Back to Qualitative Research Methods

Qualitative Research Methods, University of Amsterdam

About this Course

In this course you will be introduced to the basic ideas behind the qualitative research in social science. You will learn about data collection, description, analysis and interpretation in qualitative research. Qualitative research often involves an iterative process. We will focus on the ingredients required for this process: data collection and analysis. You won't learn how to use qualitative methods by just watching video's, so we put much stress on collecting data through observation and interviewing and on analysing and interpreting the collected data in other assignments. Obviously, the most important concepts in qualitative research will be discussed, just as we will discuss quality criteria, good practices, ethics, writing some methods of analysis, and mixing methods. We hope to take away some prejudice, and enthuse many students for qualitative research....

By KF

Dec 21, 2018

I found this a very useful way of getting a basic introduction to qualitative research methods, without just sitting down with some text books. The content was engaging and at the right level for me.

By KO

May 29, 2017

Great course with a solid introduction to qualitative research methods. Loved the enthusiasm in the videos and the assignments were practical and great practice to use the methods taught.

174 Reviews

By Nalini

Mar 18, 2019

Thank you for the course. The reading you have recommended for the course was really helpful!

By Maria Chatzidionysiou

Mar 13, 2019

Compared to the Quantitative Methods, this one was more chaotic and not as structured/ Still, really good and the only thing that could be improved is to have the transcripts in pdfs and not just the ppts.

By Desaraju Shyama Sundari

Mar 06, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and have learnt a lot. The assignments were really helpful in improving the understanding. However, Providing correct answers for wrong attempts in the quiz would help in clearing our doubts.

By Naomi Kellogg

Mar 05, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. The professor is full of energy which made learning the material fun.

By Madhulika Sahoo

Mar 04, 2019

I love the course, enjoyed the lectures and the assignments. It's worth doing this MOOC course.

By Dinara Zhorobekova Zamirovna

Feb 23, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. I strongly reccomend this course!

By Nguyen Thanh Trung

Jan 14, 2019

Very helpful course for social researcher. As a design researcher, I have learnt how to analyse data more effectively.

By sumedha

Jan 10, 2019

It was a great learning experience. Being a sociology student I had some idea of the basics but the kind of knowledge that has broadened for me is unimaginable and each and every lecture of Prof. Gerben is extremely interesting, ethusiactic and loaded with information. Looking forward to attend his classes in person someday soon.

By Raditya Bagas Wicaksono

Jan 03, 2019

Excellent course and interesting topic!

By David Mwaniki

Jan 02, 2019

The course covers a lot of content and is a good introduction to the different aspects of qualitative research. However, i was a bit dissapointed with the content on coding, analysis and interpretation. I expected practical examples on the concepts taught rather than just theory. At the end, i didnt feel that i had understood the practical aspects that is so required.