Back to Qualitative Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Qualitative Research Methods by University of Amsterdam

In this course you will be introduced to the basic ideas behind the qualitative research in social science. You will learn about data collection, description, analysis and interpretation in qualitative research. Qualitative research often involves an iterative process. We will focus on the ingredients required for this process: data collection and analysis. You won't learn how to use qualitative methods by just watching video's, so we put much stress on collecting data through observation and interviewing and on analysing and interpreting the collected data in other assignments. Obviously, the most important concepts in qualitative research will be discussed, just as we will discuss quality criteria, good practices, ethics, writing some methods of analysis, and mixing methods. We hope to take away some prejudice, and enthuse many students for qualitative research....

KF

Dec 21, 2018

I found this a very useful way of getting a basic introduction to qualitative research methods, without just sitting down with some text books. The content was engaging and at the right level for me.

AW

Aug 31, 2019

Really enjoyed this course. The lectures were engaging, the assignments applicable. I really enjoyed being able to review other classmates' assignments from around the world. Very cool concept.

126 - 150 of 189 Reviews for Qualitative Research Methods

By Alejandro S

Oct 26, 2018

The classes are very interesting and useful to improve your research skills.

By Arman B K

Oct 31, 2018

As an economics student, I enjoyed this course tremendously. I had many biases when it came to qualitative methods but this course proved some of my views were completely wrong while some were proven to be justified. I appreciate the use of mixed methods as I have come to realise no single method of analysis is sufficient if we are to seek the truth. I will probably stick to quantitaive methods most of the time but this course has been an eye opener and will help me when researching topics which are researched in multiples disciplines (e.g economics and sociology).

Dr Moerman is a great teacher who can really make you fall in love with the subject matter.

By Giovanni G S M F

Oct 26, 2018

It´s a very interesting and useful course, the lecturer is very funny, and the contents are well exposed.

By Juliana M

Nov 16, 2018

The course is great! I came out of it with enough knowledge to start reading the books recommended by . the professor and I am having a very good time with them. The course gave me enough knowledge to be able to understand the area's language and apply some of the things I learned at my work.

By Carolina B

Sep 30, 2018

So good teacher!!

By SUSANTA P

Jul 21, 2019

great course to understand the qualitative research methodology.

By Bikash D

Jul 23, 2019

It's really a very good course. I am from technical background but Dr. Gerben Moerman taught in such an interesting way it's really very helpful to me. He created an interest for the subject. Really good course and really good teacher. I will ask those who are starting their Ph. D must do this course in their coursework.

By Santhosh K R

By Anna W

Aug 31, 2019

By Stephen O

Sep 16, 2019

Genuinely engaging and challenging. The more I engaged, the more I made sense of the challenge. I finish with a new set of useful skills to take forward in work and life.

By Siyad A E

Jul 17, 2018

A well organized course with excellent professor, thanks for your presentation on the video lectures!

By Liza S

May 29, 2016

Fun lecturer :)

By Ingo V

Jun 04, 2016

good; but not as good as the other modules in the specialisation; the instructions for the assignments are a bit too convoluted, clarity would be added not by adding more information, but by reducing the text.

By Minhal S K

Sep 22, 2016

The material is good and the professors quirky way of presenting is interesting to me at least. I'm enjoying his lectures and am able to follow his examples.

By Christel P

Jan 05, 2016

Clear videos's, structure is missing sometimes, but great examples

By deirdre d

Dec 03, 2015

it was a lot of work and there were some errors and issues, esp. trouble with peer review. the professor was dynamic and encouraging. content and most activities were very helpful.

By Julieta R G

Nov 17, 2017

Excellent in everthing! Fun and very interesting! One thing only would make it perfect. Instead of having the slides as notes, the same info could be organised differently in a word document, as it would be easier to read and to print out. But other than that, it was excellent! The prof. is engaging and the lectures very well orgaqnised. Besides, difficult material was made easy.

By Leonid P

Jun 07, 2016

Interesting and very special course ,because of it qualitative nature.Though this also adds the assessment problems.I would give a 5+ ,if not the assessment part.

By Michelle C M J

May 04, 2017

There is no reply in the forums. This is very bad. But the course, in general, was very good.

By Natalia P

Mar 27, 2016

Wish I could have more interactions and discussions with other students. Would help clarify notions

By Sandeep K

Jul 24, 2017

Good Course and provide me basic understanding of Qualitative Research Methods.I will be great if course PDF Transcript will be provided as in Quantitative course instead of Presentation Slides.

By Ramona R

May 04, 2018

Great basic course on qualitative methods, very practical.

By Marius P

Feb 10, 2016

good course, well thought through.

some of the lectures didn't quite get the message across clearly and some of the assignments didn't quite measure what they intended, but overall i was much impressed, thanks.

By Maria C F R

Dec 20, 2015

Very encouraging to go further on qualitative analysis.