Back to Python Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Data Structures by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the core data structures of the Python programming language. We will move past the basics of procedural programming and explore how we can use the Python built-in data structures such as lists, dictionaries, and tuples to perform increasingly complex data analysis. This course will cover Chapters 6-10 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Excellent instructor
(503 Reviews)
Helpful assignments
(254 Reviews)

AC
Jun 18, 2020

Great course for pyhton. Loved this course and enjoyed it. Thanks to Dr.Chuck. If anyone who want to take a course which is well explained and fun for python learning, then Hey!!! this is your course.

ME
Jul 18, 2019

This was a super-fun course! The materials were very easy to follow, and delivered in a very friendly and engaging manner. I highly recommend this course to anyone just getting started in programming.

26 - 50 of 10,000 Reviews for Python Data Structures

By Anurag D

Jul 24, 2020

Excellent explanation. Professor Charles kept the course from being monotonous. Learnt in depth about reading from file, sorting dictionaries and appending lists. Looking forward to learn more courses

By Aditya A

Jul 26, 2019

Absolutely awesome course. Dr. Chuck has earned my first internship earning me around 150$ per month at the age of 18. I'm now a python trainer myself at a small organisation.

By Emma隋薰

Nov 8, 2019

Assignments are harder than the examples in the lecture. The TA doesn't help much. The TA is wasting my time and driving me crazy.Whenever I ask a question, the TA answers like: why did you put blabla into blabla? But this still makes me confusing, he didn't answer why this is wrong, and what to do to fix it.

By Akki P R R

Apr 9, 2020

I just love Mr. Charles. I honestly appreciate the effort he put into making the graduation video. Truly encouraging students to learn more was really moving. Thanks so much for this course, Charles.

By Alex B

Oct 7, 2016

I really love the way Dr Chuck is teaching. It is incredibly clear and you never get bored even if each lecture is over 20 minutes long. After each lecture you do feel like you've become an expert in that topic.

However, the course is very diluted.... Only 4-5 lectures over 7 weeks is too little content, especially if you are to pay the $79 required for certification. Each week contains a lot of videos that, although being interesting, are not directly relevant to the course. I finished the whole thing in 2 days ^^

By Vladimir C

Mar 25, 2020

Not enough exercise unfortunately + no correction of the assignments!

I think as well that the video format is not always great, it makes it difficult to find specific content in a course

By Minhao S

Jun 29, 2019

content is good ,but teaching staff are helpless

By Ester N

Jul 28, 2016

Way too expensive for its contents

By Frederik J E

Jan 24, 2017

Instructor, Dr. Chuck, is terrific. However, assignments are incredibly difficult. You are supposed to spend no matter than a few hours a week on the course. I spent over 100 hours alone on the assignments. The mentors that are supposed to help you did not help at all. Very poorly put together second module that does not prepare you to complete the assignments

By Chaobin Y

Apr 5, 2017

The introduction is nice, but the problem is the homework design. If homework doesn't cover too much of what people learnt in class, it is easy to forget materials in class.

By Limin ( L

Oct 6, 2015

Dr. Chuck is the most encouraging and entertaining teacher I have ever met!!! He really makes learning about computer and programming easy and fun! I really enjoyed his lectures and I cannot believe learning programming can be such a pleasure!

Most importantly, Dr. Chuck intentionally included many mistakes in his teaching materials. As a self-taught programmer who has struggled on one's own, I believe this is the most valuable part of the lectures. The students get to understand from the very beginning how to read error messages and tracebacks, how to debug, how not to be intimidated by mistakes and failures, and how to become a confident programmer. This should be THE teaching model for programming in any language!

Thank you, Dr. Chuck! And I look forward to learning more from you in our follow-up courses!

By Gercino A N J

Dec 3, 2016

I am very happy to have finished this course. I learned a lot from him. I did not like Python. I thought it was not interesting to learn this language, but I was wrong. Today I strongly recommend learning more this language because it can help you a lot with your simple way of solving things. Thanks to all of you who have made this course possible.

By Nishani K

Aug 10, 2020

It was able understand the basics of data structures easily and work out the assignments.

By Ishaan k

May 2, 2020

I took the course as my foundation in python programming. It helped me learn some oops concepts as well as data structures. The bonus material is a plus for unmasking about why developers developed a particular thing. The course is somewhat basic and easy to understand. Thanks to Professor Chuck for making it understandable and a wonderful experience for students. The fact which i didn't like about this course is it is too basic and not much practically viable for students but it good for making fundamentals in python.

