

Great course! I've just finished it. I did the one before this as well, and I intend on keep going with the specialization in Coursera. I learned a lot in this course and already was able to apply what i learned in a "real world problem" (or rather a project of mine). It teaches the basics very well and has a lot of exercises in just the right complexity for being able to apply everything learned without feeling lost nor feeling like it's too simple. I highly recommend it if you want to get started with Python!

By Amanie P

Nov 14, 2016

A very wonderful follow up to the first course in this specialization. Each topic is presented in a way that is clear to understand. Assignments increase slightly in difficulty, but are still very do-able. And the graduation ceremony at the end is a nice touch as well. Overall, very satisfied with this specialization so far. Feel like I've got a good handle on fundamental programming concepts now, and am excited to continue on to the next course! Thanks so much to everyone who makes these courses possible!

By Sai H

Jun 23, 2020

To be very frank, I was dubious about concepts of python,which I gathered from many other python teaching platforms, when I was enrolling this course.I already had taken an introductory course of python before from the same course provider. Mr : Charles is indeed an excellent teacher. I find it relatively simple and easily understandable, when he explains the concepts . He is being crystal clear in his teachings and I would like to thank him for that. Very well explained and helped me a lot. Thanks a lot sir

By Mohd A

Oct 25, 2019

The Python Data Structures course run by Dr. Charles Severance has been informative, instructive and overall just great. Having tried to learn Python from a book before and had trouble with it I decided to start Dr. Chuck's course, which I can say has really paid off. Dr Chuck provides a casual yet very educational way of teaching and teaches/guides you through every step of learning the fundamentals of Python programming.Overall a fantastic course and I hope to do more of Dr. Chuck's courses in the future!

By Thomas H

Jun 23, 2019

Again, Dr. Chuck has given a fantastic extension of the introduction into Python. In this course we learn the basics of actually managing some simple data - the mind begins to tick over with possibilities. The course is delivered in a fun and lighthearted manner, with examples and anecdotes, and presented in a manner that is engaging and motivating for those who are taking this course online. Definitely a fantastic course and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to making the jump into coding and Python.

By SHITAL P

May 16, 2020

First of all I would like to thanks Dr chuck for such a wonderful graduation ceremony.

This course is wonderful. I am a mechanical engineer, doing phd. Machine learning is a part of my phd work,so i started learning python programming. Before joining the course i was thinking that python might very difficult and i was do not having any programming backgound, but Dr chuck made it so easy. Thank you coursera for this course. Its a wonderful opportunity to learn python on coursera by Dr chuck.

all the best

By Antonio S

Nov 17, 2016

This course is a little bit tougher and tedious than the first one within the specialization. This is due to the contents themselves, which are basic and a bit boring. However, they are quite important since are the building blocks for future tools and apps to be developed using Python. Luckily, Dr. Chuck makes it quite easy and bearable, as always. So it is not difficult at all to complete the course (Dr Chuck rules!). So, you should have already signed up for the course. Came on, you are running late!

By Bikash D

May 31, 2019

The course is very good for someone starting out Python programming. The course is well structured and the quizzes and programming assignment are based on what is taught in the class.

The course talks about inbuilt data structure in Python such as strings, lists, dictionary and tuples.

At the end of every week there is a Bonus Section, which is fun. The conversation with Rasmus Lerdorf (inventor of PHP), Brendan Eich (Javascript) , John Resig (JQuery) and Douglas Crockford (JSON) is simply awesome.

By Jiaxin W

Aug 30, 2016

The course is so awesome! As usual, concepts are very well explained by using good examples. I have also taken Dr.Chuck's Python for Everybody course. I am a beginner in learning Python and have some programming experience from my school's class. Honestly these two courses together have helped me most in understanding and using Python. I have also taken some other Python courses but these two really are the best for me. You can start from scratch and then build up step by step. Strongly recommend!

By Martynas V

Apr 16, 2020

Wow. The whole course was awesome! I really like the hands-on approach you chose to build this course around. I completed several Bootcamp, but I find;t even know how to open a file and create something valuable. But now I know how to read files, parse them, extract data, sort it and print as valuable information. The end of this course was absolutely amazing - I was watching the graduation ceremony with a wide smile on my face thinking how lucky I am having a chance to learn from Professor Chuck.

By Mounika G

May 22, 2018

Python data structures is an excellent course that i would recommend, if any one is interested in learning python. Each and every topic was clearly explained by Dr. Charles Severance.Each week has an assignment which provides a good practice for what we learn in that week .I would most likely recommend this course to everyone.Also, I appreciate Tamara Brunnock and other teaching staff help in clarifying quick questions in assignments. I committed to complete the 5 course specialization of Python

By Edward F

May 31, 2017

I took the Python Specialization, which included this course, so I'm going to provide the same review for each of the component courses.

