Back to Qualitative Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Qualitative Research Methods by University of Amsterdam

In this course you will be introduced to the basic ideas behind the qualitative research in social science. You will learn about data collection, description, analysis and interpretation in qualitative research. Qualitative research often involves an iterative process. We will focus on the ingredients required for this process: data collection and analysis. You won't learn how to use qualitative methods by just watching video's, so we put much stress on collecting data through observation and interviewing and on analysing and interpreting the collected data in other assignments. Obviously, the most important concepts in qualitative research will be discussed, just as we will discuss quality criteria, good practices, ethics, writing some methods of analysis, and mixing methods. We hope to take away some prejudice, and enthuse many students for qualitative research....

KF

Dec 21, 2018

I found this a very useful way of getting a basic introduction to qualitative research methods, without just sitting down with some text books. The content was engaging and at the right level for me.

DR

Oct 09, 2016

The teacher is really passionate, everything's very clear and easy to understand. It's full of all the basic knowledge one needs to know about qualitative research methods to begin working with them.

201 - 225 of 296 Reviews for Qualitative Research Methods

Sep 07, 2016

Awesome!

By Ibrahim A K

Aug 10, 2020

good

By Cui L

good

By 王金娜

Oct 13, 2016

Aug 18, 2017

V

By Arwin v d P

Jun 21, 2017

This course is an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge on Qualitative Research. Prof. Gerben Moerman is one of the most excited teachers you'll ever 'watch' during any lesson, which makes it even more fun to watch all the lessons. On top of that, the course really touches upon the most important things about this kind of research in a very enjoyable (and not boring-lame-exhausting) way. You have to invest some serious time in doing your weekly tasks, but they are all interesting and easy to make you grab the essence of doing Qualitative Research. Overall, I enjoyed this course very much. It's a lot better than the experience I had at the faculty of religionstudies in Groningen, The Netherlands.

By Janis R

Sep 04, 2020

EXCELLENT lectures! The main negative is the lack of expert oversight. When students correct the work of other students without oversight, it is literally the blind leading the blind. One student marked me down on an issue that I know was correct, but no one of authority was there to say so. I confirmed my thoughts with a mentor, which took several days. Because of her answer, I know more about the issue, but the student who corrected me doesn't. He may still think his perspective is accurate. Other than that, I learned a lot and am very glad I took the course. I look forward to taking the next in the series.

By Tian R

Jun 17, 2020

Thank you for putting this course together. It provided a great introductory overview of qualitative research methods! In terms of feedback: I felt that the assignments could have been a bit more challenging. I felt some of them were too easy. Also, while completing my peer review tasks, I noted several times that many individuals failed to follow assignment instructions. Perhaps find a way to make these instructions more clear. With respect to course content, I would have liked to have seen more in depth information on how to conduct qualitative analysis (e.g., thematic analysis). Thanks again!

By Elina T

Aug 24, 2020

I truly enjoyed the course and the pedagogical lessons. Previously, I have struggled with the philosophical terms and I cannot claim of mastering them now but I definitely have a better clue. Thank you for the suggestions of literature, such as the book of Irving Seidman which I am now reading or the lectures of Graham Gibbs. The only small minus of the course is that I think qualitative analysis could have been given more space. Or are you planning a course on methods to analyse qualitative data?

By Stephan R

Jul 20, 2020

Overall a good course, covering a lot of relevant issues. Most of the assignments were really aligned with the content of the course (doing a real interview, analyzing and writing about it. The midterm and final test, however, do include few questions and correct answers which are absolutely debatable. I enjoyed the enthusiasm of Gerben, but his intensive non-verbal gestures distracted me from the content. I am sure he can do without it. Thanks and kind regards

By Vicken A

Jul 13, 2020

This is the second of 5-course specialization. The course is very well presented, from a very talented and devoted and knowledgeable instructor/professor. However, the course remains highly academic, with a huge focus on principles and theories. It is highly recommended for academic circles, particularly for the amount of bibliographic sources it provides (of which many are open source and available online).

By Samantha T

Feb 03, 2020

Overall - well-designed course from a learning perspective. From an examination perspective, often the midterm and final exams did not match up to the topics covered as it did in the Quantitative Research Methods. Being unfamiliar with the course content, I'm sure an expert opinion (someone who is quite familiar with the material) could see the parts examined being similar enough to the content.