By Mary J

Jan 13, 2016

The book really gave more details about the individual chapters. Hence it was easy to do the assignments and quizzes without watching the videos.

I recommend that specializations should follow this trend, so students who find it difficult to access Internet can use the book as a guide.

More examples are needed to understand the concepts especially Tuples and DIctionary

By Andrew R K J

Sep 23, 2019

Teaching staff was not helpful & then rude. I asked for help & could not get. When I get help for free from colleagues, my assignment was turned down because it did not meet what was taught. It was a single line to remove duplicates. Yet, I could program this whole thin in Alteryx faster & cleaner than this course.

By Teodor

Jan 13, 2016

The course is really trivial. Maybe I was expecting so much, but the material is really to simple. Also there are a lot of material which lector things is fun and cool, but it is really anoying. Please, try to focus more on programming instead of being cool and fun. Thanks for understanding.

By Kundrpu M

Dec 19, 2019

bonous videos are not good

By Matthew B

Mar 2, 2016

No teaching. Just a guy talking. Do the problem sets for practice. If you need help, pause the videos and try the code out yourself.

Seriously though, a programming course where the teacher is not actively type out the code but just scribbling around it. He doesn't work through code but talks around the concepts.

By Chintan M

Apr 12, 2020

Again all the unnecessary talking!!! He talks a lotttttttttttttttttttt!!! Why so much of unnecessary talking? Why can't he just get to point straight away and making the video soooooooo long!!! Hate it!

By Hakan T

Dec 31, 2019

Horrible TAs. They should all be changed. They are extremely rude and annoying.

By Udit K

Feb 11, 2017

too

By Mainak D

Jun 6, 2020

This is the second course in the Python for Everybody specialization, and corresponds to the second half of the previous course of the same name. As with the first course (Getting Started with Python), I found Dr. Chuck's thorough approach to the material to be likely to be very approachable for a beginning programmer. I have some experience with Python, including the previous course and a course in the Genomic Data Science specialization, and I have a fair amount more experience programming using R, so I found this course very easy.The course introduces the common data structures in Python (lists, strings, files, dictionaries, tuples) and the functions used to manipulate them. Dr. Chuck does an excellent job of introducing each piece, although the course is a bit light on practice problems, and there are probably better resources for actually getting comfortable using these on a regular basis. The book "Learn Python the Hard Way" and the EdX course from MITx (6.00.1x) are supposed to be two of the best resources out there. I recently bought the first and enrolled in the second, so I'm hopeful that they will help me to become as comfortable programming in Python as I am in R.Overall, four stars. A gentle introduction to data structures in Python, but a little light on the exercises needed to become really proficient in using them.

By DESHPANDE S G

Jul 14, 2020

Absolutely amazing course!! The instructor, Dr. Charles Severance (popularly known as Dr. Chuck), is a very jolly and knowledgeable instructor. Just like in the previous course Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python), he has explained everything to the highest level of detail, and his main aim is to make everyone understand what he teaches, even someone who does not have a major computer/programming background. He has prepared great examples which help you understand every line of code, and help you apply them in your applications. Dr. Chuck insists upon you learning what every small detail is, and why it exists, which I like very much being an engineer, and everyone will like. The difficulty of the course is also very appropriate, i.e., every assignment is not very basic and straightforward, but not impossible, and is challenging and makes your brain work, a process in which you learn how to apply your programming skills to different cases as per requirement. Completing each exercise gives you great levels of satisfaction of having achieved something, learned something new. So, overall this course is a great pleasure to take and I am very much satisfied and very happy to have taken the time to complete this course, it is worth it!! Thank You for reading!! :) :D

By Duha

Nov 4, 2020

Great course! I have taken the first course in the Programming for everybody specialization (Getting started with Python) and it was a breeze as I had some background on the topics taught in the course. The concepts in This course however were all new to me! I managed to stay on track and finish the course within a reasonable amount of time. I found it to be challenging in a good way, and Dr. Severance's explanation and breakdown of the main concepts made it a very digestible course. The assignments got me spending hours and hours in front of the screen trying to find to write pieces of code that work, and fixing tracebacks. But I found the process to be quite joyful! I took the course as am planning to take a course in bioinformatics and I needed to develop some programming skills. Am very happy with where I have reached just by completing two courses in the specialization. I gained enough knowledge to actually write simple programs to partially analyze genome data! What am trying to say is, the course is great! Thank you SO MUCH Dr. Severance !