Back to Qualitative Research Methods

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Qualitative Research Methods by University of Amsterdam

In this course you will be introduced to the basic ideas behind the qualitative research in social science. You will learn about data collection, description, analysis and interpretation in qualitative research. Qualitative research often involves an iterative process. We will focus on the ingredients required for this process: data collection and analysis. You won't learn how to use qualitative methods by just watching video's, so we put much stress on collecting data through observation and interviewing and on analysing and interpreting the collected data in other assignments. Obviously, the most important concepts in qualitative research will be discussed, just as we will discuss quality criteria, good practices, ethics, writing some methods of analysis, and mixing methods. We hope to take away some prejudice, and enthuse many students for qualitative research....

KF

Dec 21, 2018

I found this a very useful way of getting a basic introduction to qualitative research methods, without just sitting down with some text books. The content was engaging and at the right level for me.

AW

Aug 31, 2019

Really enjoyed this course. The lectures were engaging, the assignments applicable. I really enjoyed being able to review other classmates' assignments from around the world. Very cool concept.

226 - 248 of 248 Reviews for Qualitative Research Methods

By Jessica N

Feb 27, 2017

I found the video lectures less helpful with this course (than the quantitative course) and resorted to reading the transcripts in order to learn the important information. I did enjoy the assignments ( observation and interview processes) and found the application helped better understand the theory.

By Carol C

May 17, 2017

The readings were helpful but I would have liked to see more accessible articles. It's not possible to complete all the references during the 8 week course. BUT I will use them to further assist me with diving into my interview data. Thanks for the direction.

By Diede K

Aug 25, 2017

The amount of information is quite unstructured. I found it difficult to distinguish the essential information from the less important information. Besides that, the subtitles where really bad most of the time. Which was a pity. However, I still learned a lot.

By Candacee W

Sep 16, 2018

Difficult to understand some assignments and questions. Requires a great deal of work, in addition to attempting to understand what is being asked of students. Excellent content, though!

By Naohi I

Jul 10, 2017

The course materials and assignments were excellent, but it would be better if the faculty give me some kind of personal comments on our works.

By Bartosz K

Dec 10, 2015

Good, but it lacks proper materials to come back to - slides are very heavy and not clear and transcript is missing connections to slides.

By PHUONG T

Oct 13, 2016

I found this course very useful and would recommend it to friends if they are interested

By Fabian G

Dec 05, 2015

Very convoluted; examples not so clear; still interesting and well produced.

By Mark C

Mar 13, 2016

Dr Moerman is passionate about qualitative research and does use some interesting examples to illustrate his ideas, some of which are drawn from his own research experiences. Do note that if you were to take this course, you need time because the assignments are time consuming and the videos are (I think) a little longer than they really need to be. Also, some of the assignments are designed in a pretty strange way (e.g. one week's assignment requires a shocking 10 peer reviews to pass but when I took the course, there were only a few submissions). This probably means I can't get my cert until the next session starts - if I'm lucky!

By Tomoe I

The professor was very powerful, however this course is very academic and not the best if you are looking for hands-on qualitative research methods. Although I learned a lot of methods, unfortunately I could not understand each of them since they are just explained, not showing the informative examples.

By Jeanson-Jian W G L

Jan 08, 2018

Content of the lesson marred by extremely poor presentation. This is particularly egregious in regards to the assignments, and Quizzes, as a lack of fluency from the content writers makes the experience of knowing what precisely is being asked an unnecessarily frustrating process.

By Karina Z

May 22, 2016

I had done ALL the tasks in February-March - I don't remember exactly when, but I received my certificate in May. The course was interesting, but I needed the certificate for my application to university. Now I'm so dissapointed.

By Mateja K

Mar 13, 2016

The instructor's presentations are so irritating due to him acting in a jumpy, nervous, and hyper-excited manner that I could not stand watching the lectures. If you don't mind that, it's probably not a bad course.

By Lucy B

Jan 02, 2017

A very enthusiastic teacher, but the information was difficult to follow and some of the assessments took over 4 hours to complete. This made it hard to get the work done.

By Raju G

Nov 14, 2016

Very vague, abstract ideas in the lectures. Would be much better if more real-life examples and scenarios were used in the lectures to convey those abstract ideas.

By Abigail B

Feb 14, 2016

Video's were great but some of the assignments were unpractical and the tests were based on minuscule details.

By Rachael W

Apr 13, 2017

This course is not free. You must pay to access assignments and quizzes.

I am really annoyed with the direction Coursera is moving in regard to premium content. If they keep up this trend, I'll move to Class Central or other MOOCs.

By David C

Dec 11, 2016

Too theoretical and completely disliked it. Even too basic for an introductory course. I paid it and got unitl week 4 and just couldn't find the motivation to continue.

By Leung H

Jun 19, 2016

content is not good, too scattered content, cannot find focus.

assignments are meaningless.

By Anthony J M

Jun 28, 2016

Scattered lectures that are hard to follow and choppy

By Arun P A