I think this is an excellent course for beginning programmers. Python is a great language for someone starting out - easy to learn - with a lot of power available for more advanced projects (e.g., machine learning).

But, most of all, you have to love Dr. Serverance. I can't think of a more entertaining and enjoyable person to teach programming. Thanks, Dr. Chuck.

By Rahul R

Dec 24, 2015

Great experience as a hobbyist. My first Coursera course that I actually managed to complete. Graded Assignments are very good, they test a student in most areas and probe alternate ways of writing code.

Professor is great, love the tea toast and the graduation hat :). Thank you Professor Severance for this wonderful course.

Only one feedback: The Quizzes are way too easy and in most cases doesn't require any critical thinking on the part of the student. The complexity needs to be increased a bit.

By Fangmin X

Jul 7, 2020

It's an awesome class, although got stuck in the experiences for much of time. And the discussion forum is not very helpful, since everyone's strategy is very different and there were not similar to what I encountered. And not allowed to post codes is totally understood, but didn't find a good way to communicate with the TA without posting my codes. Hope there is a way to solve this. In spite of what I wrote, I've learned a lot from the class, Thank you very much to Dr. Chuck and the TA!

By Jingbin X

Mar 31, 2017

Dr. Chuck is the most outstanding professor I have ever seen. He is very kind and patient. The course contains the basic algorithm and data structures in Python. Although it will sounds very difficult to get involved in, I feel very comfortable to watch the lecture and finish the quiz and assignments. This course is very helpful for me to develop the big picture of programming. I look forward to finish the series of Python course instructed by Dr. Chuck. I really appreciate his guidance.

By Sartaj J C

Apr 5, 2020

Python is my second Programming Language, after Java. And after doing the two courses, I am pretty confident about the fact that this is now my Favorite programming language. The course was amazing, fun, informative and very helpful. It took me two days (6-7 hours in total) to complete this course. I could manage to stick to it because it was fun and easy. It covered the essentials quite adequately. I look forward to complete more such courses and start working on projects using Python.

By Keith M

Dec 14, 2015

Dr. Chuck's Python sequence here on Coursera is a MUST TAKE for anyone interested in programming. In the second course, I found the content much more applicable to the kinds of data problem solving that I encounter in my work and understanding how to read files of data and turn those into usable data structures to manipulate the information found within is invaluable regardless of your profession.

Keep up the great work and I am looking forward to taking more courses in this sequence!

By Henloy A

Apr 28, 2018

Dr. Chuck is my new favorite teacher. This course is very engaging. I had no prior knowledge of programming but I always wanted to understand how it all works. I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into making these courses. Dr. Chuck makes it easy to understand by breaking it down to the lowest possible levels so even a novice like me could eventually understand and create codes of my own. I definitely would recommend this course to my friends and to all who want to learn.

By Jeff N

Feb 7, 2016

Outstanding Course for a newby. All about programming. Lectures and problems are clear and relate directly to the subject not related topics like statistics and other disciplines which add nothing to the Python and Python programming focus. Dr. Severance has built a great specialization here. Problems can be challenging but doable within the time frame represented by the course description (give or take a couple hours on some of the more challenging ones. I've learned alot! Thanks

By Jonathan L

Aug 20, 2019

It is great to go over so many details of Python data structures, learning about how they are regularly used, and some of the caveats of using them, such as learning what kinds of methods each structure has, and how they produce sometimes different datatypes as output. The work was not exhausting, but yet was still challenging. I think the lessons are well designed so that they don't take a large amount of time but still include several concepts at once that need to be balanced.

By Atreya D

Apr 28, 2020

This course has been one of the best courses i have ever taken on Coursera. The professor was so motivating and cheerful that i was able to complete the course in a span of 5 days, it gave me such a level of confidence regarding my programming abilities that my college wasn't able to give in 3 years. The course content and the problems are top notch for a novice programmer. I'm really looking forward to doing more courses from University of Michigan under Prof.Chuck. Thank You.

By Md. S R

Jul 1, 2020

Dr. Chuck has been my favorite teacher. I have taken plan to finish all the courses. I didn't see yet any teacher like him in my whole life. He teaches students with fun. Needless to say that no teachers beat him. He is a fantastic man. This course seemed to me awesome, I enjoyed it a lot. I recommend everyone to take this course at least if you are in run out of time. But, the first course of Python Everybody (Specialization) should be taken to understand this course clearly!

By Ashutosh K

Dec 12, 2018

Thanks everybody from "Coursera and Michigan" for this course.Special thanks to Dr.Chuck.

I did programming in C/C++ in my college days back in 2003.Latter i joined job in telecommunication service industry,where programming skill was not required.

In quest to change my carrier I thought of learning PYTHON.Initially I was little worried,will I be able to complete the course, as I was not good at programming.But later realized this is even suited for not so student like me.